Whale sightings from shore in Juneau?

nevarez

We will be in Juneau mid-May. Captain Larry (on another thread) just said that the humpback whales are coming back now to Juneau. I woud like to know if it's possible to see them ( the whales that is:) )from the shore. Where would be the best place to see them?

You'll get better views of whales from the ship that you ever will from land, and the ship views are almost always distant and fleeting. Two-three hours south of Juneau in particular, though, there is a high likelihood of seeing humpback whales. That requires being on deck early in the morning, though, so few people ever see them there.

Murray

You'll get better views of whales from the ship that you ever will from land, and the ship views are almost always distant and fleeting. Two-three hours south of Juneau in particular, though, there is a high likelihood of seeing humpback whales. That requires being on deck early in the morning, though, so few people ever see them there.

Murray

Thanks Murray. Since our ship (Oosterdam) doesn't get into port in Juneau till 11AM, two to three hours south puts us at about 8AM or so in the morning. That's not too early so I'll have to just go out on deck and see if I spot anything. Also, I read somewhere on the boards also that sometimes the captain will let the pax know if there are whales to be seen and on which side of the ship. Did you find that to be the case in your experience?

Ana

I have seen whales from St. Theresa's Shrine one time, when I was there with a rental car. But this was PURE chance. Public parking lot, was the reason I happened to stop there.

We are planning on renting a car also, so if we have some time, we'll stop in the area ( just in case).:)

Ana

i didn't see any humpbacks from the ship...and, BOY, was i looking.

i was out as the ship cruised up to juneau..nothing. but had a great time on my whale watching boat.

the other place BQ has talked about is before the ship enters glacier bay, since we were there late in the season, it wasn't light until 6am, but i was out looking. same with as the ships cruised out of glacier bay. did see a couple of far-off spouts.

the only whales we saw from the ship was, somewhere, north of vancouver island the day before we got to juneau (that a long somewhere)...saw a couple of small whales for about 5 to 10 mins. lucky we were looking, we saw them way off in front of the ship and got to watch then as the ship passed. it was so COOL!!

BUT you have to be watching for them ALL the time, since we were there with family...that cut into my watching time. keep the binoculars handy.

Thanks Murray. Since our ship (Oosterdam) doesn't get into port in Juneau till 11AM, two to three hours south puts us at about 8AM or so in the morning. That's not too early so I'll have to just go out on deck and see if I spot anything. Also, I read somewhere on the boards also that sometimes the captain will let the pax know if there are whales to be seen and on which side of the ship. Did you find that to be the case in your experience?

Only once out of 3 times were the whales announced (on RCI ships) :( .

Ana

I'll assume you are coming from south- Ketchikan?? You really need to be up and out before 8am. Since that time only puts you out 3 hours worth of sailing, if the ship is early and can happen, you will miss them.

I am out on average 1/2 hour before dawn and have always seen humpbacks. But I can't recall the last time I saw them within 2 hours of Juneau??? It's always been well before. Last trip, passed by about 25 in Stephens Passage.

Frankly, no there are NOT going to be any announcements at 8am, if at all. It's fairly rare for ships to announce since there were complaints and many times, the ship is well past the sighting by time most people are able to get outside.

I'll assume you are coming from south- Ketchikan?? You really need to be up and out before 8am. Since that time only puts you out 3 hours worth of sailing, if the ship is early and can happen, you will miss them.

BQ, the Oosterdam's itinerary says Seattle to Juneau 11AM arrival( thru Stephen's Passage first). What time should I be out on deck to look for whales? After Juneau, Hubbard Glacier, then Sitka 8AM, Ketchikan 7AM, Victoria BC (6PM arrival). Any chance I may see them from other ports?

Thanks!

Ana

BQ, the Oosterdam's itinerary says Seattle to Juneau 11AM arrival( thru Stephen's Passage first). What time should I be out on deck to look for whales?

Sailing this area I am out 1/2 hour before dawn.

BQ, the Oosterdam's itinerary says Seattle to Juneau 11AM arrival( thru Stephen's Passage first). What time should I be out on deck to look for whales? After Juneau, Hubbard Glacier, then Sitka 8AM, Ketchikan 7AM, Victoria BC (6PM arrival). Any chance I may see them from other ports?

Thanks!

Ana

If you want orcas then take a tour out of Victoria, very good chance of sightings. Also usual sightings on boat tours out of Sitka- plus this has varied wildlife, and a top tour pick in my opinion.

Thanks, BQ, for the advice! I'll try to be out on deck ( or balcony) before dawn! I wonder if DH is up for that?:)

Ana

Unless you have a front viewing balcony, you cut your sightings by over 50% with side viewing. If you are serious- you need a full front view and the ability to track from the front. the ship does not slow down so your views are brief anyway.

Ana

When we were on the Dawn Princess last year, the captain was GREAT about tell us about the whales. We got to see them a couple of times. Once right off the side of the ship as I was coming out the door. Boy, was that exciting to see. Saw the big tale flip up in the air. We cruised mid September.

• 4 weeks later...

If you going north-bound, try to get up 2 hr before arriving Juneau, there is a very good chance spotting whales in the area 2-3 hrs south of Juneau. Last yeat I was working out in the gym early in the morning in the aft and saw many sprouts coming from distance. I was glad I keep the binoculars in the gym bag and are able to get out to have a good view of them. Now, you know the trick, be prepared! Get up early: whales will be there, scenery both sides are awesome!, don't forget your binoculars.

Archived