So how about this Chops Grill???

aearly

I will be sailing on the 8/21 Navigator of the Seas. I am considering surprising my family with a trip to Chops one of the Nights. Is this a good idea? How is Chops compared to the dining room (and Portofino for that matter). Also, which of the 7 nights (Western) would be the best to do so? I would appreciate any comments! Thanks a lot!

-aearly

I didn't eat at Portofino when I was on Voyager. I'm sure the food is good, but my opinion is, I paid for the cruise. The food in the dining room, Windjammer, and even room service is included, so why spend $20 a person on the alternate restaurant? One guy on another thread said that his bill ended up being more like $100 for the two of them, I guess with ordering a bottle of wine, tips, etc. People complained enough to get Johnny Rockets to be free (it was a little cheesy making people pay for burgers, after all...), maybe if people complain enough, these restaurants will be, too. :rolleyes:

Bear in mind that each day of each cruise of each ship is going to give individuals differing experiences. That said, we did Chops on the NOS in 4/03. DW got an excellent ribeye and I ate what I honestly consider to be the best prime rib I've had in my entire life, and trust me, living in Las Vegas, I eat a lot of prime rib. The service, IMHO, was less than expected for the surcharge, and the atmosphere was that of a typical steakhouse. But the food was so superior to that in the dining room, I am planning on eating there at least once on my upcoming cruise.

I didn't eat at Portofinos, but was told by table mates who had that it was an excellent meal with extraordinary service.

Please find me on this board after your cruise and tell me what the current surcharge is to eat in either venue. I have read on this board that NOS is now charging $25 pp but other ships are still only charging $20, and that seems a bit odd to me. I'll be curious to find out the real amount.

Chops was truly outstanding in all respects this May on the Serenade. Ditto Portofino. In fact, the food and service were so far superior to what we had in the DR, that we ended up going to Chops and Portofino twice each during the 11 day cruise. Try each at least once--they are special and at 20.00 per person--good, solid value.

My wife and I went to chops on the Brilliance 1 1/2 years ago and it was by FAR the Best Filet Mignon I ever had. The second time we went it was almost as good as the first.

All Filet Mignon's I now eat get compared to Chop's!!!

I would definetely do it again IF it was just adults. I wouldn't take my six year old there.

ditto to mtebor....

Each time we waste $20, I say "That could have been dinner at Chops!"

Let's put it this way, yah it's $20, but it's easily a $100 meal for two people on land. Oh, and the $20 is a COVER charge, that means you pretty much have free reign over the menu...

Certainly worth the 'cover' charge! BTW, depending on whether your family includes children, you may want to check with RCCL since I believe they restrict kids under a certain age in both Chops and Portofino. Enjoy, it's a great meal!

IMO, both Chops and Portofino are well worth the cover charge and then some. The food is terrific, as is the service. Actually, my husband and I plan to eat at both places most of the nights we will be on our 10 day cruise in September. The menu is substantial and sure to please. The food quality is superior and so is the wait staff. We enjoy the treat and it makes no difference to us if we have "paid for food with the cruise fare." We definitely could not eat this well for this price anywhere on land.

Try both venues and enjoy it.

I do remember that last year on our 15 day Radiance Cruise Chops and POrtifino offered 1/2 price specials for lunch when we were in port! A great way to sample a FABULOUS dining experience and it is like a 2 for 1 ! Well worht the price at $10 or $20 can't wait to board the Serenade in October and have another Filet and the chocolate deserts! YUM!

We had lunch in Chops the day we were sailing Hubbard Glacier. We had a great view and the day was rainy and cold so while we were enjoying our fantastic meal and service we watched calving. The only problem with eating at Chops was we were not expecting our time at Hubbard to be so short, we left Hubbard before our dessert so we were not able to experience the "sounds" of Hubbard. I would suggest you plan on a late lunch (1 pm) that day, so you don't miss anything.

I believe they offer lunch at both premium restaurants during the cruise on sea days? Just check on boarding day and make your reservations. We felt lunch was a wonderful way to see if we liked it.

We ate at both Chops and Portofino's in April..........Loved Chop's but didn't care for Portofino's......it is all your personal tastes.......

Have taken 7 RC cruises and our Chop';s meal IMO was the best we ever had on a RC ship......well worth the additional charge.

Jim

We ate at Chops and I believe it is top notch....we are going on the Mariner on the 19th of Sept. and will surely eat there again.....Now I have not tried Portofino's but have heard good things....I think we will try it on the Mariner this time also.

I think it is worth the 20.00pp plus we had such good service we gave a little bit more. It really was excellent service!

My parents just got off of the Mariner and ate at Chops and said it was horrible. They were there at 8:30 and didn't get food until 11:30. Not too impressive. They said it was very chaotic and they even had to credit one of their friends since they totally messed up her order.

-Sam

We tried both Chops and Portifinos (twice each) on our March 8th Brilliance cruise.

In OUR opinion, the food and service in Portifinos was far and away superior to anything at Chops. While the Mystery dinner was pricy (50 per person) we LOVED the campy mystery and the food and service were wonderful. The steak that was part of that feast was tender, flavorful and done exactly to my liking. I cannot say the same for any of the meat ordered at Chops by either my DH or myself.

Hubby and I just returned from a cruise on NOS, where we dined at Portofinos one night. It was $25 pp and was worth every penny! In fact, the food in there reminded me of what the food used to be like in the dining room. Honestly, when we took our first cruise 10 years ago on the Monarch, I was MUCH more impressed by the food. The dining room food this time around was ok, and in particular, the gala buffet was a huge letdown compared to ten years ago! I think we will go back to sailing on the smaller series of ships. Also, the age requirement requested for dining in both of their specialty restaurants is 13 and older, so I was dismayed to see quite a few babies in there. It is supposed to be an intimate dining experience. You wouldn't bring your baby to a 4 or 5 star restaurant on land, would you? I have two kids, and I know better!

Archived