Anyone joined the Carribbean Princess from the UK?

hc_cruiser

I was wondering how the connection from Ft Lauderdale to the ship works. Anyone know how long it takes? Also, on disembarkation, when do Princess transfer you? Our flight back to the UK is at 5pm. Is there any hospitality available? Where and when do Princess pick you up for the airport again.

Joining the ship first week in September. Would appreciate any knowledge.

Hi,

My family is on a BTB on CB starting 24th June - We fly out that morning from Gatwick and arrive in FLL about 2pm I think. There are seven of us in total (ranging from 14 to 88 in age).

When we get back (9th July) I'll post a thread as to how it all went - 2months yesterday - can't wait:D

Colin

When I did it with my DW about 18 months ago we flew out and were transferred to the InterContinental for 1 night. After the cruise we were transferred to the hotel for lunch and sat around the public rooms until we got the bus to the airport. It all worked very smoothly.

I am surprised you fly out the day of sailing... with a ship departing at 5pm and US immigration and transfers, I would have thought that a 2pm arrival at FLL is cutting it a bit fine. I know that many of the Barbados based ships fly out the day of sailing, but that is with charter flights and a sailing time around 8-9pm.

We have cruised from FLL 5 times with Princess and they have always flown us out to Miami the day before the cruise, and put us up overnight in the Intercontinental Hotel.

On the day of sailing, a bus transfer around noon takes 45 minutes or so to get to the port.

On disembarkation, they bus us back to the same hotel for lunch, and then on to the airport, via the Dolphin Mall for later departing flights.

Compared to other cruise lines we have travelled with, Princess' post-cruise package has been the best by far.

We are also doing this on 22nd July. The times are the same as yours, I believe. Flying out in the morning and arriving around 2.00 pmfor a 5.00pm sailing. We were worried about the short time gap in case of delays as we've also arrived the day before on previous cruises (only 2 of them!). We shared our worries with our travel agent, who said that as our flight was a charter by Princess, if there were any problems they would probably delay the ship as there would be over 200 passengers that would be arriving late! :eek:

We're just trusting that things go smoothly. :D

Yes, we fly directly into FLL and have transfers direct to ship.

Flight is a Princess charter with FirstChoice, from what I can gather they're shorthaulcharters are a bit dire but longhaul are meant to be recently upgraded and one of the best.

Has anyone flown this route with them??:confused:

We are also doing this on 22nd July. The times are the same as yours, I believe. Flying out in the morning and arriving around 2.00 pmfor a 5.00pm sailing. We were worried about the short time gap in case of delays as we've also arrived the day before on previous cruises (only 2 of them!). We shared our worries with our travel agent, who said that as our flight was a charter by Princess, if there were any problems they would probably delay the ship as there would be over 200 passengers that would be arriving late! :eek:

We're just trusting that things go smoothly. :D

I read a review somewhere that the Carribbian Princess delayed sail off from Fort Lauderdale for two hours so that a plane load of passangers could board. So I guess Princess takes careof it.

We recently returned from Sea Princess, with similar arrangements - charter to FLL. The flight was over an hour late, and there were insufficient buses to take everybody to the ship at once, so we didn't board until around 5.20pm, just in time for muster drill Departure was delayed until 7pm, so I wouldn't worry about missing the boat.

Post-cruise was very good - well organised at the port, then transfer to an hotel for relaxation and a buffet lunch before transfer to the airport.

I am surprised you fly out the day of sailing... with a ship departing at 5pm and US immigration and transfers, I would have thought that a 2pm arrival at FLL is cutting it a bit fine. I know that many of the Barbados based ships fly out the day of sailing, but that is with charter flights and a sailing time around 8-9pm.

We have cruised from FLL 5 times with Princess and they have always flown us out to Miami the day before the cruise, and put us up overnight in the Intercontinental Hotel.

On the day of sailing, a bus transfer around noon takes 45 minutes or so to get to the port.

On disembarkation, they bus us back to the same hotel for lunch, and then on to the airport, via the Dolphin Mall for later departing flights.

Compared to other cruise lines we have travelled with, Princess' post-cruise package has been the best by far.

Hi I agree with all the above, we went from the UK in November and we had a few hours to spare at a Mall that Princess arranged comlimentary on the way back.

Thanks to all for these reassuring comments. :D

Nice to know that the ship does wait for late flight arrivals.

Martin and Lindsey

What are you intending to do on your day docked in FLL?

We were thinking of getting a taxi to a mall - I think it is called saw grass mall - something like that. Would be interested in your ideas.

Thanks to all for these reassuring comments. :D

Nice to know that the ship does wait for late flight arrivals.

Martin and Lindsey

What are you intending to do on your day docked in FLL?

We were thinking of getting a taxi to a mall - I think it is called saw grass mall - something like that. Would be interested in your ideas.

We were thinking we might take a water taxi to explore and see the expensive celebrity houses, or take a trip on the Jungle Queen or the Carrie B boats. There are supposed to be some very good restaurants at the water's edge.

I've heard that the Saw Grass Mall is enormous with lots to see, so if we have time we might take a look around.

At the end of our cruise, we don't fly home until 5.00pm so we intend to have a day at Butterfly World.

Hope this helps.:)

Martin and Lindsey

Thanks for responding. We have not started making firm plans as yet as we are not going until September, but I think we are likely to visit the mall. I shall look out for your review and update when you return.

We are doing the same on July 8th.

At first was a tad worried about flying out on the day of sailing.

We have been before and always flown the day before.

I'm dreading this. Only for the fact that we will be awake for 2 days.

Ahh well.

As for First Choice.

Best long haul flight I have EVER had.

Seeting is 2, 2, 2.

Personal computer in seatback with films you can pause rewind etc, just like Sky +.

Loads of games, and you can play battleships with anyone on the plane.

After playing with this, being totally engosed, it was time to land.

Loads of leg room and really comfy seats. Excellent.

And as the plane is hired from First Choice it will (should) be only cruise people on it.

Pay the $15 jump in a cab and beat everyone else to the ship, Lol

Hope this helps

kezz

Kezz

Looking forward to reading your reviews of your cruise. Especially how the transfers go both on the inward and outward flights. Like you, we have always arrived a day before departure so am a tad anxious.

Enjoy your holidays.

Hi Kezz, we are travelling in September, like you to Caribbean Princess on First Choice. I'm interested in what you said about the seats being 2 x 2 x 2 as I've looked on the website and it looks 2 x 3 x 2 - were you just in the standard seats or did you upgrade and can you recall what type of plane it was? I must admit, I do like the idea of flying out the same day as catching the ship, even though we have to go from Gatwick.

Thanks

hi Kittkat

We flew with FC to the Maldives last May and it was 2 2 2.

We asked for 2 aisle seats. The girl on desk said no problem at all.

We were happy.

then on on the plane to see 2 2 2 and was even happier, Lol

I'm sure it was, but i'll check it out and let you know about the seats and the plane.

I'm at work now.

Scrub above :(

Me wrong you right

Seating is 2 3 2 But wide, leather very comfy seats. They use a Boeing 767-300. And the food was really nice as well (As nice as plane food can be)

The reason that we were happy is the leg room of 33" and the fab seatback computer to play with.

It has been the best flight we have ever taken. Honest.

Kezz

Goes off in a corner to suck his thumb

Hi there - I am thinking of booking the 14 day itinerary on 8 July, but am worried about the charter flights and the fact that they go out the same day!

The posts in this thread have been really helpful, but can any of you tell me what the luggage allowance is with the princess charter flights? Also - are they all first choice or do they vary?

Thanks

Archived