Holiday Inn On The Bay San Diego

Dave4120

Hi Everyone...I had posted and responded to several inquiries about good hotels in San Diego. It seemed like San Diego was one of the only cities where just as many reviews thought highly of the same hotel that others thought was terrible for various reasons.

I just wanted everyone to know that you might want to consider The Holiday Inn On The Bay which is right across the street from the cruise port, and if you have a light luggage load, is walkable.

I only mention this because they are going through a 20 MILLION dollar renovation. We figured if everything is going to be new, how can you lose.

I would think this hotel might be good if your trip is from late August forward, wince the renovations will be going on until then.

This is just my thought process, and I am sure many of you have your own hotels that you know are good based on your research. But, if you are totally in the dark like we were, I think anyway, we made at least a good decision for later in Ocotber when we cruise.

Dave

They do have a shuttle, but it really is faster by foot. We had a lot of luggage and still made it across the street. And, BTW, we were lucky to get the HI on the Bay for our Hawaii cruise (Oct. 2005) through Priceline. Actually, we won the U.S. Grant, but since the renovations there weren't finished, we were switched to the HI. Now the U.S. Grant is going for upwards of $300 per night, so I'm sure we wouldn't win it at all on Priceline. Our HI room worked just fine for us post-cruise, although pre-cruise we were in the Westin Horton Plaza (same situation with U.S. Grant) and that was really lovely.

Hi Folks...Yes, The Holiday Inn On The Bay does provide Free shuttle to the ship. Obviously, if your luggage load is light, you can walk to the pier. But in many instances, that cannot be done. Too many bags, heavy bags, maybe if someone tires easily, etc. So, in either case, there should not be any issues.

And with the hotel being renovated, i hope the rooms and the experience will be pleasant.

Good Luck.

Dave

• 1 month later...
Hi Everyone...I had posted and responded to several inquiries about good hotels in San Diego. It seemed like San Diego was one of the only cities where just as many reviews thought highly of the same hotel that others thought was terrible for various reasons.

I just wanted everyone to know that you might want to consider The Holiday Inn On The Bay which is right across the street from the cruise port, and if you have a light luggage load, is walkable.

I only mention this because they are going through a 20 MILLION dollar renovation. We figured if everything is going to be new, how can you lose.

I would think this hotel might be good if your trip is from late August forward, wince the renovations will be going on until then.

This is just my thought process, and I am sure many of you have your own hotels that you know are good based on your research. But, if you are totally in the dark like we were, I think anyway, we made at least a good decision for later in Ocotber when we cruise.

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave. Did they give a specific date for completion? I just booked it for Labor Day weekend(Fri-Mon) for a land vacation.

Marie

I keep reading reviews of people complaining about the noise - especially the trains - at night keeping them awake. I can't imagine that a renovation can help that problem. I have reservations for Oct. but after research I think we ought to see if we can't find a balcony (major requirement) :) room elsewhere.

Hi Everyone...To answer a few of the questions and concerns, I did find out that the renovation is slated to be completed by the beginning of

August. They said it's a 20 million dollar renovation. I am just assuming the experience would be better after the renovation, since many have complained about the current conditions.

From what I understand, almost every hotel in downtown San Diego is noisy, not just this Holiday Inn. I figure, I'm starting my vacation just before my cruise, so I really do not care, even though it could very well be a distraction for others. I think if people are sensitive to noise, it might be better to stay a bit further out on the bay, then take a cab or other transportation into town for sight seeing, dinner, etc.

One final note...We might still change from the Holiday Inn On the Bay to another hotel. Wasn't going to change, but just learned that a brand new Hard Rock Hotel is being built right in the Gaslamp area, and it is supposed to be completed by September. If that is true, might switch to this new hotel. I went to the Hard Rock Hotel San Diego website, and the photos of the rooms look outstanding. They will begin taking reservations at the end of July or early August. Even though I will be 53 in August, I still love the commotion and atmosphere of a Hard Rock to kick off our vacation.

Good luck to everyone with their hotel decisions.

Dave

and have not noticed too many complaints about the Holiday Inn on the Bay as far as the noise. Other hotels, yes, but not so much of the Holiday Inn on the Bay. We like the location, especially for a land vacation(with no rental car) and I am satisfied with the rennovations they are doing. The Hard Rock does sound like a consideration though, for sure. Thanks for sharing about that Dave.

Marie

Hi Again Marie...I haven't read about any more noise at The Holiday Inn than any other hotel in the downtown area, so that isn't a factor in our decision.

One thing nice from what I have read is that The Holiday Inn is right acorss the street from the cruise pier terminal. The hotel does provide shuttle, but, if I can talk my wife into packing lighter than she normally does for our cruise vacations, I can just walk to the ship with our luggage. That's how close it is to the hotel.

In addition, even though some people might not agree, we are happy that the Holiday Inn has a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse on premise. Can't wait.

Dave

I think it's a great location and the renovations is just the icing on the cake. I read all soft goods will be replaced, which is very appealing to me. All considered it is still our choice for Labor Day weekend if we proceed forward. Btw, I went to the Hard Rock site, and WOW!!!! I wonder what rates will start at???

Btw, I love cruising in and out of San Diego. It is so EASY!

Marie

If this works for you I think that would be great. But I have never seen any renovation project that came in on schedule so you might not want to cancel one reservation until you are SURE about other room actually being completed.

Hi all. We've stayed here when we want a "Cruise fix". We get a balcony overlooking the water, watch the ships come in and go out, and pretend we're going to be on them. My husband took a picture of me in front of the HAL Oosterdam- little did I know he had already booked us on it as a Christmas gift! The hotel has a beautiful view of the bay. You are right across the street from the cruise dock. I've heard the train but since we are on the other side of the hotel facing the water, it has never bothered us. We love to eat at Anthony's right across the street. They are remodeling their fine dining restaurant, and have a regular indoor restaurant and bar, and an outdoor informal pick up eating area. Our son loves Ruth Chris and we go there for special events. We like to walk along the water and look at their "Urban Trees' which vary in style and materials. One favorite was the "Shoe Tree" covered with...shoes. They also had a beautiful 'kelp' tree with kelp made from brass and covered with the various fish to be found in the kelp forests. These change so you never know what you will see. We've walked to Sea Port Village when we had the time and just wanted to get out for a stroll. Not the fanciest place I have ever stayed in, but we enjoy the area and feel at peace there. Have a great trip!

Auburn6, I hope your Holiday Inn is cancellable. Most hotels near cruise pier do not allow bookings until 1 year out. since you are going 1 Aug 08 you may find that it is not book up so much as not allowed to book just yet. This true except if there is a boat show or another big event going on then.

I made our reservations over the phone to Holiday Inn and she said it was all booked up and to call as the date gets closer because they always have cancellations, but I think I will stay where I am., besides we are leaving our car there during the cruise and it has 10 days of free parking.

Archived