Oosterdam Dry Dock?

lucchese1

We are on the Big O the week after its dry dock is complete with a group of 50 and I was wondering what accualy happens in dry dock besides the Azipod repair that brought it there.

-Do the crew get a week off

-Any change off crew

-Is the ship cleaned and sanitized from top to bottom

-Any updates that take place that can not be done in a normal sail week

-Any left over signature of exc. to be completed

-Any external maintinence, Barnical removal, painting, etc.

-Do they throw a party for the crew with the food that canot be frozen:eek:

Just an annious and curious, future Big O cruizer:D !

We are on the Big O the week after its dry dock is complete with a group of 50 and I was wondering what accualy happens in dry dock besides the Azipod repair that brought it there.

-Do the crew get a week off

-Any change off crew

-Is the ship cleaned and sanitized from top to bottom

-Any updates that take place that can not be done in a normal sail week

-Any left over signature of exc. to be completed

-Any external maintinence, Barnical removal, painting, etc.

-Do they throw a party for the crew with the food that canot be frozen:eek:

Just an annious and curious, future Big O cruizer:D !

I was on the second cruise after last years drydock... the one where the pod failed :o at that time they were still carrying out SOE upgrades. Most major things like carpeting had been done, but minor things like swapping out televisions and such that could be done on a per room basis were still ongoing. The last major SOE changes will be done during the major drydock in 2009 where they add the additional staterooms to the stern and configure her more like Noordam, as is being done to Westerdam today. more likely they will take this time to do a full thorough cleaning of the ship. Thats what they did last time. There are just some things that they cannot do, or clean while there are passengers aboard, so they will probably be busy doing that while azipod unit is replaced. I cannot imagine that she needs much hull maintenance if any after only about 6 months in service. However if there isnt a full weeks work I am sure the crew may get some time for R&R, but I doubt it will be a full week.

Dont worry you're in for a great time Oosterdam is a beautiful ship, that has an excellent crew, I am sure they will be better than ever after this drydock.... we liked her so much we're going to Alaska on her in September :)

-Any change off crew

I've always assumed that some crew change takes place every time a ship is in it's home port between cruises (about 40 were getting on the Veendam as we were leaving her in Dec) and that more wholesale (but not total) changes took place at the end of each "season". Can anyone tell me if this is right or wrong?

The crew have to help where ever they can - they will not get a full week off. There is always cleaning going on while a ship is in dry dock. The crew don;t get a party for the frozen food - no chance of it defrosting as they don;t turn off all the electrical power while the work is going on.

There are a great many things the crew does just before and during a dry dock. These are the things they cannot do in normal operation without disturbing the passengers:

1. Clean and renovate all the sun loungers.

2. Deep-clean cabins and public areas.

3. Empty, clean, and re-stock all the minibars.

4. Shampoo all the carpets.

5. Replace worn carpets.

6. Touch up interior paint.

7. Re-paint exterior.

8. Repair the thousands of little things broken in normal operation.

9. Repaint / re-tile Galley floors.

10. Renovate / replace Galley equipment.

11. Install new cables and pipes for new equipment.

12. Clean up all the mess made by the contractors onboard.

13. Feed and care for the 100s or 1000s of contractors living onboard during the dry dock.

14. Wrap every interior area in plastic to avoid damage from contractors.

15. Repair, clean, upgrade crew areas.

16. Stand fire watch.

17. Carry garbage and debris off the ship every hour.

18. Clean and inventory all items in hundreds of storage lockers.

19. Clean, repaint, and repair swimming pools and jacuzzis.

20. Renovate teak decks.

There are a great many things the crew does just before and during a dry dock. These are the things they cannot do in normal operation without disturbing the passengers:

1. Clean and renovate all the sun loungers.

2. Deep-clean cabins and public areas.

3. Empty, clean, and re-stock all the minibars.

4. Shampoo all the carpets.

5. Replace worn carpets.

6. Touch up interior paint.

7. Re-paint exterior.

8. Repair the thousands of little things broken in normal operation.

9. Repaint / re-tile Galley floors.

10. Renovate / replace Galley equipment.

11. Install new cables and pipes for new equipment.

12. Clean up all the mess made by the contractors onboard.

13. Feed and care for the 100s or 1000s of contractors living onboard during the dry dock.

14. Wrap every interior area in plastic to avoid damage from contractors.

15. Repair, clean, upgrade crew areas.

16. Stand fire watch.

17. Carry garbage and debris off the ship every hour.

18. Clean and inventory all items in hundreds of storage lockers.

19. Clean, repaint, and repair swimming pools and jacuzzis.

20. Renovate teak decks.

Sure doesn't sound like a holiday for the crew.:rolleyes:

(I have visions of one very large extension cord!;) )

The crew have to help where ever they can - they will not get a full week off. There is always cleaning going on while a ship is in dry dock. The crew don;t get a party for the frozen food - no chance of it defrosting as they don;t turn off all the electrical power while the work is going on.

I was just joking about the crew party, I'm in the food business and know that A lot of items just have to be used or adios:( !

Thank you for all the replys, man that was quite a list of things to be done( 7 day cruiseship makeover-maybe a new TV show:eek: ), but I'm sure it will all get done. I am happiest about the sanitizing of the ship because any of us can enjoy a cruise with worn carpet but not sick in bed 1/2 the cruise!

Thanks Again!!

luchesse 1,

Sanitizing the ship is always good, but that rarely prevents what you are most afraid of.

It doesn't matter how clean the ship might be on embarkation day. It takes only one sick passenger (out of 2,000 or so) bringing on the most contagious virus on earth (NLV) and spreading it around before admitting he is sick. That's what ruins your cruise.

The Center for Disease Control tells us that they estimate EVERY cruise on EVERY ship, there are at least 40 - 60 new passengers boarding with NLV symptoms. But the passengers are unwilling to tell us about it because they will possibly be denied boarding or be placed in isolation. They are willing to bet the price of their cruise that they will not end up ruining yours. Or maybe they just don't care...........................

I am onboard with you on that cruise.. I can't believe it's almost here! We are completely psyched! Hope you are able to make it to the meet and greet! Check the Roll call thread for more info!

See you soon!

~Julie

I was just joking about the crew party, I'm in the food business

Hello fellow "foodie"....are you in sales, chef, restaurant..etc? Previous restaurant wine sales here, and now in food sales the last 2 years.

We do see a lot of things in our business. And of course worry about all the things that could make us ill.

Hope you have a safe and wonderful cruise. I am on the "O" in little over 4 weeks. Looking forward to it.

Cheers! :)

Thats what I love about this forum.

I guess you are right about the Virus issue because they do not live for days an a door knob only a few hours, but at least we will have a clean and updated ship and bring on the hand sanitizer:).

Maybe there should be misters while entering the ship that spray everyone with a combination of Sanitizer, Vitamin C and Echinacia

(Just Kidding:rolleyes: )

Yes, I am in the food business with a Restaurant/Deli/Catering operation in Los Angeles area for almost 50 years:o , so needless to say I have seen it all, and the though of someone else planning the menu is heaven to me!!!

Hot4disney I will definatly try to make the roll call if I can break away from being the tour director for my crazy freinds and family:eek:. A little off the subject but given your title I thought you would enjoy that we also do 4 days every year the Sunday after thanksgiving at the Grand Californian in Disneyland. Perfect timing, there are small crowds and all the Christmas decor is in full swing.

Thanks!!!!

Archived