A few Tips for the Noordam

smgapp

We were on the 3/31 Noordam- loved it despite it being overbooked & having tons of kids.I have a few tips that worked for us:

The port side (even number state rooms) had the best views when docking-we missed Tortola due to a medivac but in St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St Maarten and San Juan this was the side to be on since it faces the town- especially if you like to watch the docking process. I realize the ship might use different docks each time, but port side even numbers were best on this past cruise.

If you schedule a private tour (which we did in Dominica & Barbados) and the ship starts letting passengers off at 8am- you are best to schedule a pick up for the tour at 9 to avoid the big rush and lines to get off the ship .

There are great outdoor (and some indoor) market stands right where the cruise docks for good prices on souveniers (you can bargain) The stands were even open on Good Friday and Easter Sunday. We liked to end the day shopping at these markets since you were right near the ship and could shop until the last minute and not wait in line to board the ship.

Do not sign up for spa appts. as soon as you board the ship. Wait a few days- they have great specials later in the cruise. The best offers are while in port but call the spa and ask to set up the " port spa offers" at times while sailing, if they are not busy, they will set an appt. while sailing at the in port price (I did this twice on the cruise- sample in port special that I had while sailing- $99 for 20 min neck/back massage,20 min foot/ankle massage and 20 min exfoliation- it was great- but the next day which was our last day in port they offered the same deal plus a mini facial for $99- we also were able to get that while sailing)

When exiting the ship, the Noordam sells cold bottles of water at reasonable prices billed to your room- get your water here to avoid another stop. They also have beach towels for every port- you give the room number when you get the towel and return it.

I was not in a suite so had to ask my steward for room service order cards. It was great to have room service breakfast on the days we wanted to exit the ship early- when you list the time for delivery, it is best to list an earlier time slot since both times they delivered breakfast late. Also, you are able to add items such as iced tea and as another poster said, she added eggs benedict & they will deliver these items even though they are not on the room service breakfast card.

With open dining, there are seldom lines to get into dinner. We had the 8-9 late seating and would show up around 8:15 and there was never a line. Also, if you have kids, ask for the kid's menu (it has hot dogs,mac & cheese, chicken fingers and great chicken noodle soup which even the adults can order if feeling queasy).

If you have a cool day at sea (such as the first two days out of NYC)- go to the very top deck (I think it is 10- mid ship- they have cushioned wooden lounge chairs and they will give you wool blankets for covering so you can be outside and not cold (we did not discover these chairs until the last day.

If you just need to relax and get away from it all, the easy boy lounge chairs in the Crows nest area comfortable and have a great water view. My b-in-law often brought his lap top here to work & my dad who had hip and leg pain loved relaxing in the easy chairs.

We brought our own wine and wine openers but the rooms did not have wine glasses-we asked for them at the Atrium bar each day.

Check out all the food lines in Lido- at breakfast there is one line for great fluffy waffles, another is for custom made omelets, the other is for various dishes- i.e.: banana bread french toast; lemon pancakes, sliced ham, sausage, bacon etc... Same for lunch- there is a great taco bar by the mid pool with cooked hamburger and chicken taco meat-we often made taco salads, the burger/hot dog/chicken grill; inside there is always the good pizza, a line for panini sandwiches , the oriental food line which varies daily and the hot food line.

Water and iced tea are available around the clock in Lido. Juices are available in the morning or at the ice cream counter at lunch time.

Enjoy the Noordam!

Also, if you have kids, ask for the kid's menu (it has hot dogs,mac & cheese, chicken fingers and great chicken noodle soup which even the adults can order if feeling queasy).

The great thing is you don't have to be a "kid" to order from the childrens' menu---only a "kid at heart". :D

I particularly recommend the fingers and fries. ;)

Thanks, Smgapp, there are some excellent tips in your list, and lots of good local info to keep in mind for when Noordam comes back to her Caribbean runs in the fall. This weekend, however, she leaves the east coast for her Panama Canal transit to the west coast, where she will begin her Alaska run from May thru September before she returns again via the Panama Canal.

Thank you for taking the time to share what you know about the Noordam. It was very thoughtful of you!:)

"If you just need to relax and get away from it all, the easy boy lounge chairs in the Crows nest area comfortable and have a great water view."

I also discovered those lounge chairs in the Crow's Nest. What a great place for quiet and ocean viewing. Shhhh.

Archived