Volendam Cruise Letter to HAL- A complaint

voyeurism26

Hey everyone! Its great to hear everyone's opinion and comments! I just wanted to comment on a few things just to clear the air.

As for the customs inspector/agent, yes I agree, its not HAL's problem, but they need to be informed about what is going on when passengers are getting off the ship. If I was in the airport and getting off my chosen airline and was treated by the customs agent as I was treated when getting off the ship, I would have contacted the airline. Again, its not the Ships problem but they need to be notified in what type inspectors are doing on the ground. I'm sure HAL has the connections to contact the proper authorities and inform the US customs department that in some cases the inspectors are being out of line.

I don't think that when I leave home on vacation, I need to bring documents proving that I purchased my watches, shoes, clothes, camera equipment in the United States in regular retail stores and I certainly would not bring them with me on a cruise or when I leave the country for vaction.

As far as the folks that posted they had a great time and they didn't see the quality of service and portion of food being small, we all have different expectations. Perhaps my needs when it comes to service is more demanding then others. I don't go on the ship being rude to any of the guests or the staff, I mind my own business and I try to enjoy my vacation. Did I have a lousy time...NO, I did enjoy the cruise, I relaxed and had a very peaceful vacation. Will I go back on HAL or take another cruise...YES!

I also wanted to comment on the poster regarding that we should have complained about our service and the food portions while on ship, we did. I went to the pursurses desk to complain about the internet cafe and the server that told me not to order the Pina Colada because they are terrible and walked away. I also told them about this "skinny" women on the ship that seem to be part of the "staff" and she was very pushy and rude but unfortunetaly, they looked at me as if I was an alien, and didn't seem to take my comments seriously, so I decided to write a letter to HAL. The letter I wrote to HAL and sent by mail was an edited version of what I had placed on this board. Yes I know its long but I wanted to voice my experience to board members since this site gets many visitors and the more information I can give the better that someone can learn so this doesn't happen to them.

I don't think that when I leave home on vacation, I need to bring documents proving that I purchased my watches, shoes, clothes, camera equipment in the United States in regular retail stores and I certainly would not bring them with me on a cruise or when I leave the country for vaction.

You don't have to bring receipts for all your belongings, you know that. But when you go to an island where one of the main attractions is shopping, especially for jewelry and electronics, it makes sense to do that if your camera, watch or other jewelry could be mistaken for new by US Customs. Unfortunately they know a lot of people cheat on paying duty. That's just the way it is.

If I had an even relatively new Rolex watch and was sailing the Caribbean, I would bring the receipt with me. It is not unreasonable a Customs Official could think it possible it was purchased while on the cruise.

If I had brought an expensive new camera, I would do the same. It's such an easy thing to do to avoid a potential problem.

Produce the legitimate proof of purchase prior to the cruise and you are on your way.

As to delays being allowed ashore in Aruba......... that is not HAL's fault. No country has to permit anyone entry if they do not wish to. Aruba was protecting their population by verifying all facts they felt pertinent about the ship. HAL has no ability to permit people ashore until the ship is cleared. There have been times when the ship is Not cleared and must sail awaY.

I am sure U.S. has done that to visiting vessels many, many times through the years.

Hey everyone! Its great to hear everyone's opinion and comments! I just wanted to comment on a few things just to clear the air.

As for the customs inspector/agent, yes I agree, its not HAL's problem, but they need to be informed about what is going on when passengers are getting off the ship. If I was in the airport and getting off my chosen airline and was treated by the customs agent as I was treated when getting off the ship, I would have contacted the airline. Again, its not the Ships problem but they need to be notified in what type inspectors are doing on the ground. I'm sure HAL has the connections to contact the proper authorities and inform the US customs department that in some cases the inspectors are being out of line.

I don't think that when I leave home on vacation, I need to bring documents proving that I purchased my watches, shoes, clothes, camera equipment in the United States in regular retail stores and I certainly would not bring them with me on a cruise or when I leave the country for vacation. Unquote

Apparently you just don't seem to understand what people are saying about Customs! If you complained to an Airline about a Customs Agent they would look at you as if you had two heads!

Customs Agents are not controlled by or influenced by the Carriers who transport passengers into the U.S.! Simply put they are the Policing Branch of Homeland Security..

NO the Carriers DO NOT have any connections & influence over them... I retired from an Airline after 30 years & worked in a Supervisory position at JFK for 10 of those years... I knew many of the Customs Agents.. However, because I was an Airline Employee my bags were always searched by Customs when I returned to the U.S...We have a personal Friend who is a Customs Agent & he is sent to work in different Airports & Shipping Ports throughout Florida.. If you did not get the name of the Agent, there probably is not much anyone can do, because they rotate them all over Florida...

And no one said you have to "bring documents proving that I purchased my watches, shoes, clothes, camera equipment in the United States in regular retail stores"

You are twisting what we said because you did not read or understand the "Know before you go" booklet that was sent to you by HAL with your documents..

On Page 7 of this booklet it says: Quote

"Registering Your Valuables: We strongly recommend that you register your valuables with Customs before leaving home. This should be done well in advance of travel at a Customs Office near your home. Items that should be registered generally include those not manufactured in your country. If you cannot prove that you owned an item prior to departure, Customs officials may charge you duty to bring it back into your country. Customs pays particular attention to cameras (including special lenses & video equipment), binoculars, radios, laptop computers, foreign-made watches, & other similar appliances." Unquote

All you had to do was bring your receipts for the watches & other valuables with you..We keep our receipts for valuables in one small envelope to bring on our travels..We leave a photocopy at home..

On Page 8 of the same booklet it gives the Customs Allowance for all U.S. Residents, including liquor & & other articles..

Betty

I think it a fine line the cruise lines walk with Homeland Security. They, of course, don't want unnecessary delay for their guests to get on their way but they also know the important works the Agency is doing.

For any cruise line to try to speak firmly with these Agents would only make for uncomfortable relations. They need to work together in harmony for the good of all of us.

In the end, the safey issues are paramount. When a person passing through Customs/Immigrations feels one Customs Inspector is rude or out of line or unprofessional I think it their responsibility to do any reporting of their complaints to appropriate government authorities, not the cruise line. HAL has no influence or power to ability control or how Homeland Security Officers do their work.

Remember, all of them pass through the same Immigration and Customs Inspection the guests do.

Voyeur. if you don't get "satisfaction" from the hard working Front Office staff, ask for a Front Office supervisor. If you are still unhappy, see the Guest Relations Manager, He or she (mostly 'she' - wonder why that is?;) ) has regular "unhappy camper hours" which are posted in the Daily program. Do it on the ship, not after the fact..........works better!

As has been said more eloquently than I can,. HAL (or any other cruise line) has little or no influence as to who the Dept. of Homeland Security puts in the ports or airports as agents. I think pretty much everyone here agrees that you were treated less than professionally by the Customs agents, based on your description of the interaction that took place. The correct and preferable course of action for you and your partner would have been to request to see a supervising agent right there and then in the terminal and make him/her aware of the specific comments that were hurled in your direction . Writing a letter to HAL in Seattle after the fact is not going to do one iota.

I am going to quit wasting bullets on the poor horse now

That, of course, is your choice. And it all depends upon the ports you visit. But if your cruise is in the Caribbean, and you stop at St. Thomas or St. Martin where people often purchase diamonds and expensive jewelry, designer watches, cameras, binoculars, etc., then you should realize that the Customs officials are looking for those type of items and are looking for people who have not properly declared their purchases.

There is always someone who purchases an expensive item and decides to put it on and wear it off the ship and claim that they have owned it for years. The Customs officials are not fools.....and they take the item from you and look for signs of wear or previous use....and if they don't find it, you are on the chopping block.

If you show up with your shiny new Rolex watch, and you can't prove that you bought it before your cruise, you could lose it. If it gets down to a battle between you and Customs, Customs will win every time. They have power.....and that power allows them to confiscate the questionable item if they think you are trying to put something over on them.

I have personally been subjected to intensive questioning over an item I purchased on a cruise worth less than $500......and I have also seen people delayed for many hours because Customs was suspicious of a particular purchase.

If you have a receipt for your pre-cruise purchase, is it really that much of a problem to take it with you? It could protect you from a lot of misery.

I see your point about bringing your documents or proof of purchase for items that you purchased before your cruise, but I don't think the average person that is working Monday-Friday and getting ready for a cruise, getting a hair cut, picking up cleaning and making sure that someone has your key to your home so they can feed your pet and get all your tickets inline and pack for the trip, the last thing on my mind is thinking about taking reciepts for my expensive items.

This was our 25th cruise and we have never had this situation happen to us before so I do apologize for my ignorance regarding customs policy. I take it for granted and I guess this was a learning situation for us for next time when we travel to be more prepared.

Thank you everyone for there great advice!

Archived