Binoculars

Retired 07

Do any of you couples out there take 2 pairs of binoculars? My wife seems to think that we'd each need a pair, but, I don't think it's a necessary expense. Just wondering if any of you wished you had an extra pair. Thanks.

It depends where you are going. If you are going to Denali or one of the boat trips from Seward, I would definitely take two pair - the only reason not to might be if one person has a long telefoto lens on their camera that could act as a zoom. On the cruise itself, it could be debateable though I would probably recommend one for each person on the ship too.

We were in Alaska 2005 and I think its very necessary to have two pairs of Binoculars! It is no fun standing around while the other person is looking into the binoculars and telling you they can see a bald eagle or anything and you cannot see it ! lol They are super for viewing the Glaciers too..and if you are like us, we will be using them again, so its an investment.

Ha--we're taking THREE pairs of binoculars. My husband is a little crazy (one pair each for the ship, then a smaller/cheaper pair to take off the ship....) But we're not buying new--we've had several pairs for ages, hubby takes a pair on all vacations and we use them at home too.

Do any of you couples out there take 2 pairs of binoculars? My wife seems to think that we'd each need a pair, but, I don't think it's a necessary expense. Just wondering if any of you wished you had an extra pair. Thanks.

We took only one binocular during our vacation in Hawaii. We realized that it was not fun to switch binoculars among several people. We got another pair after as soon as we got home so both DH and I will have our own for Alaska trip. With grandkids coming with us, my DH is bugging me for another set... If it fits in your budget, go for it. It is not that expensive comparing to excursion itself. Besides, we start using our new binoculars for the hockey games which we have season passes, which worked out great.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=455029&highlight=zen-ray

Many, many have bought these base on this recommendation including me. VERY pleased with them... And they are currently on a special where you get a second pair free for Mother's day... I think I will get a second pair myself after reading this thread...

Thanks Dave...I appreciate the info......WHO is having the two-for-one special?

check here: http://www.zen-ray.com/store

The website lists the coupon code JUSTFORMOM. As another thread says, it is buying one 10x42 SUMMIT waterproof binocular, get a 10x25 binocular for free. I think that's an awesome deal. I don't mind for getting one for free. Two thumbs up for their product and service!

BTW, DW and I always carry our own binos when we head out for weekend hiking trip. We took two binos last year to Alaska and they perform phenomenally. This year, I will bring my spotting scope with me after reading a fellow cruiser's comment on this board.

We have taken two pair of binoculars on both of our Alaska cruises (and all the others)!!! A large pair and a compact pair. And our main goat is wildlife viewing, with bear trips, whalewatching, etc. We have used them very little. I carry a dslr camera with a long lense, and my wife carries the digital videocam with 10 or 12x zoom. So unless I was trying to see some detail close up from a long way away, I don't need them. On our denali NP tours, we have been lucky enough to see bear, caribou, moose, sheep/goats, two wolf packs and eagles all up close.

We tend to use them more on board, especially when we are sitting out on deck or looking for whales from ship.

Are the compact ones they show on the zen-ray website any good. I have to buy 4 pairs, as we are taking the kids and they will want their own, but 1) I don't want to be stuck lugging around 4 pairs of heavy binoculars and 2)700$ in binoculars is kind of out of the budget right now.

Any suggestions for a cheaper but decent model. I don't care if they are not the best.

We have bought two pairs. If your on Hal and in a S suite or above they provide you with binoculars for the cruise. Can't say for other lines. Several of the excursions have mentioned that they also provide binoculars during their trips. However, we enjoy the independence of having our own. There are moments that a couple would not be together for a few minutes during a cruise or excursion and it is nice to have your own pair of binoculars if the need arises to use them. Though I have to admit that there are many cruise itinararies other than Alaska that the need for two would not be as high.

Are the compact ones they show on the zen-ray website any good. I have to buy 4 pairs, as we are taking the kids and they will want their own, but 1) I don't want to be stuck lugging around 4 pairs of heavy binoculars and 2)700$ in binoculars is kind of out of the budget right now.

Any suggestions for a cheaper but decent model. I don't care if they are not the best.

Sue, how old are your kids? If they are young, the full size binoculars might not be the best option for them. When we went to Alaska last year, our friends' son (7 year old) was playing with a 8x22 compact his dad got him in the last minute.

Judging from my experience of using their SUMMIT binoculars, I would think their compact binos should be ok. Someone who actually has it might give you some input. Happy cruising!

Sue, how old are your kids? If they are young, the full size binoculars might not be the best option for them. When we went to Alaska last year, our friends' son (7 year old) was playing with a 8x22 compact his dad got him in the last minute.

Judging from my experience of using their SUMMIT binoculars, I would think their compact binos should be ok. Someone who actually has it might give you some input. Happy cruising!

I call them kids (they will always be my babies) but they are in fact adults, being 19 and 21. So they need something decent, but I am paying for everything and I am quickly going broke :p

I am paying for everything and I am quickly going broke :p

Tell me about it. :)

My DH won. He went ahead and bought the B1G1F deal last night for our grandkids (one is 17, another one 11). At least I don't have to get those for my kids figuring they got their own jobs and can afford those themselves.:D

SueL, I'm in the same boat as you ;) as far as not wanting to spend big bucks on binoculars. I found some on Amazon.com for $30

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Roamer-Compact-Porro-Binocular/dp/B00006FDUG/ref=sr_1_1/104-9896068-0682355?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1177097139&sr=1-1

They had a high rating and are supposed to be delivered today.:p

SueL, I'm in the same boat as you ;) as far as not wanting to spend big bucks on binoculars. I found some on Amazon.com for $30

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Roamer-Compact-Porro-Binocular/dp/B00006FDUG/ref=sr_1_1/104-9896068-0682355?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1177097139&sr=1-1

Let me know how they are, that would be perfect!!!

We take a pair of binocs for each person. You might consider seeing if you can borrow from friends. It does seem that if you're only using them for that one week (and maybe never again) it would be worthwhile to limit the expense.

jmo

-Monte

Nice lead. I wonder if the 10x Olympus that comes up in the "Did you know" box is any good. They're not much more.

-Monte

Nice lead. I wonder if the 10x Olympus that comes up in the "Did you know" box is any good. They're not much more.

-Monte

That's the type of the binoculars I have found difficult to use in the past because the eye relief is very short and eye piece is also small. After following Dave's original post, my upgrade to 10x42 format is a huge step forward in truly experiencing the pleasure viewing through binoculars. I think the 10x21 will be slightly dimmer than the 8x21 format. However, comparing to my 10x42, it will be at least 4 times (objective lens area is 4 times smaller) dimmer, not considering the optics coating factor. :D :D

For $35, there probably won't be too much to regret over if you don't like it. But speaking from past experience, I would definitely go straight to a high quality full size binoculars had I read this board before.

Originally posted by Sue L

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyKnott

SueL, I'm in the same boat as you as far as not wanting to spend big bucks on binoculars. I found some on Amazon.com for $30

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Roamer...7097139&sr=1-1

They had a high rating and are supposed to be delivered today.

Let me know how they are, that would be perfect!!!

Well the binoculars showed up as promised. Boy are they small! I knew they were compact and I did check the dimensions, but when I took them out of the box, they looked tiny!

In a test here at home, I was able to see objects half a mile away very clearly. As for eye fatigue, I can see where that could be a problem. Since I don't expect to use them too much after the cruise except for an occasional baseball game, I'm happy with the purchase.

Well the binoculars showed up as promised. Boy are they small! I knew they were compact and I did check the dimensions, but when I took them out of the box, they looked tiny!

In a test here at home, I was able to see objects half a mile away very clearly. As for eye fatigue, I can see where that could be a problem. Since I don't expect to use them too much after the cruise except for an occasional baseball game, I'm happy with the purchase.

That is just what I wanted to know. I am not going to be using them much either afterwards, the kids will probably take them to concerts and such. They sound perfect for my needs, off to order. thanks so much

Most of the eye fatigue is caused by mis-alignment between two barrels of lens as a result of poor workmanship and quality control. It is not the compact size to blame. I have a pair of Zeiss BT 8x20 and it is as reliable as old faithful. As a natural response, your eyes try to compensate for that difference and will feel stressed after a short period. When this happens, try to take a break every 30 seconds to relax your eyes. Happy cruising!

Wyknott, I think Amazon is making the same NASA mistake here. Their product page shows

Product Dimensions: 9.5 x 6.1 x 2.7 inches ;

It is bigger than my 10x42 fully size binoculars (5.7x5x2.2 inches)! :D:D I think those units should be in centimeter and translate into (3.6 x 2.2 x 1 inch). Yeah, they are tiny! So, it is not your fault when what you pictured is not what you see. :)

Archived