You think it's worth getting dressed up?

rti

We are going on a 12 night cruise to the Mediter. I'm almost thinking about skipping the 2 formal nights. I won't have to pack so much. Am I going to be making a big mistake? Thanks for any hints!

I love the entire experience of dining in the dining room when on a cruise instead of grabbing food off a cafeteria line. I would throw in a nice dress with a couple jackets or scarves and wear the same thing for both nights.

I just love being waited on.

jettaleea

We are going on a 12 night cruise to the Mediter. I'm almost thinking about skipping the 2 formal nights. I won't have to pack so much. Am I going to be making a big mistake? Thanks for any hints!

You could get a floor length black jersey dress that you could throw in your suitcase just in case. A couple of different accessories and you could wear the dress both nights.

I wish every night was formal! I love dressing up. I am glad they arent really but would like to see no casual nights in the dining room after the first night. It is part of the whole cruising experience.

I would toss in a skirt, couple of tops, and use the same shoes and skirt both nights if you dont want a lot of extra packing.

Europeans tend to dress up more than Americans in general. My husband is Turkish and he wears a silk sport coat with his jeans, just to go out to drink beer with his friends. Hooking up friends at Starbucks - jeans, dress shoes, button down shirt and if it is cool, suede jacket or sport coat.

You could get a floor length black jersey dress that you could throw in your suitcase just in case. A couple of different accessories and you could wear the dress both nights.

You and Karen are the fashion guru's! Yall both come up with some great ideas!

I enjoy the formal nights and think I'd be missing something if I didn't participate... not the food, I'd get fed... but I'd miss the experience. I also always buy the formal night pictures, so there's that to factor in.

That said, I sometimes think from reading these boards about all the "panic over formal night" and "need formal night help" and then the weighing in on whether something is "formal" enough of "would do for formal night" that we're doing what brides-to-be do... we're worrying too much over the "ceremony" and not enough about the "marriage."

In other words, formal night IS NOT worth stressing over so much before you cruise that you don't enjoy yourself once you get on the ship! And worrying about what a bunch of strangers think is not worth it at all, in my opinion.

People will eat regardless of what they're wearing. Some who spend hundreds of dollars on sparkly attire might be offended that you didn't spend as much which, in their opinion, somehow negates their trouble. I've seen people eat on cruises dressed in formals seated at tables with people who have on "church-going" attire. The ship doesn't sink. Everyone gets full.

If they want to go through the trouble and expense, that's their business, and if you don't, that's yours.

I'm anticipating flames. Knock yourselves out.

On a 12-day cruise--there will probably be 3 formal nights. I wouldn't skip them, I love to dress up. For a longer trip and more strict luggage/weight requirements these days, I'd pack 2 jersey dresses, wear one of them twice. Or pack one dress, one skirt, two tops.

I think it all depends on why you are taking the cruise. If you are even slightly romantic and like the tradition of cruising then you will definetely want to dress to the nines for all formal nights and get your husband to wear his tuxedo. Magical things can happen.

On the other hand if you are just using the ship as transportation to a lot of ports, then maybe dressing up will be a hassle for you and you might consider leaving the fancy home but I believe that once on board, you will be disapointed not to have brought your formal gear.

Of course if you are on an NCL Med cruise then forget about the formal attire as you will stick out like a sore thumb. The passengers on that line revel in the fact that they can attend all functions in their sweats and jeans. Different lines for different folks.

This is a very personal question ..everyone is different! Some people cruise simply for the travel...some for the cruise and some for both! I belong to the latter and have purchased a garment bag along with my suitcase to make my packing less frustrating...the outfits I take are not large formal gowns but are light weight elegant outfits with lots of great jewellery and I love dressing up!:p

are two more dresses and the same pair of shoes for both going to really cause that much more packing?? There are probably other things you can do without.

I think the formal idea just adds to the "specialness" of the trip. Who is not to say that when you see others dressed you might think "gee, that looks special, wish we'd done that"

I think you are all right! I think I would be sorry if I didn't dress up for the formal nights. I even have a large choise to choose from in my own closet. I think that the airlines have gotten so strict about baggage allowance that I was taking the easy way out!! Thank you

Exactly what I"d suggest.

Dressing up is VERY much a part of the cruise adventure!

DH gets (almost) as big a kick out of it as I do! On a 12 night cruise, you will miss many of the best meals with the very best service.

I NEVER miss formal nights--and always try to look my best! We have been cruising for over 30 years--and we still enjoy EVERY minute--but ESPECIALLY formal nights!!:D

Whatever you decide--enjoy your trip.

The fact that you said "almost" skipping the 2 formal nights makes me suggest that you should bring something just in case.

I like the idea of packing something lightweight in your suitcase. My formals take up little room in my suitcase and I try to coordinate them so that I do not have to pack as many shoes.

You could be making a big mistake if you don't allow yourself the option of going to formal night.

I take the clothes and get dressed up for formal nights. Mostly because I can't stand eating at a buffet ever, not on land or sea :rolleyes: . If we could afford a suite, we'd consider room service, but a typical cabin with a small balcony, nah, I'm not into balancing my food on my lap. I'll save those times for picnics.

I love being served and a cruise is a luxury, I'd not want to miss the service :) .

I love dressing up and wish more also did! It adds to the ambiance of the night! I also understand eurpeans love to dress so many will be dressed up.

I say if you want to save on packing buy a nice gown in a no wrinkle material and make it look differant with wraps and jewelry.

I have 3 formal nights on my fall cruise and plus we are arriving 4 days ahead of the cruise. I have one formal skirt in black and three nice formal tops that have pretty buttons etc.(no heavy beads!) so I can look a little differant each night. I also am bringing slacks and skirts in nice neutral colors,that I can dress up for the informal nights and wear less casual tops with them for the casual nights.

I have bought several things in those no wrinkle, hand wash knits,(see Lois's thread on West End) that can double for day and casual night wear that I can rinse out myself and not worry about having them pressed. so I actually will pack much less then I usually do for my 7 day caribbean cruises! (plus if I pick up a little weight they will still fit!)

Have fun!

I think you should take at least 1 dressy outfit just in case you change your mind after skipping the 1st formal night !

I never dress up in my 'everyday' life so formal nights on a cruise are once a year opportunity to wear my special clothing. I usually bring a long black jersey skirt and 2 dressy blouses (no sparkles and sequins for me).

You will see women dressed from ball gowns to 'mother-of-the-bride' type dresses to pants with simple tops.

You can wear something that makes you feel special and enjoy the evening. Don't be afraid of the formal night !

Since you are going on a Med cruise, bring a simple black dress that you can dress up with that special gold jewelry you are going to buy in Italy !!!

I enjoy formal nights, too - but I also try to pack "small." I'm a big fan of crepe palazzo pants - they don't wrinkle and take up almost no space. I've used the black ones with a slinky tank and sheer poncho one night and then another night with an animal print T covered in clear sequins for glitter. Everything packed up tiny and wrinkle-free. Also have ivory ones to pair with gold or pastel tops. You could also wear a long skirt if you prefer, but these are so full that it's hard to tell they are pants.

I remember many (OK, many, many, many) years ago when I was in college and flew to attend a formal - the gown took up an entire suitcase! Those days are long gone.

Archived