Order of arrival of Queens in NYC on 13 Jan 2008

Runaway

I found this--it's on Cunard's site--the How To Get To Brooklyn Terminal page.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=brooklyn,+new+york&ll=40.685389,-74.023218&spn=0.031039,0.077870&hl=en

Can you point out where the one berth is in Brooklyn? And what are all those other dock-like looking things in the picture? No good? You're saying this brand new Terminal has only one berth?

I reckon I'll have to bet on they split up, too. Bummer.

This is the older industrial docks area of Brooklyn (On the waterfront) The basin is just that- a basin. She docks on the outside of it. Next to her is the Snapple plant. Across on Governor's island is, well, Governor's island. Above there is a reef. She cannot go over it.

So basically, look at Governor's Island. the "Y" shaped Dock is directly across the channel from where QM2 will dock. The Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, as I said, has a reef there. She cannot go north of there.

There are tons of docks. They are not the passenger terminals with customs, porters, immmigration, terminal service, her stores, etc.

They can't just pick any old dock!

Some docks are specifically for oil carriers, container ships or what have you!

Karie,

who LOVES the Brooklyn Passenger terminal! It is modern, clean, bright!

And KC- shame on you- Not being too selfish are you! I don't care if the others dock in hell as long as i get what *I* want! <G>

When I was on QE2 in September 2006, we were due to dock in Brooklyn. On the 2nd or 3rd day when I went to the port talk, they told us we would dock at Pier 90, so can't always trust what they tell you. :)

What are the odds for Bayonne? QM2 has been there before.

I would think the photo op would be in the evening, bring QE2 and QV down the Hudson and meet up with QM2 at the statue of Liberty. And there you have the front cover of the 2008 Cunard Brochure. :D

And KC- shame on you- Not being too selfish are you! I don't care if the others dock in hell as long as i get what *I* want! <G>

I've sold this trip to a friend on the basis that Manhattan is likely.

You want to explain to him if it is some god-forsaken place like Red Hook?

Matthew

Matthew

Matthew:

I am not worried a bit about the QE2 NY docking. Insofar as the QM2 is on her rt Caribbean sailings from Red Hook, I can't see sending the QM2 to an alternate pier just so the QE2 can berth in Brooklyn.

In looking at the Jan 08 sailing schedules from Manhattan, both the Noordam and NCL Gem will not be in Manhattan on Jan 13, thus freeing two piers for the QE2 and the QV

Matthew:

I am not worried a bit about the QE2 NY docking. Insofar as the QM2 is on her rt Caribbean sailings from Red Hook, I can't see sending the QM2 to an alternate pier just so the QE2 can berth in Brooklyn.

In looking at the Jan 08 sailing schedules from Manhattan, both the Noordam and NCL Gem will not be in Manhattan on Jan 13, thus freeing two piers for the QE2 and the QV

Not worried in the sense you are confident that it will be Manhattan?

Matthew

Matthew

All I can say is, If God has forsaken RedHook, then its his...or her- Nah- not her, a female God would never forsake Red Hook. She would have much better taste than to do that. anyway, then it's his loss.

mahnattan Pier- Dirty nasty cold, polluted, grungy, rusty, ill-mannered, poor service, very warehouse like- Not a grand entrance to a Grande Dame. Brooklyn- glassy and airy and artfully framed beautiful terminal like Red Hook has!

Hmm come to think of it, I guess maybe it is fitting that they sned the old gal to the washed up improp;erly maintained, shop-worn.... Nah, I won't go there!

Karie,

Payback's a ... Well, it just is.

Not worried in the sense you are confident that it will be Manhattan?

Matthew

QM2's winter Caribbeans are scheduled for Red Hook. There is only one pier.

It wouldn't make any sense to split the other two ladies between Manhattan and Bayonne. Too much $$$$ operating transfers, ground crews, etc.

I have to admit though, the view from Red Hook is stunning. And I love the terminal. But... since I'll be taking the train back home to Providence, it's much easier berthing in Manhattan.

From Wikipedia:

The Hudson was originally named the "North River" by the Dutch, because the river was the major route north.

I thought that in those days the Hudson was the "north" river because the Delaware was the "south" river. No matter, everyone knows that the Hudson ought to be called the Verrazano. It's the East River that is the tidal estuary.

Paul

QE2 will lead..... fitting IMHO.

QV will follow.....only fitting. (she needs to learn the ropes)

QM2 will bring up the rear....only fitting....the biggest and strongest at the rear line!

Great photo op for all 3, and all will be happy :)

I suspect QM2 will dock at Red Hook, QE2 and QV will dock in Manhatten....seems sensible!

Great to have your thoughtful posts. For what it’s worth my money is on ”Three Queens in Manhattan” with arrival in the order suggested by Percentages (QE2, QV, QM2) and, KC (Matthew), I’d also like to see QE2 in the middle berth as well.

Admittedly, I believe this to be wishful thinking and a tad optimistic on my part and, should it not happen, it would not be through lack of willing it so. I just want to see history written in the 21st century with these three Queens berthed side by side, not simply in NY, but in Manhattan and, to boot, preferably and selfishly with me onboard! I figure even if it rains on my parade (on QE2) on 13 Jan, it surely wouldn’t dare to on Cunard’s on this most auspicious of days in its history. There are, as noted in your threads, a multitude of hugely important aspects which deserve consideration these days when planning such an event. For my part, however, having just finished reading John Maxtone-Graham’s “The Only Way to Cross”, I’m drawn time and time again to the two photographs on page 360. The top photograph is that of Queen Elizabeth as she approaches New York having completed her secretive maiden voyage. I quote from the caption to the bottom photograph on that page: “Assembled in one harbor for the first and last time. The three prewar giants tied up in New York at the start of the war. From left to right: Normandie, Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth.” Wouldn’t it be something if in the future we could pick up a book and view a photograph of the three Queens tied up in Manhattan on this their first, perhaps only, meeting. Is it too much to dare hope for:confused:

Sunrise and sunset in NYC on 13 Jan this year were at 07:19 and 16:49 respectively. If I recall correctly our arrival and departure on the 2006 WC were in darkness or, at least, semi-darkness and not the type of light I would have thought best suited to good photography, though plenty good enough methinks for fireworks; shall we have some? Considering their scheduled arrival and departure times on the 13th, how will it be possible to snap all three ships together (in daylight) if they are not berthed in Manhattan, or, perhaps Bayonne? Is there the merest shred of evidence that Cunard are underplaying the significance of the event, or at least are doing so at this time? I recall Capt McNaught mentioned during QE2’s Southern Delights Nov-Dec 2006 that he had urged Cunard to arrange for the ship to dock at Manhattan in Jan 2007 as it was her 25th anniversary world cruise. Needless to say we know that didn’t come off. We were informed that our departure from NYC on 9 Jan 2006 on the WC was the last scheduled docking of QE2 in Manhattan and we also know that wasn’t so. So, if QE2 could return to Manhattan, why couldn’t QM2 too, just this once? Whose strings would Cunard have to pull to arrange this? Pray tell.

Ever hopeful, and looking forward to QE2’s 2008 SAPOO and that particular day in time (266 to go, according to Durangoscot’s countdown) when all will be revealed. On that note I must go and add myself to the 2008 WCC.

Cheers, Leone

PS What does <G> mean?

Thanks Peter.....:D too! I just didn't know one could simply place the cursor over the Smilies and be informed of its meaning. Should have just tried it. I used :confused: in my former thread because I thought it stood for a question mark. I'll get the hang of this yet.

Leone

Thanks, Karie! If only Cunard could have hacked into the map and put a little ship where it's supposed to be. :)

And Matthew, Karie's right about Manhattan. It's not very pretty down there. The Intrepid is even gone--it's in drydock somewhere in New Jersey.

I don't really care where we end up--it would be perfect if we all could be together. But if not, that's the way she floats.

mahnattan Pier- Dirty nasty cold, polluted, grungy, rusty, ill-mannered, poor service, very warehouse like- Not a grand entrance to a Grande Dame. Brooklyn- glassy and airy and artfully framed beautiful terminal like Red Hook has!

Karie,

That maybe what it is like for departing passengers - but for arriving passengers I saw little to commend Red Hook - you even got to drag your luggage as you queued for Fatherland Security - unlike Manhattan, where luggage collection is after passport control - notalota fun, if you are queing for nearly an hour.

Put down bags. Pick up bags. Shuffle forward a few feet.

And so on.......

Perhaps residents don't get this when they arrive at Red Hook - but visitors sure do - Welcome to America!

Peter

Karie,

That maybe what it is like for departing passengers - but for arriving passengers I saw little to commend Red Hook - you even got to drag your luggage as you queued for Fatherland Security - unlike Manhattan, where luggage collection is after passport control - notalota fun, if you are queing for nearly an hour. Perhaps residents don't get this when they arrive at Red Hook - but visitors sure do - Welcome to America!

Peter

Well, Peter, I can't say. We took our time getting off the ship. So when we got downstairs, it wasn't much of a wait. We gathered our luggage, got in the line, (not too long) and were seen and processed through quickly. Now I can't say if the experience is different for foreigners having to go through immigration. I thought they did immigration on the ship? In fact, I remember the nightmare on the ship when immigration was late setting up, people were queuing down by illuminations and it got to a point that little old ladies and men were htting each other with bags and canes. There wasn't much I could do- Marc took the stairs, I took the elevator as I could not possibly do the stairs at that point. People would not even let you through to find someone and we had to go in together. So I tucked myself back into a little nook,and tried to help the staff keep order. At one point, I went into (wait, was it illum or Royal Court- well, whatever) and asked them if they could send someone out to help the poor staff member (entertainment staff) holding down the fort in the corridor He was a slight young thing and where stairs converged on elevator lobbies converged on snaking queue, the throngs were inciting to riot! My feeling when you are in that situation is you just have to chill. It is excruciating for me to even stand for any length of time. My left leg is pins and needles within 5 minutes usually, and both Marc and I start feeling the pressure in our feet (Even orthotics don't help!) I tried my best to talk calmly to those upset, joke with them to releive the tension and divert attention away from the aggravation. (Heck, I even threatened to sing if they didn't behave!) When they would start screaming at someone coming down the stairs "cutting in line" I would remind them that the person had no way of knowing there was a line at the bottom of the zig-zagging stairwell, and that it was not intentional.

I could never understand people getting ugly in such a situation. What do they think it will get them? I can tell you. It will get them (and everyone else) more aggravated. Elderly people were actually SWINGING at each other! (and not in a good way!)

Anyway, Manhattan was pure hell getting off the ship. Brooklyn was a breeze and the folks I had to deal with were all smiling and pleasant. In Manhattan people were fighting over porters, stealing carts, and just generally being pains. Customs was long and slow. And Darkly lit - Damn. I hate laptops. I just hit the touchpad and lost a big bunch of typing! ARRGH! Anyway- it was dank and drab and dreary there. There was not much help and Marc and I basically had to stage our luggage to get out of there! Then I had to walk across a cold frigid blustery exposed second deck walkway (over uneven brick in places or something that wasn't even) to get the car which was frozen to the ground.

I felt more like I was being given my walking papers from the state pentitentiary! It was very depressing!

In Brooklyn, despite arriving in the middle of a Nor-easter, with plenty of puddles and rain, parking was easy, Since it was ground level, and in a more protected area, it was much easier to navigate and not a wind tunnel. There were overhangs by the drop off area and more porters than you could count. It was a breeze getting in and out!

But then too, I am sure that one cruise or another, there are individual differences. Witness the problem in Ft Lauderdale before the world. Other times I have breezed in and out of Ft Laud.

Karie.

who would like to find out again soon!

Hello. I've been told that so far the plan is that the 3 ships will be moving around NYC in the dark. So best bet for a good picture is in FT. Lauderdale. I had been hoping for day time for one of the sailing times so I could be on a boat to see it.

I will be on QE2 next FRI for lunch and if you give me a list of questions I will see what I can come up with.

Originally Posted by ESLO viewpost.gif

One other thing that was mentioned by Commodore Warner at the Cunard World Gold & Platinum Member gathering, he announced that Captain Christopher Rynd would be named the Master of the new Queen Victoria.

That's strange because:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cunard

October 2006

Captain Paul Wright appointed first Master of Queen Victoria.

No need to worry! Of course Captain Wright is going to be the first captain on the QV... but, you know, they do like to get off sometimes (if only to escape the passengers!), and Captain Rynd is going to be the second captain on both the QV and the QM2 (just a bit more Princessification for you, three captains on two ships). Last I heard, Rynd was scheduled to join the QV in either Sydney or Hong Kong.

And Matthew, Karie's right about Manhattan. It's not very pretty down there. The Intrepid is even gone--it's in drydock somewhere in New Jersey.

I've been to both. And, for what it is worth, I agree with Peter in relation to Brooklyn. Easier to get a cab though.

However the terminal is NOT the reason to go to Manhattan. Purely as a terminal, Brooklyn would be okay if immigration were sorted out before luggage reclaim.

The reason I want to be at Manhattan is the trip TO the terminal. Not the terminal itself.

Matthew

The reason I want to be at Manhattan is the trip TO the terminal. Not the terminal itself.

Matthew

I totally agree on this point. Plus there is a certain extra cache arriving and leaving from Manhattan rather than the lesser boros or even New Jersey. If one looks at the history of transatlantic sailing I believe, but could be incorrect, that the larger more luxurious liners sailed out of Manhattan and the lesser vessels sailed from Hoboken, Bayonne and the such.

Having grown up in New Jersey, sailing out of bayonne really does not conjure up much in the way of romantic voyages unless of course you love tramp steamers.

That should send the buffs racing to their books.

I totally agree on this point. Plus there is a certain extra cache arriving and leaving from Manhattan rather than the lesser boros or even New Jersey. If one looks at the history of transatlantic sailing I believe, but could be incorrect, that the larger more luxurious liners sailed out of Manhattan and the lesser vessels sailed from Hoboken, Bayonne and the such.

Having grown up in New Jersey, sailing out of bayonne really does not conjure up much in the way of romantic voyages unless of course you love tramp steamers.

That should send the buffs racing to their books.

The Manhattan Piers have always been dirty, ugly, overcrowded and smelly.

As child they terrified me. I don't much care for them now as an adult either.

I have boxes of pictures as early as 1906 of the Manhattan piers.. and there is nothing postive in the pictures, save for the ships (and my relatives).

The Manhattan Piers have always been dirty, ugly, overcrowded and smelly.

This misses the point - they are in Manhattan. Cunard markets itself on its heritage - which it cheerfully tosses aside when inconvenient. And I repeat, as an arriving guest the Brooklyn terminus is worse than Manhattan, except possibly for (more expensive) Taxis.

Last January, departing on QE2 from Brooklyn was a non-event.

Most passengers opted to stay below decks rather than on deck for departure. I was one of a handful on deck, as you can see in my photos of "QE2 in Brooklyn"

From Manhattan, even in the biting cold wind, the decks would be crowded with passengers for departure.

Granted, departure was late, but isn't it always?

There wasn't even a blast from the whistle, as shoreside was totally deserted, not an interested sole in sight.

As for the historic aspects of NYC liner berths, the German liners of Nordeutscher Lloyd and Hamburg America used Hoboken.

The German liners were often at the top of the list for size, speed, and luxury, fitting rivals for any White Star, Cunard, or CGT liner.

the larger more luxurious liners sailed out of Manhattan and the lesser vessels sailed from Hoboken, Bayonne and the such.

Many fine ships and great lines sailed from other parts of New York, but there was only one 'Luxury Liner row' - where the West Side Piers are now - formerly home to Queen Mary, Normandie, Queen Elizabeth, United States and now home to Carnival, HAL, NCL......obviously poorly run lines for using such dreadful facilities.....

This misses the point - they are in Manhattan.

True!

Anywhere in Midtown Manhattan is an easy stroll from the ship when docked in Manhattan.

A couple times I've walked with my luggage from the ship to my hotel.

When in-transit, the ship would be an easy stroll from Grand Central or Times Square.

oh well...Heritage is for the brochures...

Archived