Is September 12th too late!

martyap

Looking at RCCL Radiance for September 12, 2008. Have never been to Alaska and just starting to read and research. This is a 14 day cruise.

Starts in Vancouver......Inside Passage, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Hubbard Glacier, Icy Point Strait, Sitka, Inside Passage, Seattle WA, Astoria OR,San Fran CA, San Diego CA.

Any thoughts on the itinerary + your expert advice on what temps to expect this late in the Alaska cruising season would really be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Marty

Sounds fun! But! You might get more bang for your buck if you do a 7 day cruise followed by a land tour. Denali is a must see! If you leave on the 10th out of Vancouver you can do the inside passage on the Coral Princess and follow it up with a land tour to Denali. The tours are mostly on the train and are from 3 days up. The tours end in either Fairbanks or Anchorage. This is the best time to see fall colors.

Be well prepared in your attire, then it won't make a difference on what the weather is. This sounds like a very nice itinerary. :)

In Alaska, expect rain, so have rain gear, dusk by 7pm, plan port time with this in mind.

Sounds fun! But! You might get more bang for your buck if you do a 7 day cruise followed by a land tour. Denali is a must see! If you leave on the 10th out of Vancouver you can do the inside passage on the Coral Princess and follow it up with a land tour to Denali. The tours are mostly on the train and are from 3 days up. The tours end in either Fairbanks or Anchorage. This is the best time to see fall colors.

Over all this is late getting into Denali Park with the park shuttle buses not running. Tour buses only running 30 miles in in this timeframe. A northbound cruise is better very begining of Sept.

the weather can be IFFY any time, just do the layers and you will be fine. we weren't that cold, last year. (sept 17-24) the daytime temps never got below mid-40s, usually in the mid 50s. sea days were beautiful, the rain was on 2 port days. but we were ready for it, rain ponchos.

long lines in the stores, if they have started marking prices down. some lines were an, almost, an hour long. people had several baskets. shelves were getting bare by sept 19th. you will be there a week earlier, you should have less lines.

This will be our 2nd time for Sept in Alaska. The bargins are incredible!!! We were there 9/17-24/06 and we got the best prices for souvenirs:D The weather was nice, a little misty but it cleared right up. I always had my rain jacket that had a hood. We had our balcony door open every day, and I don't like the cold. I did think that Juneau was the coldest and that was still only about 42 or so in the morning. Always look for the whales, they are every where if you look!

Have a great time!

Pam

I can get a late May or early June sailing right now for $600-750 depending on the ship. Since that time frame has substantially better weather than September on average, a September cruise would have to be free to entice me.

Murray

Archived