Med cruise with 10 month old?

We have cruised with our son since he was 9 months old. However, we have limited that to Caribbean cruises where the cost of the cruise is less...especially the 3rd person rate. We will eventually take him on some European cruises, but when he's a little older to appreciate what he's seeing.

Has anyone taken their infant on cruise? Recently found out expecting but booked a med cruise for Oct 08... I don't want to cancel, but I don't want to leave the baby with grandparents because I will be nursing. What to do??

Of course this question should be asked on a medical board but if grandparents are out only because of nursing you can store your milk up to three months. With baby at granmas you'll be able to get the drink of the day........ :)

Enjoy, little people grow up way too fast!

Being to Europe a couple of times I can say it is not a relaxing vacation. You would want to see as much as possible in a short time. It isn't like going to "another" island where one is like another so you can relax and go to the beach or stay on board when you have to consider the babies schedule. I would consider transfering the booking to a less strenuous trip. The Med will be there in years to come when you can truly enjoy it. Also consider the trip over to Europe on an airplane for 7 hours or so. Doesn't sound like too much fun for a new mother. Cruising for young families is a great vacation but it doesn't sound like as much fun doing the Med with a 10 mo old.

I don't know how much of a "vacation" it will be when you have to adhere to a baby's schedule. I was nursing, too, when I had a chance to go away with my hubby on a much needed "re-aquaintance" trip! Left son and lots of milk with grandparents. Came back refreshed (and soooo happy to see my baby). But, he was just fine, and he and grandparents had time to bond. It worked out so well for everyone. Sometimes it good for everyone to take a little break!

Yeah that is what I keep trying to tell my husband but he won't have it! I think he will change his mind once the baby is born and he gets used to the fussiness with that. I couldn't imagine taking an infant on such a long plain ride anyhow... I guess we will just have to see how it goes. I might just cancel... :-(

Oh wow, this brings back a mental image of a mom on our cruise, that happened to have been on many shore tours with us. She was trying to maneuver a stroller down an ancient italian/turkish street. There are cobblestoens allllllllllllllllllllllll over europe. The surfaces aren't quite flat, and unless your stroller has 4x4 wheel drive, I'd say the wheels can get stuck inbetween stones. Then the kid goes flying forward :eek:

Yep, happened a couple times a day to the poor mom.

So although it is tempting, unless you can put the baby in the torso carry pouch, I'd really wait until they are a bit bigger.

I also agree that Med cruises aren't relaxing. You're up at 5am everyday to catch a 7am shore excursion ..... then out on the excursion until 6pm, every day, and you're soooo exhausted when you get back!

But Europe is awesome!

But Europe is exhausting!

If you'd like, you can read our Mediterranean adventures in the review below.

:)

Has anyone taken their infant on cruise? Recently found out expecting but booked a med cruise for Oct 08... I don't want to cancel, but I don't want to leave the baby with grandparents because I will be nursing. What to do??

First of all, congratulations!

Your life will never be the same again. ;) And I mean that in the nicest way. :D

I nursed both of mine for a full year. I would never have attempted the trip you are describing. I *was* able to pump, and for some reason, even though it was *me*, they never wanted *me* out of a bottle.

Actually, by 10 months, even if you are still nursing s/he will be on solids and it would be a decent time to wean.

But only you will know how you feel...........the catch is that you won't know until THEN how you feel.

Me? I couldn't leave mine, and I couldn't take them.

We didn't do "away" vacations when the children were small.

Good luck with your decision-making!

Europeans travel with their babies all the time. They put them in backpacks, and they go wherever Mom and Dad go. That includes cruises, on the train, 1 week and 6 weeks of travel. It matters not.

That said, if you are not used to it (is this your first?), I would give it some extra thought. Babies are most comfortable being home, and a long plane ride is not easy on babies either. Could you go this summer instead? Seeing that your baby will be 10 months in October of next year I dare say you are about 6 weeks along. If so, traveling while pregnant is easier than with a baby. :)

Yes, this is our first. Funny story really- we have been trying for about 2 years now and gave up on it this past Nov. That is when we decided a nice cruise was in order- So March of this year I booked the cruise- my doctor said we pretty much got pregnant the day I booked-- LOL

This is a happy event for both of us, but a little disapointing that we won't be able to take our cruise. Maybe in 15 years or so? LOL I guess Europe will have to wait! Thanks again!

Europeans travel with their babies all the time. They put them in backpacks, and they go wherever Mom and Dad go. That includes cruises, on the train, 1 week and 6 weeks of travel. It matters not.

That said, if you are not used to it (is this your first?), I would give it some extra thought. Babies are most comfortable being home, and a long plane ride is not easy on babies either. Could you go this summer instead? Seeing that your baby will be 10 months in October of next year I dare say you are about 6 weeks along. If so, traveling while pregnant is easier than with a baby. :)

Hey! Looks like someone changed her name............... ;)

Why? :)

Onelifetolive2: It's amazing how we get so lucky when we take a break, isn't it? We were in the same boat (or should I say ship?:p )

By the time your dear little one is 10 months, you'll be wanting a vacation. I'd vote for still sailing, but on a less strenuous itinerary. Like a previous poster mentioned....Europe will still be there!

Hi

We will be going on our first cruise with a 4.5 year old and an 8 month old in two weeks. We are going on the Med Treasures cruise. For us the choices were going on a non-flying holiday cruise or going back to Disneyworld. Having had our 2nd son we dedided not to do the long flight, so opted for the cruise, whereby the port for us is Southampton a couple of hours drive.

If you want to know what the cruise was like with young children just e.mail me at lisastep at hotmail dot com after 19th May and I can let you know. Of course for you would be the addition of the flight to get over here, which would be slightly daunting....however we did a long haul flight to Mexico with our first son when he was 6 months and that was fine...slept a lot!!

Good luck with the forthcoming event and happy decision making!

Lisa

UK:)

We did a Danube cruise with our 11 month old son and a Southern Caribbean with our 10 month old daughter. We had a great time on both cruises. It was a great vacation with the kids, not away from them.

Although I have never cruised with a baby, I have done major trips with both of my children when they were 6 months old. The first was to visit a friend in Japan. We spent 10 days touring Japan and seeing all of the Temples, Castles and Shrines. I also was nursing, exclusively so I found that very easy. We had a good metal frame backpack carrier and just put him in and away we went. It was probably one of the easiest vacations with children I have ever done. We did not bring a stroller, as we were dependant upon public transportation for the whole time.

I would say go for it, a backpack carrier is essential, and make sure you pack enough diapers (when they are gone it leaves room for souveniers). My mom and my friends thought I was crazy, but it was an awesome vacation, and at 10 years old he likes to tell people that he has been to Japan. (although he has no recollection there are plenty of pictures.).

Just wanted to point out (in case it plays into your decision), you WILL have to pay full 3rd passenger fares for your 10 month old, and full tips are suggested as well.

Good luck with your decision! If it were me, I'd book a 3 person stateroom now, and make the decision at final payment. But that's me :p

A~

Hi there ..wow how strange to read your post. My husband & I, after trying for 4years, just found out we are expecting as well. We will be due around Christmas this year. Even stranger thing is, we are just back from Panama Canal cruise (april 6-16) and booked a med-greece cruise in October 2008. How funny! Almost the same exact situation! We were just talking about whether to cancel & rebook somewhere else, or use the booking for a cruise this summer during our second trimester. Good luck!

Archived