Order of arrival of Queens in NYC on 13 Jan 2008

Runaway

QM2 berthing in her regular slot... Red Hook.

My feeling too ..... QE2 and QV in Manhatten ..... gives them time for a stately departure together. QM in Red Hook ... she sails later. And hope they can get all of us on board and stick to schedule. :rolleyes:

All Right, already, Angela. So I am not a Yankee and don't know the Hudson from the East River. But I do know that Cunard has told me or my TA on two different occasions within the past two weeks that the "QE2 will embark from Pier 12 in Brooklyn on January 13, 2008." I suppose that is Red Hook! You look it up, honey.

Actually, I'm not a yankee either. Born in Chattanooga Tennessee (East Brainard to be exact, which wasn't incorporated at the time- Glenview Drive, I think it is, second house in on the right, just off what is now the interestate)

But I don't believe the East Rive flows by that part of Brooklyn. It is called the Buttermilk Channel! The beginning of the channel is called Upper New York Bay!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Brooklyn,+NY&layer=&ie=UTF8&t=h&*****=0&z=15&ll=40.682526,-74.017897&spn=0.013506,0.039911&iwloc=addr

The original plan was to have two docks, but it did not prove practical. So only one of them will be docking in Brooklyn, unless they are planning on building a new dock or changing the shape of the one!

Karie,

who has cruised out of both Brooklyn and Manhattan on the QM2, and prefers Brooklyn. Clean, safe, airy, light, easy to navigate, plenty of porters, everyone is polite and proud to be working there. Everyone seems to have a smile on their face! Even the water is cleaner! And that breathtaking view of the Statue as you approach from land or sea. And you're still across from the tip of lower Manhattan! What's not to love!

The Potomac. (the South River)

Regards, Colin

The Delaware River, home of the SS United States, is also known the South River

QE2 docked in the Delaware, in Philadelphia, for three days in 1982, part of Philly's tricentennial celebrations.

No....there is only one berth in Brooklyn.

I found this--it's on Cunard's site--the How To Get To Brooklyn Terminal page.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=brooklyn,+new+york&ll=40.685389,-74.023218&spn=0.031039,0.077870&hl=en

Can you point out where the one berth is in Brooklyn? And what are all those other dock-like looking things in the picture? No good? You're saying this brand new Terminal has only one berth?

I reckon I'll have to bet on they split up, too. Bummer.

Quite frankly, my main concern is that QE2 docks at Manhattan.

I'd be pleased if QV docked with us - given that it is the end of the Tandem Crossing.

I would be really pleased if somehow all three docked at Manhattan.

And I'd be thrilled to bits if QE2 were in the centre!

Matthew

Hi All,

Just got off the QM2 this past Wedneday from Brooklyn after an interesting cruise onboard with the Carol Marlow, Cunard President as this was a Cunard President's Cruise.

My wife and I had the opportunity to talk to her extensive as well as the Commodore and the staff.

We also were priviledged to dine with her at her table in the Britannia Restaurant under that very special tapestry hanging.

Very Very much sounds like on leaving the harbor that day, the 13th, the order of ships going under the VZ Bridge will be QE2 on the Right (Staten Island Side), QM2 in the middle (makes sense due to her 12' height clearence of the bridge) and the Queen Victoria on the left closer to the shore. This was from 4 different sources.

Sounds like the Queen Victoria will be closest to the shore since she will be the newest being introduced to the Cunard Family-Fleet to have all to see.

Let's see if this information from high end sources come true. I know, I living right by the shore (1 block away) will be getting a birds eye view and will campout for this special event.

Hi All,

Just got off the QM2 this past Wedneday from Brooklyn after an interesting cruise onboard with the Carol Marlow, Cunard President as this was a Cunard President's Cruise.

My wife and I had the opportunity to talk to her extensive as well as the Commodore and the staff.

We also were priviledged to dine with her at her table in the Britannia Restaurant under that very special tapestry hanging.

Very Very much sounds like on leaving the harbor that day, the 13th, the order of ships going under the VZ Bridge will be QE2 on the Right (Staten Island Side), QM2 in the middle (makes sense due to her 12' height clearence of the bridge) and the Queen Victoria on the left closer to the shore. This was from 4 different sources.

Sounds like the Queen Victoria will be closest to the shore since she will be the newest being introduced to the Cunard Family-Fleet to have all to see.

Let's see if this information from high end sources come true. I know, I living right by the shore (1 block away) will be getting a birds eye view and will campout for this special event.

And where will they all be docking and what is the order of procession into the harbor?

Hi All,

But Ed, what about the arrival in the morning?! And who will be docked where? Desperate minds want to know.

PS: Have you considered a bungey jump off the Verrazano Bridge down to the ship of your choice?

Maybe it is because the river comes from the North?

True, NY-ers, well, those in Manhattan, do call it the North River ... which it isn't, a river that is, because it is a tidal estuary in Manhattan, deeper than the body of water it flows into.

In 20 years in the New York area (first Hoboken and the last 14 in Borrklyn) I have never heard anyone refer to it as the North River. The Hudson River flows between Hoboken, NJ and Manhattan.

In 20 years in the New York area (first Hoboken and the last 14 in Borrklyn) I have never heard anyone refer to it as the North River. The Hudson River flows between Hoboken, NJ and Manhattan.

Actually I think it starts a wee bit north of Hoboken about 200 miles further up north.

You'd have to do it as the ships were leaving or they'd just put you ashore as soon as you docked:(

:p Yes, I meant to say that direction. He'd also want to time it so as not to go down into the funnel. Still, he might get better Internet reception from there.

Hi All,

One other thing that was mentioned by Commodore Warner at the Cunard World Gold & Platinum Member gathering, he announced that Captain Christopher Rynd would be named the Master of the new Queen Victoria.

Songandance- To me, it still seems early to announced that since it is still quite abit of time away till the 13th of January. Also things may still be needed to be worked out with logistics. I would also think that MAYBE...Homeland Security would have something to say also about this. Just look how the Queen Mary 2 enters and leaves Brooklyn each time.

Police Launchers, US Coast Guard Gunships, 2-3 NYCPD Helicopters surrounds her each time entering and departuring the NY Harbor.

Just think this times 3x, besides it also being a Sunday, huge media coverage to name some of the items to account for.

WOULD YOU spell out everything too early no less at all?

Angela- I don't need to jump, we are looking forward to the March 24th sailing, so I am not in a rush just coming off her and need to build that anticipation for next year. I can wait!

One other thing that was mentioned by Commodore Warner at the Cunard World Gold & Platinum Member gathering, he announced that Captain Christopher Rynd would be named the Master of the new Queen Victoria.

That's strange because:

October 2006

Captain Paul Wright appointed first Master of Queen Victoria.

In 20 years in the New York area (first Hoboken and the last 14 in Borrklyn) I have never heard anyone refer to it as the North River.

From Wikipedia:

The Hudson was originally named the "North River" by the Dutch, because the river was the major route north. Radio communication among commercial shipping traffic to this day refer almost exclusively to the "North River". It was the English who originated the Hudson name, even though Hudson had found the river while exploring for the Dutch.

From Wikipedia:

The Hudson was originally named the "North River" by the Dutch, because the river was the major route north. Radio communication among commercial shipping traffic to this day refer almost exclusively to the "North River". It was the English who originated the Hudson name, even though Hudson had found the river while exploring for the Dutch.

And there we have it. Now, who wants to take a trip to where they laid the chain across the river? If you want to hike once we're there, you'll get the best view. ;)

Archived