Table Size Help Please!!

bozza

We are going on our first cruise in November and have requested a table for 2.

However, on reading various threads most people recommend a larger table.

We are in our late 50's/early 60's (although young at heart!) and do enjoy meeting new people, so what do you think?

Romantic table for 2 or large table 8/10/12?

Also would RCCI sit us with people of roughly our age group?

The table mix does not seem to be assigned based on age. Sometimes you really luck out and click with your table mates and sometimes you don't. No matter what, you will usually have a great time meeting and talking with your table mates. If they are really bad you can request a change. Meeting people is an important part of the whole cruise thing for us and we recommend giving it a try unless you just don't want to talk to others during your meal.

I always request a medium sized table. My voice is quiet and doesnt carry well and anything larger than 6 or 8 I cant be heard clear across the table and its hard to talk to everyone at a very large table of 10 for instance.

I like having the same table mates and discussing our days and what we bought in ports or excursions. By the end of the cruise your table mates will feel like extended family.

Unless you rarely see each other and work opposite schedules or its a special event you dont want to be around others for, I cant see why a married couple who has been married a while wouldnt want to share a table.

Everyone is different. We prefer to share with others though at a medium sized table.

I'd switch to a larger table - as a previous poster said, daily sharing with others is one of the highlights of the cruise experience. It has been our experience that they DO try to group you with others with the same demographics as you whenever possible. On AOS, the maitre-d made our table arrangements right in front us us, purposefully selecting another family of 4 with children around the same age as ours, who spoke English, etc. Same on EOS. However on Mariner, we were seated with a retired couple and a young honeymooning couple, and our family - yet, we all got along very well and had a lot of fun together.

I will join the majority so far in recommending a larger table. In my opinion 8 to 10 is probably ideal. Meeting new people is one of the highlights of any cruise, and sharing adventures with your tablemates is great fun. You can also dine one or two evenings in a specialty restaurant where you will have a table for two. If you make your reservation on the afternoon of boarding, you will pretty much have your choice of times and table locations. At the specialty restaurants, you can enjoy a romantic table for two if you sit near the windows to watch the sun set on the sea. The maitre d' in the specialty restaurant can tell you what is on the menu in the main diningroom each night which may help you select when you would like to opt for a special night out.

Another thing you might consider is on sea days eating in the diningroom for breakfast and/or lunch. They have open seating so you will be placed at a table with others as they come into the diningroom. This is also a good way to meet new people if you introduce yourself when everyone is seated.

I have noticed that people in the Windjammer seem to be reluctant to join a partially full table, so you will often see a couple seated alone at a table for four while someone searches for an empty spot. This is also a place where you can invite someone to join you.

some tables are round and some are rectangular

We prefer to be at a table with other people. It is fun to share stories about your day, and get to know some new people. On our recent AOS cruise, the tablemates my husband and I had the first night were OK, but were all from the same family. They switched from early to late seating, and we were left at the table alone, so we were reassigned to a new table. Our new tablemates were fabulous!!! We had a young couple and 2 female friends who travel together a lot. We looked forward to dinner every night so we could talk to these 4 wonderful people!!

When we were booking the cruise, my husband asked me to be sure we got a table for at least 6 so we could meet some new people.....he said "I love you, but we eat dinner alone every night, and we'll be together all day long!" How right he was!!

You said you liked meeting new people--request a larger table! You will have PLENTY of time to be "romantic" with your significant other on the cruise! Dinner is our favorite part of the day--talking to our new friends about what they did that day, what everyone's plans are, did you enjoy the show?...etc... I would absolutely HATE a table for two--and when you see how much fun everyone has at dinner, you will wish you were a part of it! Dinner is NOT just for eating! It's a huge social occassion! Enjoy it!

We are in our late 50's/early 60's (although young at heart!) and do enjoy meeting new people, so what do you think?

Both my parents on their Disney cruise some time ago and I on my Enchantment of the Seas cruise last year had the same experience. We were seated at a large table with one large group. This is better than being at a large table with seperate couples, none of whom know each other. If you're seated with one group of 6, you'll have lots of talking and laughter and you'll be brought into it. Dining was something I really looked forward to last year on Enchantment, as opposed to my first cruise on Adventure, where we were seated with two seperate couples and the conversation was subdued. I plan on booking my next cruise through RCCL and asking their agent to seat my lady and I with a large group, if they can. Have a lot of fun on your cruise.

would go with a larger table.we had a table for six on our last cruise and i think this was an ideal size.the two other couples on our table were great was good to meet others from different countries we are british there was a canadian couple and a couple from switzerland(one of whom was actually italian).when we booked last time we could choose size of table on rccl website aswell as age group on resrvations page although this option seems to have dissapeared.i think this worked well as all the pople on our table were of the same age group.

i go with the majority here--go for a larger table. We have never had a table with others... (hey not the others as in LOST fans...lol). We are a family of 4, 2 of them kids. We like late seating so I do a table for the 4 of us since I feel others should not have to eat with our kids, ages 10 and 12 now. I do not want to take anything away from their experience. Now that that is said, I look forward to lunch and usually try to go into the dining room to eat so I am with other adults. The kids at that time are off on their own or with friends in windjammer. This is not the same as being with nice couples night after night. So switch and enjoy. You can always go to chops or portafino and sit alone one night.

Interesting enough, we have been extremely lucky on all 5 cruises with our table mates at dinner...when only DH and myself we were seated with other couples of similar age and when DD came, table mates had children (or young adult) appx. in age to her...So we highly recommend sitting with others and enjoy your extended family on-board.

We have always requested, and been seated at a table for either 8 or 10. For the most part, we have been more than happy with out tablemates. It is nice to meet other people, and discuss the events of the day, and what we, and they, are planning for the days ahead.

I'd go with a larger table as you will meet several couples. If you want an evening alone, the romantic place is Chops or Portofino where you can have a private table for two. When we have been without kids we've been seated with other couples and when we are on holiday with the kids, we have had another family seated with us. Perhaps we have been fortunate but it has worked out nicely for us and we had a very enjoyable time meeting new table mates. No matter what you decide to do, you will have a great time on your cruise. Cheers. :)

If you have a roll call for you cruise, check with the folks you are talking to and make your own table:p ...You will need the booking numbers of the people and then call your TA or Royal Caribbean and ask that they be hooked to your booking...We have decided that this is the only way to have tablemates that you will gel with since you have been talking to them on CC;) ! Later, Jill:cool:

image.php?u=25407&type=sigpic&dateline=1176215136

I have to agree with the majority.

We have really been lucky when it comes to table mates. We could not have asked for more perfect matches on each cruise we have been on. We look forward to talking about the day, about home towns, and about the next days plans. On a few trips, we have had tablemates join us on the day trips and they loved it. There is a lot of time to enjoy with your spouse or SO, and its nice to meet some others on the ship.

A large table gets my vote.

I will be 60 this year. My first cruise was in 1981. One of the best parts of cruising is the different people you meet on board. Large tables at dinner are great - with 8 to 10 people its great. Old young retired working first time 30th time so interesting.

My best memories are of the different people from all over the country - having a good time. And you get to hear and see different perspectives on the same ports you have just left.

True, some people recommend asking for a large table. Some of them are also pretty vocal in their expressions of disbelief that some of us enjoy sitting with just our spouse/companion or family. Those will usually start out something like, "I can't imagine why anyone would want a table for two" or "You really should ask for a large table because we prefer them." That drives me nuts because they are basically saying that anyone who doesn't agree with them about table size is wrong, and they are completely ignoring the fact that different people have different preferences. Of course, my internal response is "and I can't imagine why anyone would want to have dinner with a bunch of strangers?" I don't usually say that though because I respect their personal choices.

We would keep the request for a table for two. Do not be swayed by anyone who tells you what you "should" want or prefer. If you decide that you would prefer a larger table and will take your chances on having enjoyable table mates, then you should ask to change your request. If, like us, you enjoy meeting new people, but don't care to do so in an enforced environment over what is often a 2 hour meal (and with no input as to whom you will be seated with), then don't feel obligated to ask for a change. What others prefer or think is "right" doesn't need to affect what you prefer for yourselves.

And do remember that a request for a table size (for two or otherwise) is treated as just that: a request. RCI will not guarantee a specific table size or location. When you board the ship, you may want to go to the dining room to check your table assignment (the table number will be on your Sea Pass). If you are not happy with your assignment, you can request (again, it's a request) a change. There are hours posted when the Matre' D will be available to see about changes.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure it is what you want, not what others have told you that you should want.

beachchick

For dinner go for a larger table if you can get it. Its great finding out what you all did during the day and how people enjoyed themselves. Its also a good place to pick up tips from excursions that people might have done off the beaten track.

Unless the ship is at full capicity with all the cabins fully occupied you will be able to change tables if you don't like your tablemates.

But in the end it is your choice as beachchick has just pointed out.

I agree. Linking your dinner reservation with fellow CCers takes a bit of the gamble out of the whole dining thing. At least you will be somewhat familiar with the people sitting with you, and you know you'll be able to share you interest in cruising and CC with them.

If you have a roll call for you cruise, check with the folks you are talking to and make your own table:p ...You will need the booking numbers of the people and then call your TA or Royal Caribbean and ask that they be hooked to your booking...We have decided that this is the only way to have tablemates that you will gel with since you have been talking to them on CC;) ! Later, Jill:cool:

image.php?u=25407&type=sigpic&dateline=1176215136

• 4 weeks later...

Archived