Just switched from RCI Liberty to Carnival Valor..saved 500pp

vegkidds

we originally booked the liberty of the seas for 8ppl on an eastern caribbean cruise on dec 23 for an average of 1575pp. we were really excited about the rock climbing, surf rider and huge promenade, but the price tag was a little much, after a lot of debate we have switched to carnival valor for about 1075pp, which saves us about $4000 total. Is royal caribbean and their freedom class ships that much better or should we be very happy about our savings and not worry about it?

I say be happy about your savings. We love Carnival, and after sailing with friends that are loyal to RCC, Jewel of the Sea in October 05, we won't sail them again. Not because it was bad, we had a good time, but it was the most we've ever spent on a cruise, and you can get just as much, if not more for your money on a Carnival Cruise.

we originally booked the liberty of the seas for 8ppl on an eastern caribbean cruise on dec 23 for an average of 1575pp. we were really excited about the rock climbing, surf rider and huge promenade, but the price tag was a little much, after a lot of debate we have switched to carnival valor for about 1075pp, which saves us about $4000 total. Is royal caribbean and their freedom class ships that much better or should we be very happy about our savings and not worry about it?

as long as having the above stuff isn't why you wanted to cruise then you'll be fine. You'll have a great time, especially that you saved a lot of money :) But you cannot compare the two ships at all.

Our next family cruise is on the liberty of the seas, we all decided we'd like a ship with more activities for our older kids (adult kids not little kids)

We like carnival, but rccl does have an edge :)

While Liberty of the Seas is a brand new ship, I don't think that a new ship is worth a $500/pp price premium. That's a lot of $$$. Saving 33% on your cruise should help pay for a lot of the extras: airfare, tips, excursions, etc.

You did what?????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

LOL I am just joking. Honestly I don't mind paying the premium cause they are new ships and the biggest and most innovative on the seas. So I want to do them just so I can have the experience.

So for me, the premium IS worth it. And to the person who said welcome to a bigger room...I don't think so...I got a suite baby and it is HUGE. :p :D

we have never cruised so we wont know what we are missing anyway:) . i would love to sail on the liberty, but the cost savings and the great itinerary of grand cayman, belize, honduras and costa maya will make up for it.

:D We were booked on Liberty of the Seas for the 6 October sailing (balcony room at $988 per person). We thought we were going to have to change our plans and go another week on a different sailing, so I called both Carnival and RCI to get pricing for their respective ships. When I called Carnival, they were very happy to offer me the military discount immediately (and it's a GREAT bargain). When I called RCI, they told me that IF they offered a military discount, it wouldn't be until 3 or 4 months out and then would depend on how well the sailing was selling (make that read if its selling well, we won't be offering any discount). Well, long story short......turns out that we didn't need to change our dates. HOWEVER, I got to checking what Carnival was offering the same week. With the military discount, I got a suite on the Glory for LESS than what I was paying for a balcony on LOS. To me it was a no brainer. We were primarily going on LOS because it was a new ship and we had seen Samantha Brown on Travel Channel on FOS for the same itinerary. Rock walls and Flowrider are something I can't participate in (major back surgery last year). I am thrilled with our new plans. And if I'm happy, the DH is happy too.:D

I think you did a good thing.. Personally I would have done the same thing.. but thats just me.. We have cruised both RCCL and Carnival and I prefer Carnival.. mainly because of the atmosphere.. Those extras that RCCL has though is a nice extra.. but to me not worth the extra $$

We would love to sail Liberty of the Seas, but their pricing for a balcony is waay over the top. I know it is a new ship, but we will probably wait awhile to sail that ship. We were on Voyager and Explorer and loved them, but rccl offers no incentives for seniors, military rates, c&a members or anyone else for that matter. As long as people book, they will continue to do this.

Archived