All Things Mariner Of The Seas

Time to move my favorite thread back to page one with a question :)

For those who have used a wireless laptop on the Mariner since dry dock - is wifi available ship-wide now? Or, can anyone list the 6 hot spots, if that's still the case?

TIA,

Dave

Last time I heard wifi was available throughout the ship. However, I think it is very slow and expensive.

Two quick questions for you people. (1) Who is the current cruise director on the Mariner? (2) I plan to pop the question to my GF on this cruise. We will be cruising with her two teenage daughters. This is their first cruise and my second (first one was on carnival). Any ideas of when and where to pop the questions. Since I have never been on her I am not sure what the Mariner has to offer. Thank you in advance for you ideas.:o

Two quick questions for you people. (1) Who is the current cruise director on the Mariner? (2) I plan to pop the question to my GF on this cruise. We will be cruising with her two teenage daughters. This is their first cruise and my second (first one was on carnival). Any ideas of when and where to pop the questions. Since I have never been on her I am not sure what the Mariner has to offer. Thank you in advance for you ideas.:o

On bended knee at Portofino's (Italian specialty restaurant)! Your waiter can know ahead of time, and be cued to bring flowers, a small layer cake to celebrate the occasion, and even take a photo on your request.

Something to think about: I have heard of other gentleman proposing and not only presenting his fiance with a diamond, but also presenting the teen daughters with a nice, but much less expensive, ring too. This way the daughters are included and feel part of this as well -- and you score HUGE points!

Congratulations in advance! Have a wonderful cruise!

You are so thoughtful to begin your research here and obviously trying to make it a very special moment! Best to you and your new family.

Rose

We are sailing on the 01-13-08 mariner cruise and I am wondering if the Mariner has a dueling piano bar and do they have kareoke every night in any of the bars?

Karaoke is held in the Lotus Lounge on Deck 5, right above the Savoy Theater. I believe it's every evening. There is also a special area for teen karaoke, in the teen area on Deck 12, I believe.

We just stepped off Mariner, and the current cruise director is Dennis Sciortino. He was fantastic! He announced at our Meet and Mingle that he is moving to Freedom at the end of September (he didn't give an exact date) to replace Becky, who accepted a position in the Corporate Office in Miami to hire and train new CD's for Celebrity.

Dennis didn't say who will be replacing him on Mariner, but other cruise critics are reporting that it will be Drew Devine.

Future cruiser here. I have her booked for April '09. Looking forward to reading this thread! :p

:D This was such a great idea that ChristieNJ had for the Explorer that I decided to start a Mariner thread. So lets here from all you cruisers. Past cruisers, cruisers to be, present cruisers, lets here your stories, ideas, questions, comments, and share those pictures people!!! I hope everyone enjoyes!!!!:D

I was on the mariner of the seas cruise on 8/12/07 and didn't know or hear anything about a mystery dinner, what is this???????????????????

Me either, but i had to book another trip on her for next summer because I did'nt see half the ship it was so big.

The mystery dinner is a murder who done it that starts in one of the lounges with Champagne and snacks and then moves to Portofinos for dinner including wine with the meal and a murder mystery enactment. You have to solve the who done it. Lots of fun.. $49.95 per person .

Hello to all my fellow cruise critic members from 8/12/07 sailing. Hope you all had as much fun as we did. :)

Joan & Kenny

My son got engaged last year while we were on a cruise. He popped the question on the top deck of the ship overlooking St. Thomas - really romantic. That night we all went to the specialty resturant to celebrate

Does anyone who has recently sailed on the Mariner remember what movies were being played in the cinema? I know that most evenings will be full of fun and activities but one of my traveling companions is interested in the movies being shown. Any help will be appreciated!!

My flights have been change to leave Orlando at 11:30 am and the Mariner arrives port at 7:00am on Sunday the 16th, Sept. Will I be able to get off the ship and make the flight? Anyone?

That will depend on a few things that you haven't mentioned. People doing self-debarkation are usually, and I say usually, because there could be crew immigration etc. that delays the usual, are off at 6:30 or so because the ship is really in port much earlier than 7AM.

Port Canaveral is pretty strict about the self-debarkation in that you have to be able to lift, carry your suitcase. You can have only 1 suitcase per person. You can't rest it on a step going down the escalator. If for some reason the port people feel you can't do that, they will pull you out of line and make you wait for a slower than molasses elevator.

The first colors are called right after the self-debarkation so they want everyone moving. I think the handicapped go with the first color, so they need to use the elevator and the port personnel don't want it tied up with others.

Having said that, how are you getting to the airport? That could make a difference too. Transfers from the port, ie busses hired by the cruise line wait until they are filled before moving out. Private shuttles know what time to be there for you. Renting a car takes time too.

Having said all this, if you can do self-debarkation, get on a shuttle and leave, you should have plenty of time. We are one of the first colors called, off the ship about 7:30 or so and home by 9 and we live outside Orlando. We do drive our own car so there's no waiting for anything after we debark.

Don't worry and enjoy the trip. Mariner is a wonderful ship.

What a great thread! I am hoping to be on the August 3,2008 sailing, but I cannot turn my paperwork in for it until 1 month before the cruise, so I just have to hope it does not sell out before then.

Looks like a wonderful ship, cannot wait to go!

Thank you for your response. I feel alot better. We will each have 1 suitcase and use a taxi back. I am glad and relieved to know that there is a possibility. We did not use RC shuttle because we are coming a day earlier to enjoy Cocco Beach and did not purchase a Air and Cruise trip. Thanks again.

I just made a 10:55 flight for the third time. I agree, arrange your own transportation. I didnt carry my own luggage off, but I did make sure I had the color for the first off. We were a group of 11 and all our bags were there waiting. We had arranged transportation thru arts shuttle and made it to the airport with a good 45 minutes to spare, even after checking in and getting to our terminal.

I just made a 10:55 flight for the third time. I agree, arrange your own transportation. I didnt carry my own luggage off, but I did make sure I had the color for the first off. We were a group of 11 and all our bags were there waiting. We had arranged transportation thru arts shuttle and made it to the airport with a good 45 minutes to spare, even after checking in and getting to our terminal.

Do you have Art's Shuttle number? This makes me feel even better. Thank you

We had the 4th color off, went through customs, got luggage, waited a couple of minutes for Budget shuttle, went to Budget, got rental car and were still at the airport and checked in for our flight before 9:30. I wish we were on an earlier flight but will definitely book an earlier flight for our Mariner cruise for next June.

Here is a link, we had them be there at 730 am and they were right on time, its the third time i used them

Art's Shuttle

Now with all that said, I do want to warn you. That was my fifth time on the mariner and once we had to stop for a medical emergency so we didnt get off the ship until 830. We still made that 1100 flight, but I just want you to know it is possible to have a delay and you should be prepared for it. I usually fly southwest and they dont charge any penalties for switching flights, which is why I use them, this way if it does happen I am prepared. But like I said I have never had to.

Archived