Order of arrival of Queens in NYC on 13 Jan 2008

Runaway

As QE2 and QV are due to meet up with QM2 in USA waters prior to sailing into NYC on 13 Jan 2008, does anyone have thoughts on the order in which they will sail under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge before all three berth, hopefully, in the Hudson? If so, will they enter the port by seniority, bearing in mind their individual schedules have QE2 and QV arriving at 07:00 and QM2 at 07:15am? What's your best guess, or do we have someone in the know?

Leone

As QE2 and QV are due to meet up with QM2 in USA waters prior to sailing into NYC on 13 Jan 2008, does anyone have thoughts on the order in which they will sail under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge before all three berth, hopefully, in the Hudson? If so, will they enter the port by seniority, bearing in mind their individual schedules have QE2 and QV arriving at 07:00 and QM2 at 07:15am? What's your best guess, or do we have someone in the know?

Leone

I doubt anyone knows......

Matthew

QE2 and QV arriving at 07:00 and QM2 at 07:15am?

Matthew's right - we don't know - but from the schedule - and assuming the QM2 docks in Brooklyn, the QE2/QV Manhattan, QE2/QV will enter first as its another hour or so up the North River to the West Side piers, - which suggests they will pass Brooklyn around 6am, the QM2 an hour later. They may of course choreograph something else on the day.

Peter

Once again, I must report, that my Travel Agent inquired again yesterday (April 19, 2007), and the answer from Cunard was that the QE2 would dock at Pier 12 in Brooklyn. So, this seems from the Horse's Mouth. So where, oh, where, do all of you get the idea that the QE2 may dock on the Hudson in Manhattan? Is it wishful thinking? Why is it not common sense to assume that what comes from Cunard is THE TRUTH?

Once again, I must report, that my Travel Agent inquired again yesterday (April 19, 2007), and the answer from Cunard was that the QE2 would dock at Pier 12 in Brooklyn. So, this seems from the Horse's Mouth. So where, oh, where, do all of you get the idea that the QE2 may dock on the Hudson in Manhattan? Is it wishful thinking?

OK - get your TA to ask where they are going to dock the QM2 - wonder if its Pier 12 as well......and the QV........

Why is it not common sense to assume that what comes from Cunard is THE TRUTH?

Sorry, I haven't had such a good giggle in ages.........:D:D:D:D:D

Matthew's right - we don't know - but from the schedule - and assuming the QM2 docks in Brooklyn, the QE2/QV Manhattan, QE2/QV will enter first as its another hour or so up the North River to the West Side piers, - which suggests they will pass Brooklyn around 6am, the QM2 an hour later. They may of course choreograph something else on the day.

Peter

Psst. The Hudson River is to the west of Manhattan Island and the East River flows along the east side, between it and Brooklyn. Just in case anyone has a map and/or wishes to follow along.

I think Matthew and Peter are right ... but then, so much can change. I have called Cunard -- God Bless the 800 number system -- three times and recieved three different versions of "what might happen."

They all seem to say the QM2 will come up from Florida and wait before the bridge for the incoming QE2 and QV ... then they "arrive" ... and no one will say how or where.

I have posted before I cannot imagine the suits at Cunard would blow the photo opportunity of three Cunard Queens together in a line at the West Side piers ..... the Mary would stick out into the river a bit but she has done that before. Think of what a photo that would be, even if they just do it for "photo ops" and then have the Mary go to Red Hook if river authorities fuss about her length.

I have yet to see any two ships at Red Hook the same time, and cannot think the inner basin could be used by a Queen.

The best assumption has the QM2 in Red Hook and the QE2 in Manhattan first, to then "salute" the QV? No matter, it will be quite a day ... pray that it will be clear and dry.

(I've asked travel agents, too ... they haven't, mine, had anything "official.")

Ab

Psst. The Hudson River is to the west of Manhattan Island

On QE2's last crossing to Manhattan John Maxtone Graham, (or Ted Scull, I forget which) mentioned that when it flows past Manhattan, the 'Hudson' is called the 'North River'.....But I'm not a New Yorker......

Peter

All Right, already, Angela. So I am not a Yankee and don't know the Hudson from the East River. But I do know that Cunard has told me or my TA on two different occasions within the past two weeks that the "QE2 will embark from Pier 12 in Brooklyn on January 13, 2008." I suppose that is Red Hook! You look it up, honey.

I cannot imagine the suits at Cunard would blow the photo opportunity of three Cunard Queens together in a line at the West Side piers ..... the Mary would stick out into the river a bit but she has done that before.

If it was up to them I'm sure they would - but afaik the Coastguard asked that the QM2 stop sticking her stern out into the North river.....so they'd need to get a dispensation......who knows......

Peter

Cunard has told me or my TA on two different occasions within the past two weeks that the "QE2 will embark from Pier 12 in Brooklyn on January 13, 2008."

Until Cunard also tells your TA where they plan to put both the QV and QM2, also in New York on the same day - I won't believe them! Especially since the QM2 is no longer cleared to dock in Manhattan.....

Peter

All Right, already, Angela. So I am not a Yankee and don't know the Hudson from the East River. But I do know that Cunard has told me or my TA on two different occasions within the past two weeks that the "QE2 will embark from Pier 12 in Brooklyn on January 13, 2008." I suppose that is Red Hook! You look it up, honey.

I'm sure that's what your TA said. What we are now discussing is the possibility of there being a change, and the three Queens would all be together possibly on the West side of Manhattan. Or at the Brooklyn Terminal (Red Hook).

Obviously they are going to want to have the three of them together, somewhere! Would you care to hazard a guess? We haven't started taking bets yet.

All I know for sure is we will be on QM2, plodding and slogging our way up from the Caribbean and will be meeting the other two somewhere. And ending up somewhere.

On QE2's last crossing to Manhattan John Maxtone Graham, (or Ted Scull, I forget which) mentioned that when it flows past Manhattan, the 'Hudson' is called the 'North River'.....But I'm not a New Yorker......

Peter

That's a new one for me. Wonder what it's supposed to be north of? Oh well, it's the one on the left as you head towards NYC. And Brooklyn is on the right.

Perhaps they'll have them all pose by the Statue of Liberty before they split up and head for their resepctive docks?

My own feeling is that the people at Cunnard keep saying "Red Hook" because that was where the QE2 world cruise departed this year ..... but I doubt that any one really knows .... unless it is a couple of the higher ups who are keeping this to themselves until they can spring it on us with drum rolls and fanfare ..... and I am willing to bet we don't know until much closer to sailing. :D

Maybe it is because the river comes from the North?

True, NY-ers, well, those in Manhattan, do call it the North River ... which it isn't, a river that is, because it is a tidal estuary in Manhattan, deeper than the body of water it flows into.

And a fat lot those at 50th Street and the end of the 10th Street Pier care about that!

and I am willing to bet we don't know until much closer to sailing. :D

What, like Jan 12th.:p

I said on another thread I would imagine that the Mayors office and the Port Authority would try and berth all three on the Hudson. What a photo op for the city.

I said on another thread I would imagine that the Mayors office and the Port Authority would try and berth all three on the Hudson. What a photo op for the city.

Indeed - not to mention Cunard.

But think of poor old Victoria, somewhat outclassed in that company!

Matthew

Why is it not common sense to assume that what comes from Cunard is THE TRUTH?

Because so much of what comes form Cunard is contradictory on other subjects that it seems common sense to take what they say in this case with a pinch of salt!

Maybe it is because the river comes from the North?

True, NY-ers, well, those in Manhattan, do call it the North River ... which it isn't, a river that is, because it is a tidal estuary in Manhattan, deeper than the body of water it flows into.

And a fat lot those at 50th Street and the end of the 10th Street Pier care about that!

This is starting to give me a headache.:)

What I was trying to say--people other than True NY-ers and those who have met John Maxtone Graham might have an easier time following along if it's called the Hudson River. That is all.

........But think of poor old Victoria, somewhat outclassed in that company!

Matthew

Hardly old boy .... the 2 new Queens are just going to make tired old Lizzie look even more past her sell by date than ever ;)

Archived