Dining room dress code, from Carnival website, new?

Glama

I went on my first cruise last September on the Legend - most nights in the dining room I wore capri's with a nice top, and a pair of slip on sandals (not flip flops). I did not feel out of place and did not think anyone was looking sideways at me - the only night I wore jeans to the dining room was the last night of the cruise but still wore a nice top. I get really confused reading these boards - was my attire out of place? Should I have worn a dress every night - oh lord - I do that every day for work and would hate the thought of pantyhose and a dress/skirt every night on vacation. I did dress up for the formal nights. How many suitcases do you take if you wear dresses every night to dinner? I would like to hear from some of the women as to exactly the kind of attire they do wear to dinner every night other than formal night.

P.S. - why do we have to bash others for their opinions - we all have opinions on things - some different from others, but doesn't mean the other person is wrong - this is the kind of thing that starts wars - and no I don't mean the debate on what to wear to dinner.

I will be going on my first cruise ever on June 17th on Conquest and my room is on the Lido deck. After reading all the comments about loud kids and especially the dress code confusion, I don't think I even want to go. The whole idea of the cruise is to relax and have a good time. I would think people going on a cruise are trying to do just that, have a good time. I came to this web site to help calm my nerves about going but it seems this site is for complaining rather than helping.

Let me clear this up for you. You will have a great time once you get on the ship. Wear what you want (not my idea, but Carnival's), the kids won't bother you, no one will antagonize you, and you will want to cruise again someday. ;)

I have a dilemma and would appreciate your thoughts. My 79 year old Dad is cruising for the first time in a couple of weeks. He has just gone through his wardrobe and found that his only proper jacket is too tight for him. All the stores around here do jackets but not his size which is a 52"chest. He is starting to worry about this and we intend to take him out to a shop next weekend that may be able to size him. He is 79 and does not want to spend loads of money on a jacket that will get limited wear. Would he be ok to wear a nice shirt and tie with a toning dark v neck cardigan on formal nights? He will be in a wheelchair so I guess may not be so noticeable. What do you think. My husband and I like to wear formal so we will dress accordingly, but I dont want to spoil Dads holiday for the sake of a silly jacket. Your thoughts please!!:)

I plan on having 1 pair of slacks and a nice top for dining on my cruise on formal night. I don't plan on packing a super formal outfit for 1 night of formal dining. I plan to be on vacation for 12 days total and need the packing space for other clothing/souvernirs. Very formal outfits and shoes take up too much room for this vacation.

I have to agree with other posters. I don't think it's that big of a deal what you wear. I think that shorts in the evening are probably against the dress code, but it's their vacation. If you feel like getting dressy, I don't see how that really detracts from your vacation. I understand one of the poster's idea about what you'd wear to a nice restaurant at home, and I agree with that. But I'm not going to let somebody else's dress bother me while I'm on vacation.

Your 79 year old father will be just fine. Bless him for still be able to travel and enjoy the precious time together. Don't worry about dress, my dh wore sweater vest,shirt and tie for dress on our last cruise and he was not out of place at all. Have a wonderful cruise with your father.

All the stores around here do jackets but not his size which is a 52"chest. He is starting to worry about this and we intend to take him out to a shop next weekend that may be able to size him. He is 79 and does not want to spend loads of money on a jacket that will get limited wear.

I have been hearing that thrift stores and consignment stores have a good choice of nice clothing. Maybe try that.

I have been hearing that thrift stores and consignment stores have a good choice of nice clothing. Maybe try that.

I dont know if you mean charity shops we have them in Britain, but my Dad would find that very unappealing. His generation didnt do the charity thing. Also in england his siz is rather large and it is very difficult to find his size generally. I expect charity shops would be no easier.

Thanks sunlover for your kind words. we will endeavour to find a decent jacket, but if the worst happens and we cant find one, I will remember what you said and not worry about it xxx thanks

I have a dilemma and would appreciate your thoughts. My 79 year old Dad is cruising for the first time in a couple of weeks. He has just gone through his wardrobe and found that his only proper jacket is too tight for him. All the stores around here do jackets but not his size which is a 52"chest. He is starting to worry about this and we intend to take him out to a shop next weekend that may be able to size him. He is 79 and does not want to spend loads of money on a jacket that will get limited wear. Would he be ok to wear a nice shirt and tie with a toning dark v neck cardigan on formal nights? He will be in a wheelchair so I guess may not be so noticeable. What do you think. My husband and I like to wear formal so we will dress accordingly, but I dont want to spoil Dads holiday for the sake of a silly jacket. Your thoughts please!!:)

Absolutely, he won't feel out of place, he just might be a bit warm with the cardigan, and honestly, he doesn't need EITHER. The shirt and tie will be just fine. :) I hope you guys have a great cruise!

Consignment shops in the U.S. are where people take gently used or never used clothing for resale at a lower price. Maybe you don't have them in the U.K. They are different than the charity shops. Anyway, I'm sure if you can't find a jacket your father will look very nice with the vest. BTW, my husband is also a 52 chest. Luckily I talked him into a new suit that works well for weddings, funerals and cruises. :)

Consignment shops in the U.S. are where people take gently used or never used clothing for resale at a lower price. Maybe you don't have them in the U.K. They are different than the charity shops. Anyway, I'm sure if you can't find a jacket your father will look very nice with the vest. BTW, my husband is also a 52 chest. Luckily I talked him into a new suit that works well for weddings, funerals and cruises. :)

Hi Deb, thanks for the explanation. We have the same thing in the UK, but they are called charity shops. its where people give hardly worn clothes and all monies raised goes to the relevant charity. I think I lost a little in translation. the problem with Dad is he sees this as a place for giving his old, unused/hardly used stuff. But would not consider buying from them. Its a bit of an old fashioned attitude, I'm afraid. But the good news is I have found a shop that sells up to a 58" chest and will order in quickly if they havent got the size. This shop is a couple of miles from me. So we are going at the weekend and should be able to solve the problem. Thank you all for your kind words, suggestions and understanding.

Lesley

I called carnival before I went on my recent cruise and they said you can wear jeans in the dining room. On formal night the majority of the people were not in formal dresses and tuxedos. Vacation, Vacation, Vacation. Carnival does not make a big deal out of it. ON formal and regular dinner nights they greeted everyone the same as they came in the dining room. They greeted people with jeans on, shorts, slacks, tuxedos, formal gowns, regular dresses, etc.

Archived