San Diego Zoo?

skittl1321

I will be sailing out of San Diego on January 1, 2008. My DH and I celebrate our 3 year anniversary on Dec. 31st so we were planning on getting to San Diego on the 30th so we could spend our anniversary at the zoo. We were not planning on renting a car- as most of the hotels near the port that we have seen have both hotel and port shuttles.

Does anyone know of a hotel that ALSO has a zoo shuttle (since it is a major attraction)? Does any public transportation run that way? And failing that, approximately how much would taxi fare be?

Without knowing where you are staying, it is hard to advise. If you are staying in the Gaslamp or Marina district, you can easily take a public bus to the Zoo. There are also buses that leave from right by the cruise ship terminal. A cab from either area one-way would probably run you about $15. You would have to call the hotels or check their website to see if they would shuttle you to the Zoo. The more expensive hotels are more likely to offer this I would think. Check with the Hampton Inn near the pier though. I believe I heard that they will shuttle you.

FOR 27$ EACH YOU GET 8 STOPS INCL ZOO AND CORONADO WITH HOP ON HOP OFF PRIVILEGES FROM 9-4PM....BEST DEAL IN TOWN!...GO HERE FOR DETAILS

http://www.trustedtours.com/store/category2.aspx?SID=5&Category_ID=182

I will be sailing out of San Diego on January 1, 2008. My DH and I celebrate our 3 year anniversary on Dec. 31st so we were planning on getting to San Diego on the 30th so we could spend our anniversary at the zoo. We were not planning on renting a car- as most of the hotels near the port that we have seen have both hotel and port shuttles.

Does anyone know of a hotel that ALSO has a zoo shuttle (since it is a major attraction)? Does any public transportation run that way? And failing that, approximately how much would taxi fare be?

This is a great idea. You could see all kinds of things. I love those little trolley tours. Do you know anyone that lives in San Diego? If so, they have a special where a San Diego resident can ride free with an out of towner.

FOR 27$ EACH YOU GET 8 STOPS INCL ZOO AND CORONADO WITH HOP ON HOP OFF PRIVILEGES FROM 9-4PM....BEST DEAL IN TOWN!...GO HERE FOR DETAILS

http://www.trustedtours.com/store/category2.aspx?SID=5&Category_ID=182

I'd like to say thanks... I was just cruising the boards (pardon the pun) and saw the title... We're cruising in May on the Monarch with a stop in SD. Hadn't decided what to do, and this just looks so cool.

Thanks

D :)

If you want to go to the Zoo, there is a lot to see! You could easily spend a whole day there. Then cab or public transportation would be quickest and most economical.

The trolley is good for a general tour of SD and most of the places it goes to only need a couple of hours, or less. Old town is cool - the earliest settlement in California. And Coronado is well worth exploring.

You may want to consider spending more time in SD and do both. If you've never been to SD, it's a great tourist city. There's a good reason it has a reputation as one of the nicest places to live, or visit, in the USA. Even in January the weather can be pleasant and in the 60s.

If you want to go to the Zoo, there is a lot to see! You could easily spend a whole day there. Then cab or public transportation would be quickest and most economical.

The trolley is good for a general tour of SD and most of the places it goes to only need a couple of hours, or less. Old town is cool - the earliest settlement in California. And Coronado is well worth exploring.

You may want to consider spending more time in SD and do both. If you've never been to SD, it's a great tourist city. There's a good reason it has a reputation as one of the nicest places to live, or visit, in the USA. Even in January the weather can be pleasant and in the 60s.

As we only have one day in SD :( it's a port stop for the Monarch, I am now torn between seeing things like the air/space museum, the natural art museum, the museum of man or the zoo... so many choices, so little time. And to explore Coronado would be so cool too... Ugh. I wish we had another day! I'll just have to book another cruise! :)

Any suggestions?

As we only have one day in SD :( it's a port stop for the Monarch, I am now torn between seeing things like the air/space museum, the natural art museum, the museum of man or the zoo... so many choices, so little time. And to explore Coronado would be so cool too... Ugh. I wish we had another day! I'll just have to book another cruise! :)

Any suggestions?

I did the SD zoo animal park when I had a day in port on the Monarch last November. Had to do the ship excursion because it's an hour north of SD and no way of geting there short of renting a car.

There's so much to see in SD that the hop on hop off trolley may be best to get a flavor of the place, and they give a commentary too.

You'll just have to take a cruise from SD and spend a few days there before or after.

Thanks Jean... I talked to my DS about it last night for his input, as well as his GF - we've decided to take the trolley tour. DH and son would be interested in the air/space museum and since we're on the cruise as a surprise to DH for his birthday, I thought I would go to places that interest him too! LOL.

I'm so glad I found this thread. Thanks for the links to the trolley info as well. Can't wait to see SD.

Two bits of info from a San Diegan. Old town has changed a LOT in the past year since new out of state owners took over. Not the grand Old Town of the past at all. The Wild Animal Park in north county is great. But, in the past one could ride a rail for about 45 minutes all over the many acres and see everything and it was spectacular. They have now changed this to a small bus ride through only part of the acreage. Just a crying shame. So, if any out of towners are looking at OLD information on our city's tourist attractions, you should be made aware of these changes over the past few months.

We had planned to spend the entire day at the zoo- so the hop on hop off trolley will probably not be what we do (we can spend a whole day in the Cincy or Columbus zoo and they are nothing compared to SD. The only zoo that took us less than 2 hours was the 12 exhibit zoo in Des Moines). This is my 3rd anniversary present, so we are spending a good long time there!

I think we are going to fly in mid afternoon on the 30th- so we might give ourselves a walking tour, the zoo on the 31st, and then we leave on the 1st- so we will have a bit of time that morning as well. Maybe we can fit some other museums and sites in on those two days, but the zoo will be an all day affair. (The wild animal park looks great, but the zoo has been my dream for so long. We are planning a safari in 5 years, so we'll see the animals then...)

I live in san diego and as much as i love the zoo it is nothing compared to wild animal park where you can camp out at night like on a safari and listen to animals in the wild....they have done extensive renovations to make it more like african experience....don't get me wrong, the zoo is great especially the panda site but it is hilly, animals are in cages and to tell you the truth a little dated...look at this san diego wildlife park website to see what i mean about the wild life park-it would be worthwhile to rent a car to just see this place...believe me you will be impressed!...

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/wap/index.html

regardless have a great time on sea and on land!!!

We had planned to spend the entire day at the zoo- so the hop on hop off trolley will probably not be what we do (we can spend a whole day in the Cincy or Columbus zoo and they are nothing compared to SD. The only zoo that took us less than 2 hours was the 12 exhibit zoo in Des Moines). This is my 3rd anniversary present, so we are spending a good long time there!

I think we are going to fly in mid afternoon on the 30th- so we might give ourselves a walking tour, the zoo on the 31st, and then we leave on the 1st- so we will have a bit of time that morning as well. Maybe we can fit some other museums and sites in on those two days, but the zoo will be an all day affair. (The wild animal park looks great, but the zoo has been my dream for so long. We are planning a safari in 5 years, so we'll see the animals then...)

Archived