How far from MIA airport to the MIA port?

DAP05

Another newbie question! Fascination leaves from Miami port. Is it better/easier to fly into Ft. Lauderdale or the Miami airport? And how do most get to the ships from the airport--taxi, shuttles provided by Carnival, etc...

I can't address the Miami airport portion of this, but just for information - when my DH and I cruised on Carnival out of Miami last Fall, we flew into Ft. Lauderdale and took the Carnival shuttle from the Ft. Lauderdale airport to the cruise ship. Easy, relaxing, did not have to worry about traffic, finding the right exit, etc.

The big plus was that we had an early morning arrival back in Miami on the ship, but our flight did not leave Ft. Lauderdale until afternoon. Carnival had a terrific "Art deco" tour in Miami that departed from the ship dock, gave us a really interesting look at Miami Beach architecture, time for lunch and then a ride to the Ft. Lauderdale airport. The entire tour was only $3 more per person than the shuttle directly to the airport, PLUS we did not have to sit around the airport for hours waiting for our flight!

You might want to check whether this tour is available from your ship if you are considering flying into Ft. Lauderdale.

Carole

Carole,

So there is a Carnival shuttle from FLL to the Miami port? That could be an option, since flights have now increased to Miami! How much was the shuttle service? Thanks to you all for your replies.

Another newbie question! Fascination leaves from Miami port. Is it better/easier to fly into Ft. Lauderdale or the Miami airport? And how do most get to the ships from the airport--taxi, shuttles provided by Carnival, etc...

If you Google it you will find it is: 8.7 mi (about 18 minutes)

I would fly into Miami and I cannot express to you how much I believe in arriving the day before your departure. From MIA, we take a 15-20 min. taxi ride to our hotel near the port.

With the airlines these days, if you are delayed, have a flight change or encounter imclement weather, you could feasibly miss your cruise departure regardless of how early you intend to arrive.

I NEVER fly the day of embarkation - JMHO and others may agree with me!

With that said, you must make the best decision for you and anyone else you are traveling with.

Have a wonderful cruise! :)

We did the shuttle bus from MIA to the port of Miami to go on Fascination in 2004. You add the shuttle onto your cruise. You have to go to the very bottom of MIA to where buses, cars and shuttles pick up passengers. About 12 or 1 pm you will see people standing with signs that they hold up meaning they are the shuttle for Carnival or whatever. It's a long walk. If you have loads of luggage, like we did, then have one person go look for this location while the rest of your party sits with all the luggage. That's what we did because we had to go down 4 levels and then the full length of the airport.

MIA to Port of Miami is $24 per cab (plus tip) last time I checked. This is flat rate and is posted in the taxis.

compare that to the per person cost of the line's shuttle service or the other available shuttles at the port and I believe you will find the shuttle is more expensive for a party of 2..... $14 per person (plus tip) for airport shuttle services to port according to:

http://www.miami-airport.com/html/taxi_and_shuttle_service.html

cabs are plentiful both at MIA and at the port on your return.

The cost for a cab from MIA to most points in downtown Miami, or even Coconut Grove are similar.

This does not apply to cost from FLL to Port of Miami however....in that situation a taxi is going to be $$$$

• 4 years later...
The Art Deco tour sounds really good - did you just call Carnival to find out about it? We rented a car for the day and figured we would just drive around Miami - our flight doesn't leave until 6:45 so we have a really long day.

Note that the date on the post is from 2007. Tours may not be the same now.

The Art Deco tour sounds really good - did you just call Carnival to find out about it? We rented a car for the day and figured we would just drive around Miami - our flight doesn't leave until 6:45 so we have a really long day.

You do realize you're responding to a thread that's more than 4 years old? I think the original posters have long since taken their cruise.

Archived