Valparaiso to BA--which ports need pre-booked tours?

Tenngal

Which ports have independent tour operators waiting at the ports between Valparaiso and Buenos Aires (not those two cities themselves), without having to make reservations in advance?

I am hoping to simply get off the ship at each port, and find a tour operator seeking an extra person or two for that tour. Is that a bad idea? I'm used to larger ports, where tour operators are begging for people once you get off the ship.

I don't want to pay for the overpriced tours via the ship, and I don't want to pay in advance for independent tours or leave tour operators stranded, at ports that we may end up not reaching, due to weather or whatever. However, I don't want to be stranded either, with no one to take me anywhere!:confused:

So, if I can know which ports (Puerto Montt, Punta Arenas, Ushuaia, and Puerto Madryn and Montevideo) have tour guides waiting, whether they were pre-booked or not, then I can better plan my shore excursions. Does anyone have those answers?

Which ports have independent tour operators waiting at the ports between Valparaiso and Buenos Aires (not those two cities themselves), without having to make reservations in advance?

I am hoping to simply get off the ship at each port, and find a tour operator seeking an extra person or two for that tour. Is that a bad idea? I'm used to larger ports, where tour operators are begging for people once you get off the ship.

I don't want to pay for the overpriced tours via the ship, and I don't want to pay in advance for independent tours or leave tour operators stranded, at ports that we may end up not reaching, due to weather or whatever. However, I don't want to be stranded either, with no one to take me anywhere!:confused:

So, if I can know which ports (Puerto Montt, Punta Arenas, Ushuaia, and Puerto Madryn and Montevideo) have tour guides waiting, whether they were pre-booked or not, then I can better plan my shore excursions. Does anyone have those answers?

If you are going to the penguin type tours in Punta Arenas and Puerto Madryn, I would suggest pre-booking. We had private tours in Puerto Montt and Montevideo, did a ships tour, but could have just gotten on the wildlife cruise without doing through the ship in Ushuaia. Sounded like it was pretty easy to pick up the train and/or the 'ride to the end of the world' on the pier. I have a draft of my review of that segment of the cruise we just got home from which has all the port excursions reviewed along with contact information. If you want a preview, drop me an email and I'll send it to you. donahcbrown at msn.com.

I agree with Donna. We prebooked Puerto Montt, no deposit was needed and we had a super guide.

In Punta Arenas again we prebooked and did not need to forward a deposit. I would definitely book at both these ports as there were not a lot of guides around when we docked/tendered.

In Ushuaia there are plenty of tours available at the dock or you can get a taxi that will take you around. We took a taxi and the driver spoke quite passable English. It was a good 3 and a bit hours and saw everything we needed to see in that time. If you want to do a catamaran cruise, there are places to buy the tickets on the dock.

Again in Puerto Madryn, if you want to see the penguins then prebook as there are only so many drivers that will take you on that long drive.

In Montevideo, we did do a ship's excursion but there wasn't a huge amount to see. I think I would wait until you docked and then see what was available.

Jennie

Thank you, Donna and Jennie, for your input.

Donna, be looking for an e-mail from me for your reviews. (Gee whiz, you live in Hawaii! Seems to me, all you have to do is look out your window to get the cruise experience...:D )

Did either of you use Defrantur for any private tours? If so, how were they? They were very responsive to my first inquiry, and now seem to have dropped off the face of the planet!

We didn't use Defrantur at all. Be careful of paying out money for deposits or making a full payment beforehand as often you do miss ports or are late in arriving.

On our cruise we ended up missing 3 ports due to high winds and bad weather. They were Puerto Madryn, the Falklands and Chocabulco.

Jennie

Tenngal

We used Defrantur for our private excursions in Feb 2007, and the service was first class.We did a private tour of Buenos Aries,Tango Show,Iguazu Falls and transfer to the airport,and Ricardo was brilliant.The only deposit he wanted up front was for the air fare to Iguazu and for the one night stay at the Sheraton Hotel in Igauzu,all other monies were paid on arrival at Buenos Aires.

Thank you, Donna and Jennie, for your input.

Donna, be looking for an e-mail from me for your reviews. (Gee whiz, you live in Hawaii! Seems to me, all you have to do is look out your window to get the cruise experience...:D )

Did either of you use Defrantur for any private tours? If so, how were they? They were very responsive to my first inquiry, and now seem to have dropped off the face of the planet!

Had a great experience with Defrantur, and would highly recommend them. Great service, no prepayments. Ricardo sometimes gets behind on the emails, but will get back to you. Drop a note reminding him, and you'll usually hear something within a day or so.

Hi donna, aussie Girl

we are planning the SA cruise from BA to Valparaiso in Jan/08 and would appreciate if you could send the tour operators that you used to my email:hkelite.tan@gmail.com.

thanks a lot.

Btw - which part of melbourne do you live, aussie girl? we are from Melbourne but currently living in HK.

cheers

tank

Would it be possible for you to post the tour operators? We will be on the Journey, in January, anc wish to do private tours. We are going from Valpariso to Buenos AIres. Many thanks.

Louise

Would it be possible for you to post the tour operators? We will be on the Journey, in January, anc wish to do private tours. We are going from Valpariso to Buenos AIres. Many thanks.

Louise

Louise,

Here is the list of the guides we used in S.A.

In Buenos Aires we used Carlos of Private Tours. His website is www.privatours.com.ar

In Punta Arenas we used Payne tours and dealt with Pamela. The email address is: payne@ctcinternet.cl

In Puerto Montt we used Carlos and his internet is: galindo@hotmail.com

In Valpariso we used Victor and his website is www.enaturchile.com

We missed Puerto Madryn, the Falklands and Chocabuco due to bad weather. In Montevideo we went on a ship's excursion just around the city and in Ushuaia we shared a taxi with another couple. The Taxi driver spoke English and we did a 3 and a hour tour for $50 per couple. He took us to see the Hidden Lake and then to the Tierra del Fuego National Park.

Hope this helps.

Jennie

Defrantur Tours - Yes we used Ricardo when we were in Buenos Aries ending our cruise there.

I highly recommend Ricardo and his company. He was excellent and provided top notch service. I felt he gave 120% of value. Not only did he get us great hotel rates he was very prompt in meeting us (there at or a little before the appointed time) and his tours were great with very professional guides.

As to ports were you do not need pre booked tours - I would say Montedevideo - here there were lots of tour guides on the dock looking for work

& Ushusia this is such a small port a taxi or foot power could do it for you.

All the others I would pre book tours.

If you would like the list of guides/companies I used send me an e-mail ann at century 21 vancouver dot com

Louise,

Drop me an email and I'll send along my draft with all our tour operators listed in it if you want.

Donna

Defrantur Tours - Yes we used Ricardo when we were in Buenos Aries ending our cruise there.

I highly recommend Ricardo and his company. He was excellent and provided top notch service. I felt he gave 120% of value. Not only did he get us great hotel rates he was very prompt in meeting us (there at or a little before the appointed time) and his tours were great with very professional guides.

As to ports were you do not need pre booked tours - I would say Montedevideo - here there were lots of tour guides on the dock looking for work

& Ushusia this is such a small port a taxi or foot power could do it for you.

All the others I would pre book tours.

If you would like the list of guides/companies I used send me an e-mail ann at century 21 vancouver dot com

We would also like to get the names of the guides you used. If it's not too much trouble, would it be possible for both of you to post who you used here on the thread?

Thank you.

Julia

It seems I am the only one who had trouble reaching Ricardo of Defrantur tours. I used his web site twice and emailed twice with no response. I am using Carlos of Private tours and am very happy with his responses and prices. We are going in Feb. and have prebooked everywhere except Montevideo, and Ushuaia and have not sent any deposits except paid for our airfare to Iguazu and the Sheraton with Carlos who by the way got us a great rate compared to what you can get on your own.

Aussie Gal I am taking your advice and not booking for the two ports mentioned above.

Thanks everyone for your imput.

Tank,

An email is on the way.

Jennie

Hi Aussie Gal,

I haven't corresponded with you since you offered your usual good advice when we went to Au/NZ in 2004. We loved Melbourne, BTW!

Please send along the ports information to me too.

savagetwo98@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Jim;)

Hi Jim,

If you read my post number 12 in this thread, you will see I have listed all the tour guides we used and either their websites or their email addresses. Have a good cruise, it is a fascinating part of this world.

Jennie

I am having problems finding Carlos Private Tours in BA. I did find a website but it did not mention his name and I want to make sure I have the correct Carlos. Can someone please lead me to the right website?

Thanks. I have heard great things about him.

We would also like to get the names of the guides you used. If it's not too much trouble, would it be possible for both of you to post who you used here on the thread?

Thank you.

Julia

Just posted parts one and two of my review of the Golden BA-Val, and Val-Aca with full contact info and descriptions in reviews sections.

WAAAY too long to post here.

Hi Donna,

Read your great review. Looking forward for the next installment.

I was wondering if perhaps your waiter, Antonio was the same waiter we had on the Star Princess in 2004? I tried to send a photo of him to your e-mail address but delivery failed twice. I realize that there are numerous Antonio's on Princess but our Antonio brought extras every night so it sounded possible that we were talking about the same waiter. We were hoping to look him up on the Star in Sept 07.

Take care,

Jim;)

Hi Donna,

Read your great review. Looking forward for the next installment.

I was wondering if perhaps your waiter, Antonio was the same waiter we had on the Star Princess in 2004? I tried to send a photo of him to your e-mail address but delivery failed twice. I realize that there are numerous Antonio's on Princess but our Antonio brought extras every night so it sounded possible that we were talking about the same waiter. We were hoping to look him up on the Star in Sept 07.

Take care,

Jim;)

Hi Jim,

Part Two was just posted. Our Antonio was from Portugal, short, slight of build, around 45 or so at a guess, very very good, something of a flirt. ;)

Antonio and Placido were such a great team that they were selected to serve at the Elite Capt.'s lunches, which I gather is quite an honor.

Hi Jim,

Part Two was just posted. Our Antonio was from Portugal, short, slight of build, around 45 or so at a guess, very very good, something of a flirt. ;)

Antonio and Placido were such a great team that they were selected to serve at the Elite Capt.'s lunches, which I gather is quite an honor.

Hi Donna,

Wrong Antonio. Our was definitely Italian and is probably late 50's, early 60's. He was an "old school" Italian waiter. Very friendly but efficient and fed you to death. We got an array of ALL the dessert items at the end of every meal. His technique worked. Big extra tip.:)

BTW we had an Antonio on the Dawn in 1997 who fit your description perfectly. Great waiter!

Thanks for the reply.

Jim;)

Just posted parts one and two of my review of the Golden BA-Val, and Val-Aca with full contact info and descriptions in reviews sections.

WAAAY too long to post here.

Thanks for posting the review. Got the information.

Julia

Louise

Louise, I think we are on the same cruise... Jan 10 on Journey? It's been a long time since we've been on a cruise and I'm out of practice. I'd appreciate any hints as to what you've find out. My email is: pvmeistrel@aol.com

Archived