Mis-representation AGAIN!!!

Tocruise2

At 11:18 this morning I got my edition of the Mariner in my e-mail ( it was not there are at 9:15AM)...It indicated that there were specials if I clicked the link it would show them to me...which it did. I found the cruise I wanted at 12:15PM and promptly called my travel agent to book it... Much to his surprise and mine it was sold out!!!! HERE WE GO AGAIN...... Holland America is becoming famous for making false offers and offers which they can not live up to. It seems it is happening continually with them and not with the other cruise lines...I guess in light of the continuance of this practise you really don't know what you are going to pay for the cruise until the lines are untied and you are at sea...and even then they will tack on the extras if they so chose.....As the old addage says...I think there is something rotten in Denmark!!!!!!!!!! Consumer beware!!!!!!

:( I didn't get the e-mail. ;)

When they advertise something, they don't have to have any more than one of them. Who knows how many were available for what you wanted but in two hours, they could have sold the 50 that they might have had. Who knows? There probably is no sure way to know for sure if they had 1 or 10 or 100. Sorry you missed out. Try again. Maybe you'll get luckier next time.

Under normal circumstances I would tend to agree with your thoughts; however, it seems that HAL has had repeated problems with the issue of not having what they are advertising actually available. In the business world this called "bait and switch" In Massachusetts, as you are aware, this is illegal...I can not offer something which I know is not going to be available to the people I am offerring it to and then offer them something for a higher price!!! Let's call it the way it is.....it is not a matter ofl luck but a matter of trying to out smart a devious business practice. Honestly, I value my vacation planning better than having to go through that aggrevation and would prefer to deal with a cruise line who has higher business standards.

Definition:

Advertising a product at an attractively low price to get customers into the store but not making it available, so customers must trade up to a more expensive version.

Solution:

Nobody said you have to get anything. If you don't like what's still remaining, you can save every single penny of your "valuable travel dollars associated with your travel plans" and save it for an itinerary that occurs where the special price interesting to you is still available.

And keep in mind... The special price is entry level.

So:

-Inside is the tinier configuration, not the "large" which is 20-30sqft larger

-Outside is fully-obstructed

-Verandahs are extreme foeward or aft (or on Vista class with a solid steel verandah)

You're telling me you wouldn't have complained and happily taken one of these scenarios, AND THEN if not receiving an upgrade, been completely and utterly happy and satisfied in your small configuration, extreme forward location or without a perfect view???

And for what it's worth, the email is an EXACT copy of the magazine that is sent out in "paper form" and I received that in the mail 2 weeks ago.

So when Holland America has a successful promotion, they're always "out to screw you?"

I don't believe that any more than anyone else would...

Please don't bring the Danes into this; they're good people and they certainly don't smell rotten!

If HAL places a certain Cat cabins on sale, and............they sell out, you've missed the boat, unfortunately! Now, if all the adverstised "sales" in your 11:18 e-mail are sold out (which somehow, I don't think is the case), you've missed the fleet. What you're bringing up here has nothing to do with a "bait & switch" and/or "false offers"

But, hey, there's good news in River City..................we all have the option to choose our cruise line of choice (choose of choice, gotta be something wrong here;) ). If you are of the opinion that HAL is out to get ya, maybe it's time to make that decision! Good luck to you!

You're telling me you wouldn't have complained and happily taken one of these scenarios, AND THEN if not receiving an upgrade, been completely and utterly happy and satisfied in your small configuration, extreme forward location or without a perfect view???

I certainly would...I have cruised for over 40 years and always in a minimum inside cabin. Utterly happy!

Under normal circumstances I would tend to agree with your thoughts; however, it seems that HAL has had repeated problems with the issue of not having what they are advertising actually available. In the business world this called "bait and switch" In Massachusetts, as you are aware, this is illegal...I can not offer something which I know is not going to be available to the people I am offerring it to and then offer them something for a higher price!!! Let's call it the way it is.....it is not a matter ofl luck but a matter of trying to out smart a devious business practice. Honestly, I value my vacation planning better than having to go through that aggrevation and would prefer to deal with a cruise line who has higher business standards.

This happened to me ten years ago when I recieved a flyer from Northwest Airlines advertising 10,000 miles plus $400.00 US roundtrip from the US to Hong Kong. I called asap only to find out every possible date was sold out. And, I was flexible back then and would take ANY date with a minimum of 4 nights and max two weeks (since I did have to get back to work). After hours of calling, I wrote a letter to the CEO's Admin, who promptly phoned me and worked hard to get me on a plane. In any event, I recall landing in Hong Kong (traveling by myself back then) on a Tuesday and back to the US on a Monday for $400.00. I knew someone there who showed me around.

I certainly would...I have cruised for over 40 years and always in a minimum inside cabin. Utterly happy!

I am taking a forward cabin and looking forward to writing a review and comments. There are not that many triple cabins. Is a forward that bad? Hey these ships have stabalizers.

I am taking a forward cabin and looking forward to writing a review and comments. There are not that many triple cabins. Is a forward that bad? Hey these ships have stabalizers.

I know they do. And I personally am not too concerned with my room's location on any given cruise.

But a lot of times the complaints we see on here (so I can only IMAGAINE what HAL gets) are because people expect a category C for the lead-in HH price, the most optimal balcony for an entry price, etc.

The stabilizers work wonderfully and I've never noticed the slightest movement on these ships.

You know how you just sometimes get the impression that someone feels... "entitled?" (looks to the top of this thread)

Of course, it's annoying when you get an offer you want to take advantage of and find there's none left.

Happens to me when I get a sale catalog from one of my favorite places to shop. I call immediately when I get the catalog but so many times what I want is no longer available. I pout for a minute or two and go look for something else.

I got the e-issue this morning, too.

However, it did not indicate a particular cruise. It gave links to Sept/Oct Rotterdam.... and Fall/Dec Caribbean.. as well as some Cruisetours.

Of course, it's annoying when you get an offer you want to take advantage of and find there's none left.

Happens to me when I get a sale catalog from one of my favorite places to shop. I call immediately when I get the catalog but so many times what I want is no longer available. I pout for a minute or two and go look for something else.

I wish there was a smiley that bows at your feet sail7seas! :)

If only everybody could be so enlightened and understanding that "Ship Happens" (okay, maybe not SHIP, but something close ;) )

So many times you can go one category higher for about $10 more per person so why would it matter if the lead-in is gone (and yes I understand sometimes it's much more significant)

And out of curiosity, I wonder if we're talking about a last minute sailing that was mostly full ANYWAY. Never a good idea to wait SO LONG if you want it THAT BAD.

Why do people think all promotional everything has terms and conditions and fine print that states things like "capacity controlled" "minimum category" "may be withdrawn or modified at any time"

It's because WAY too many people these days are nothing short of hypersensitive.

To meet the legal obligation they just need to prove that there were some fares available at that rate when the offer/sale was posted and that they are not trying to push you to purchase a more expensive fare on the same cruise. So proving bait and switch on this will be nearly impossible. Also the hardcopy print version of that was received by us last Monday. So its not like that offer hasnt been kicking around. Sorry for your disappointment but there are other cruises, dont let this get you down, find another one and have a great trip

Years ago we were interested in a certain cruise on the QE2 that came via the mail (no e-mail in those days). By the time we called our TA and she called Cunard, all 25 specials were gone - yes - that's right - they made it very clear that the offer was for the first 25 people who contacted them. Since we both worked at that time and didn't get home till late, we missed out on the special. So we booked something else. That's life. We couldn't sit home every day hoping for another special - we had to go to work.

At 11:18 this morning I got my edition of the Mariner in my e-mail ( it was not there are at 9:15AM)...It indicated that there were specials if I clicked the link it would show them to me...which it did. I found the cruise I wanted at 12:15PM and promptly called my travel agent to book it... Much to his surprise and mine it was sold out!!!! HERE WE GO AGAIN...... Holland America is becoming famous for making false offers and offers which they can not live up to. It seems it is happening continually with them and not with the other cruise lines...I guess in light of the continuance of this practise you really don't know what you are going to pay for the cruise until the lines are untied and you are at sea...and even then they will tack on the extras if they so chose.....As the old addage says...I think there is something rotten in Denmark!!!!!!!!!! Consumer beware!!!!!!

....these are pretty libelous statements........you know for a fact they make false statements ........and that it continually happens

.....if HAL had 10 cabins at the offered terms ......and 10 people booked........and you were the 11th caller.........it happens.......;)

Does anyone else find it slightly suspicious that the OP has a total of 4 posts... 2 on this thread, as of this writing... but purports to be aware of past problems of a supposedly similar nature?

Lack of posts does not mean that what is being said is not true. Jut because someone speaks up on occasion does not mean they are to be discounted.

I have nevr gotten my maniner magazine email. How do I sign up for it?

Its all about timing, when they have ten slots and set the time to a time zone thise in that time zone have a slight advatage. Its teh same as if they said all people who are 16.2223 years old at 12/:00:20 get free ride if they call by 12:00:22. The odds are against you.

:( I didn't get the e-mail. ;)

When they advertise something, they don't have to have any more than one of them. Who knows how many were available for what you wanted but in two hours, they could have sold the 50 that they might have had. Who knows? There probably is no sure way to know for sure if they had 1 or 10 or 100. Sorry you missed out. Try again. Maybe you'll get luckier next time.

I think we all have experienced this and hate it, but we do have to remember there are thousands of agents out there plus lots of passengers seeing the same thing. The really great deals can go within a minute or two. sail7seas, I am not addressing this to you, but to the op. YOu are completely correct. NMnita

Lack of posts does not mean that what is being said is not true. Jut because someone speaks up on occasion does not mean they are to be discounted.
By itself, no. But when a person that has only two other posts since 2000 suddenly starts shouting about misrepresentation, again! and purports to know all about how the other lines conduct their sales, and only HAL does mean and rotten things like this, etc... it certainly raises the suspicions for me.

Does anyone else find it slightly suspicious that the OP has a total of 4 posts... 2 on this thread, as of this writing... but purports to be aware of past problems of a supposedly similar nature?

How many posts does one have to make before they are above suspicion?...The OP has been a member since 2000...More than enough time to be aware of past problems...I don't believe the number of posts one has automatically makes them more credible.

What I smell, John, is something more closely aligned with the Norwegians!:rolleyes:

A Swede, a Dane and a Norwegian are shipwrecked on the proverbial desert island. A genie appears out of thin air, informing them that they can each have a wish granted. The Swede immediately says, "I want to go home to my large and comfortable bungalow with the Volvo, video and slick IKEA furniture." So he vanishes. The Dane then says, "I want to go back to my cozy little flat in Copenhagen, to sit in my soft sofa, feet on the table, next to my sexy girlfriend and with a sixpack of lagers." Off he flies. The Norwegian, after giving the problem a bit of thought, then tells the genie, "Cor, I suddenly feel so terribly lonely here, so I guess I wish for my two friends to come back."

Archived