Cabin coffee makers

goingsomewhere

Both answers depend on what ship and what category cabin. When we were in an AB on the Dawn, the coffee maker held 4 cups (2 mugs) of coffee; similar to what you find in hotel rooms. And, there were 2 DVD players. I believe that only categories AE and above had both coffee makers and DVD players. Others had pots that only heat water, with individual coffee singles, I think.

Many of the newer ships(e.g. the Pearl, Jewel) have four cup coffee makers in each room. Some ships only have "water heaters" for instant coffee in the rooms. The newer ship have deluxe coffee makers (large coffee, expresso, cappucino machines) in the Penthouse Suites.

We had a balcony on BE and we only had a Coffee pot 'heater' with a few packages of instant coffee. The regular coffee on the ship was great, that is, if you like strong coffee. I drank a lot of the coffee and espresso and enjoyed it.

We had a balcony on BE and we only had a Coffee pot 'heater' with a few packages of instant coffee. The regular coffee on the ship was great, that is, if you like strong coffee. I drank a lot of the coffee and espresso and enjoyed it.

Which Norwegian were you on?

We have found that on every cruise we've been on that room-service coffee and the coffee in the dining rooms was much, much better than what was served in the buffet area.

Since your cabin will likely have the water "heater," you may want to consider Folgers singles. They're not bad.

Instant coffee.....:eek: .....cringe....

I actually thought about bringing a coffee maker but I won't. I'll live with what they serve. I've done it before. Cruises just tend to have really bad coffee.

First... Goingsomewhere, you're little camera guy is too cute. :D Second... I agree with the not being able to support bad coffee. I'd rather drag along all of my coffee equipment, than drink a cup of brown water.:p Glad to hear the Pearl has coffee makers. Instant is an assault on the palate.

Cruised SUN March 2006 in a BA (I believe) balcony. Had a 4 cup coffee maker, but the coffee was terrible. Next trip I'll bring my own. Got enough creamer and sugar from the buffet. Also the room had a DVD player.

We were on the Sun in Feb. 2007 and had a balcony cabin. The balcony cabins have a coffee maker that makes 4 cups. We knew this ahead of time and brought cone filters and Starbucks ground coffee. It was the best decision we made. The smell of freshly brewed coffee and sitting on the deck with our cup of amazing coffee...I dream about it now!

First... Goingsomewhere, you're little camera guy is too cute. :D Second... I agree with the not being able to support bad coffee. I'd rather drag along all of my coffee equipment, than drink a cup of brown water.:p Glad to hear the Pearl has coffee makers. Instant is an assault on the palate.

:) LOL

I have a small maker that just needs grounds put in and hot water poured over them. :D ... and, if I get a four cup maker in the cabin, even better. Either way, I'm ready. A balcony and a good pot of freshly brewed java, it doesn't get much better for me. :)

We were on the Sun in Feb. 2007 and had a balcony cabin. The balcony cabins have a coffee maker that makes 4 cups. We knew this ahead of time and brought cone filters and Starbucks ground coffee. It was the best decision we made. The smell of freshly brewed coffee and sitting on the deck with our cup of amazing coffee...I dream about it now!

Whooot! :D I'm hear you!

I would highly, highly, highly (can I say that again? :)) recommend taking your own coffee maker and coffee. We just got back from the Jewel and we only had a water heater, not a coffee pot, in our BB balcony cabin. All the coffee on board came from a machine (even the dining room coffee) and tasted horrible. Bad flavor, too strong and they served it with milk instead of half and half. The instant stuff in the room was actually better, if that gives you an idea about how bad it was. NCL really needs to find a new supplier!

We found that the cafe latte and cappuccinos had enough milk in them to cover the bad taste. If you drink coffee at all, bring your own.

On the bright side, the ship's water was great. I wish my tap water at home tasted that good.

Remember that you can order cappuccino (sp?), espresso or double espresso in the dining rooms at no extra charge. DH and I have drank our way through lots of double espressos on our cruises (and hope to continue to do so). I will add that I'm not a big fan of the in-room coffee and I'll normally drink any coffee as long as it doesn't have sugar in it :D

I would highly, highly, highly (can I say that again? :)) recommend taking your own coffee maker and coffee. We just got back from the Jewel and we only had a water heater, not a coffee pot, in our BB balcony cabin.

Really? On JEWEL? I'm shocked! I've had the real makers in balcony cabins on Sun, Star, Spirit, Pride of America, Pride of Hawaii and Pearl (haven't sailed on Jewel). I'd be heartbroken!

and they served it with milk instead of half and half.

WHAT??? Ugh. Can't stand that. Every ship mentioned above had the peel-pak half and half containers for me to use. I object to them for ecological reasons, so I have gone and purchased a little half-pint for my fridge, but I never got milk.

If you do get the coffee maker (I was in a BA on Sun two years ago and had one) they use little sealed pouches of Folgers. You need two to make a decent brew. I brought my own fluted (not cone) filters and grounds from home. When my daughter came with me she brought Starbucks; I don't need it on a daily basis and I drink too much coffee for it to be practical in any event.

Anyway, I'm with you, OP, on coffee issues. The real coffee pot in the room is one of the little touches that has me enamored of NCL.

If you end up with the water boiler, you can beg your steward to get you a real pot, they have them.

Jana

Really? On JEWEL? I'm shocked! I've had the real makers in balcony cabins on Sun, Star, Spirit, Pride of America, Pride of Hawaii and Pearl (haven't sailed on Jewel). I'd be heartbroken!

Yes, really. :) I guess I could have asked the steward for a coffee pot but I wouldn't have had any coffee to put in it. Anyway, I got by on the cafe lattes but I would definitely bring my own pot and coffee next time.

The coffee was really strong and straight milk just wouldn't cut through it. Some real half and half or cream would have helped.

Jewel, I loved you but your coffee's got to go!

• 1 month later...
How many cups of coffee does the coffee makers brew?

Also, is there DVD players?

OK, I can now answer my own questions...

No DVD, but more than enough tv but no time for that anyway; way too much to see.

We had a 4 cup coffee maker with leaded and non-leaded brew packets. I tried making coffee once and it was gross. I brought my own coffee but didn't need it since the coffee in the buffet was ample to put into my travel mug. The coffee was strong and I didn't like it until I watered it down with their hot water. The coffee in other dinners on ship was to my liking. Next time I won't worry about my coffee, I was satisfied with what I had with my daily breakfast at the omlete station. :D

we are just off the ncl pearl and the coffee pot we had in our inside cabin was a four cup maker . they gave us folgers reg. brew and decaf. i found that the coffee in our cabin much better that in the main dining room. much, much too strong for me.

we are just off the ncl pearl and the coffee pot we had in our inside cabin was a four cup maker . they gave us folgers reg. brew and decaf. i found that the coffee in our cabin much better that in the main dining room. much, much too strong for me.

I loved the coffee - although sometimes getting to the buffet area to early (5 am) coffee was not ready. I did start it myself one morning!

Archived