Celebrity or Royal Caribbean?

Hi...We're trying to decide on which cruiseline to book a Mediterranean cruise for Oct. 2005. The choices are Royal Caribbean(Brilliance)-- Barcelona roundtrip-- or Celebrity (Millenium)--Barcelona to Venice. Does anyone have any advice? I've been lurking for quite some time and have learned so much from everyone. Thanks!!

I'm in the exact same boat. Which Brilliance are you looking at, the one that includes Venice or the Greek Islands?

Couple of things are pushing us to RCI...

One is the Barcelona round trip airfare is about $500 cdn per person cheaper than landing in Barcelona and leaving from Venice. If I can get two free tickets due to airmiles, that's not an issue.

Two..getting around Venice with luggage is expensive...but in the scheme of things, does a couple of hundred dollars really matter.

Three..and probably the most compelling... we love the fact that the last four days of the Brilliance Greek Island cruise have the potential to be extremely relaxing... two days at sea, Naples, which we only want to have a leisurely day on Capri and then Santorini...it doesn't get much more relaxed than that.

So for us, it means giving up Venice for Santorini and Mykonos, but I look at that as just an excuse to go back icon_wink.gif

Some Ship, Some Itinerary, Somewhere in the Med.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2006;5;12;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas

11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas

Alaska - Dawn Princess

Coastal - Island Princess

We were in the same situation but ended up choosing Princess - Venice to Rome via the Greek Islands. The airfare prices are not significantly different then a RT out of either city. The itineary has a great mix of touring and relaxation - we tour then we beach, we tour and then we beach. Can't wait!

The draback is that we miss out on Barcelona and Monaco but the upside is that we can take some extra days in Venice and Rome instead of doing the 8 hour tour.

Is that the one on the Grand? if so, it misses Florence which isn't an option for me.

As for the airfare..both ships want around $1,450 US per person for air. I can book directly with the exact flights I want for $1,200 Cdn. for Brilliance and about $1,700 Cdn. for Millenium so I would never consider going through the cruise line.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2006;5;12;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Alaska - Dawn Princess

[This message was edited by Cruise Junky on 06-19-04 at 06:24 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cruise Junky:

Is that the one on the Grand? if so, it misses Florence which isn't an option for me.

As for the airfare..both ships want around $1,450 US per person for air. I can book directly with the exact flights I want for $1,200 Cdn. for Brilliance and about $1,700 Cdn. for Millenium so I would never consider going through the cruise line.

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2006;5;12;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Alaska - Dawn Princess

[This message was edited by Cruise Junky on 06-19-04 at 06:24 PM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Continue to check both. Sometimes the cruise line does have a better flight deal. Most of the time not, but it depends. On a transatlantic crossing buying airfair can be more expensive than the cruise lines, because you are flying back from different ports.

I did do better to S.A flying to Santiago and then back from B.A, but I had to fly back to Santiago. That fare was cheaper than the cruise line.

Joe Reynolds

We are sailing on the Brilliance. I picked Royal Caribbean because we are traveling with a family and I am hoping that there will be other families on board. I think, from what I have read, that Celebrity is a bit more upscale. I am sure that both the Brilliance and the Millenium offer a wonderful experience.

We are booked on Millies for this year. Our choices also were between the Brilliance and Millie. Check the dates you wish to cruise, I know the Millie which is starting Aug 13th this year was a 14 day cruise vs Aug 18 on Brilliance was only a 12 day, and next year some of the same things are happening depending, again what week you cruise. Also, even if it is expensive for the luggage-Venice is the one city that can not be missed. We have been there before,and can not wait to go again, it is one of most unique cities. Another advantage is that you start or end your cruise in that wonderful, so that you can spend some extra time there. As for airfare- the difference was only about 100-150 more dollars american. Do not look at the rates that are showing now, the flights are all booked for the season so all rates shown are very high. We booked late and we wound up paying 853 for JFK to Paris/ Paris to Barcelona and return of Venice/Paris Paris/JFK. Roundtrip Barcelona was around 750 and you still had to make a connection from either Madrid, Paris, London, or one of the other large capital cities. Only airline that flies direction from NY is Delta and that flight is always very costly. Also, on the Europe cruises(we were on the Grand 4 yrs ago, there were very few children on board, the price and the type of cruise does not lend itself to a typical "family" cruise, ala the caribbean)

norm

After all my research, my darling hubby announced this afternoon he really doesn't want to go!! I may ask my sister in law if she would like to go with me. Do you see women traveling together on cruises?

Anne

Yes, on our cruise in Europe a couple of years ago, there were mothers and there grown daughters and other woman traveling together. But tell you dh this is a trip not to be missed; not only are we going this year to the med, but we are doing the Baltics next year--my dh is reluctant to do Europe also, just told him he had not choice LOL

We faced this same question while planning our cruise for this past August...

We're Platinum C&A members and almost booked the Brilliance while onboard the Grandeur the summer before...

But we held back...and really thought about it...

After a while, it all became very clear to us...and we booked the Millennium...And we are very glad that we did...it was an absolutely marvelous cruise...

Here's the itinerary breakdown:

The Brilliance Itineraries, in going Round trip Barcelona to Barcelona, have to make up the time somehow...what they do is to make you choose one of alternate sailings that either visitVenice and the Adriatic OR Athens and the Aegean--but NOT both...

The Millennium, meanwhile, in going one-way, gets you to BOTH the Adriatic AND the Aegean...

The second MAJOR factor for us was the two different embarkation and debarkation ports...This allowed us to spend an extra couple of days in BOTH of these great cities...very easy to do by tacking on a couple of hotel nights in each...and both cities were among the highlights of our vacation...

A few notes:

Schlepping luggage in Venice IS a hassle and expense...but we did our pre-cruise through Celebrity and they handled all of those logistics for us...sure you pay a little for that pre-cruise hotel package but it was well worth it...For those not doing that, I still wouldn't let the cost and trouble scare you away...it can still be done--get a hotel near the Piazza Roma and a bus or taxi can get you very near the hotel...or find a hotel with a pier accessable to water taxis...The ability to spens a few days in Venice and relax and enjoy this city pre-cruise is worth any added expense...

We actually had a wide variety of ages on the Millie with us...and there were a sizable number of families with kids as well...

We bought our air through Celebrity as well...they ran a deal which we could not surpass on our own...We actually had enough miles on AA to do it that way and it still wasn't worth using the air miles...My usual advice is to book the air with the line then watch the prices--of both airfares and of deals the line offers...as long as you fix everything prior to the final payment date, you can grab a new deal or drop the air and book your own or do whatever...

There are also other ways to deal with the airfare...AA with frequent flyer deals, will book an "open jaw" ticket--which is what you are looking for, not two one-ways...another shot is to book a round trip in and out of Barcelona and then find one-way alternate transportation to get from Barcelona to Venice...

But, overall, I would not let the small airfare differential pick the cruise for you...

And the other thing we learned is that Celebrity just does a superior job--across the board...

Remember--I told you we are Platinum RCCL cruisers...but, after doing this route on Millennium, we immediately booked the Summit for Alaska next week...and we have now booked the Celebrity Constellation for NEXT summer already...I'm hooked...and that Millennium cruise was what hooked me...

We just returned from the Millie a couple of weeks ago. We loved it. There were many families with children ranging from 1 1/2 years to teenagers. My DDs are 16 and loved the trip. We had only 2 sea days and did not worry about the onboard extras that RCCL may have for children. BTW, this was our 3rd cruise with Celebrity and my DD never seemed to lack of things to do on board.

Happy Sailing!

It's a tough decision for us to make. It's for my birthday so I know hubby will do whichever I chose...but....URGHHH...there's so many factors. We just came off our vacation this year and while we had fun, it wasn't relaxing and we both said never again...so the extra sea day and two sea days placed near the end on Brilliance made his mind up right away. His vacation schedule is tight so an extra couple of days in each port isn't an option for him. Plus it's our 10 year Wed. Ann. the year after and he would love to do the Panama Canal so not spending the extra $1,000 on Venice would be a big help.

The quest for a decision continues....:)

There are many factors at play here.

1- Celebrity tends to be much more upscale then Royal Caribbean -- with better food and service. But that does not always hold true.

2- Celebrity has a reputation for having an older crowd. Again, that depends on when you go. But October will definitely be an older crowd.

3- What's more important -- the ship or the ports. Both ships are excellent but I would opt for the Greek ports (Mykonos and Santorini) over Venice anytime. BUT, you have to see Venice too! So you have a hard choice.

You don't have to rush your decision because you are looking at October of next year. But you could deposit on a cabin and include the air and if you see the cruise cheaper, just get your travel agent to meet the price. You could keep trying to get your own air for cheaper anyway. I would definitely not pay for the air upfront unless you got a great deal.

Steve

This year on Milleniumm we are getting the best of both world we get the Greek Islands and Venice, but if I had to choose, I would not miss Venice. Also, the cruise is a different kind of cruise than that of the Caribbean, and I find the number of sea days is not as important as the cities you will be able to visit. It is funny the thing that turned us off to the Brillance was that it was a round-trip. Our only regret, is that Constellation next year is only dong round-trips from Dover, vs some of the iterienaries she is doing this summer. Whatever you might want, I would leave a deposit down on, just make sure the TA you are using does not have a cancellation charge, I know the cruiseline does not until 70 days out, as the prices (at least on the Baltic route on Connie) has gone up 100pp since we booked 3 weeks ago.

we decided on RCCL on the Brilliance for three reasons:

1. We have been on Royal Caribbean before and know their quality

2. We are younger (mid twenties and early thirties) and wanted a mix of younger crowd and not too uptight

3. I love the fact that the Brilliance of the Seas stops in Venice for almost two days. Venice was high on my list of ports to see.

We can always go on another trip especifically dedicated to the Greek Isles.

Couple of things are pushing us to RCI...

One is the Barcelona round trip airfare is about $500 cdn per person cheaper than landing in Barcelona and leaving from Venice. If I can get two free tickets due to airmiles, that's not an issue.

Two..getting around Venice with luggage is expensive...but in the scheme of things, does a couple of hundred dollars really matter.

Yes, I'm fickle...now I'm leaning towards Millenium. Dad just coughed up 60,000 points for one of our air tickets, and I've got enough for another. So the $1,800 Cdn. doesn't apply to our air tickets anymore. And all this luggage issue....nobody said Celebrity has a Padua tour and Airport Transfer for $57.

And..... it would be nice to have those extra evening hours in Mykonos and Santorini to enjoy a lovely dinner while watching the sun go down.

So yes, I fully admit to being fickle...but then then I am female ;)

We're booked on the Millenium Oct. 13th---Barcelona to Venice. After reading everything I could from all the posts, I decided it was much easier to disembark from Venice. If we would spend a few days in Venice before the cruise, there is a lot of hassle and expense getting to the ship on water taxis. I also liked the Greek islands being included. The airfare is a little more than flying roundtrip from Barcelona, but I'm using miles, so it didn't matter. It spites me that I have to use 60,000 miles. If we would have left Oct. 15th, it would only be 40,000 miles. Oh well. I'm so excited about going. I hope I can find other people to share private tours. Anyone know how hard it is to do that?

Anne

That is the one thing that is strange, getting people together for private excursions. Did find one other couple on our cruise and hopefully getting together for several of the stops. Will post review when we return from our cruise in September. So many things to still do before we leave and it seems the time is rushing by, we leave on the 10th of August for Barcelona, board the cruise on the 13(hopefully, this friday the 13th is lucky) and depart the ship in Venice the 27th, leaving Venice the 29th and home. We were lucky, this winter AA had a special fly twice from NYC to florida(Miami, FLL or Orlando), fly free anywhere American flies. We had already booked our Feb flight with them for our Mariner cruise, so we used them also for our Easter cruise. Only hitch, is that the flights must be on American Airlines planes, can not use code share..........so we fly to Paris and pick-up Air France to Barcelona and in Venice to Paris the same airlines, but had to pay for those flights (price was not bad around 250 each.) Could have used miles, but these tickets expire April, 15th 2005 and only booked for a cruise out of Florida, where I purchased tickets fairly cheaply for Feb 2005

Archived