All day wear foundations

mirrajay

Hey Ladies - I have oily skin and always have to end up redoing my foundation after work if I am going to go out anywhere at night b/c it never seems to stay on or even worse it cakes and looks terrible!! On the cruise of course, I will be putting it on in the morning and then would have to do it again before dinner, which I really dont want to have to do.

Might anyone have any suggestions of all day wear, noncomedogenic foundation that will keep me looking fresh for longer than the normal 8 - 10 hours?

Thanks!

Carey

First you need to make sure that your moisturizer isn't too heavy or oily. Then, I use a mattifier over that to absorb any oil that might develop. Then I use Bare escentuals foundation. It is not a liqiud and it is very sheer and natural. Even doing all that, you are going to get some oil by the end of the day. You can use blotter paper thru out the day, or powder a bit more often. I hope this helps.

Missyal

I have to say that the Revlon Colorstay Foundation will stay put no matter what!! You can put in on in the morning...swim, sweat do anything and it will still be in the next morning if you do not take it off. You actually have to use a creamy cleanser to get it off. It is the best I have ever used and it is all I use in the summertime.

Hope this helps!

Teri

I have had wonderful success with Sally Hansen Fast and Flawless airbrush makeup (see my post in the "airbrush legs in a can" thread). I have really oily skin and also rosacea and this makeup takes me from 8 hours of work into the night without touchups.

Highly recommend Lancome color ID applied with a brush. Their makeup artist did mine and said he always uses a brush as it goes on flawlessly and wastes less of your expensive foundation. It also keeps it from getting under your nails-yeech! He says sponges are not good. I have combination skin and find this particular makeup looks as good at bedtime as when I put it on. Next best thing to airbrushing!

Thanks everyone - Looks like I will have to make a trip to Target to check out the Revlon and Sally Hanson products. For some reason, Lancome makes me break out very badly, but I have heard and seen make up artists apply foundation with a brush and maybe I'll give that a shot also.

Thanks again!

Carey

I have the same problem with oily skin, and I'll second the Revlon recommendation. I've been using their Colorstay "Stay Natural" foundation, and have had good luck with it. Before putting it on, I'll generally put a bit of Origins "Zero Oil" on my T-zone, and find that that helps as well.

As for blotter papers, I HIGHLY suggest the "Oil Absorbing Sheets" by Clean and Clear. They're made from a thin plastic that sucks up the oil, but doesn't take off your makeup, or add any extra powder to your skin.

Curious about applying foundation with a brush?? How does this work for a liquid foundation? doesn't the brush get clumped up and gross? What kind of brush does one use?

I use either the Revlon colorstay or a tinted moisturizer - used to use a sponge but was told that most of the foundation stays on the sponge - so switched to fingers. Have never seen liquid foundation applied w/a brush? :confused:

The mattifier I use is Porefection by Avon. Isn't it funny how we all like something so different?! No wonder cosmetics is a billion dollar industry!!

Remember, if you try something and don"t like, bring it back. Almost every place from the grocery store to the makeup counter in a fancy store will take their product back with a receipt.

Missyal

You place a small dollop of liquid foundation on the back of your hand (trial and error to discover how much you need) and with the other hand get some on your foundation brush ( a flat 1/2" to 1" brush). You brush it on your face like painting, using upwards strokes. You then use the edge of the brush to blend the foundation around your nose, under eyes, etc. Apply more if needed. Experiment until you find the right amount for you. It takes a while the first time but you'll catch on quickly. Clean your brush with a little alcohol or cleanser or whatever is at hand and let it dry until next time. You end up using such a small amount of foundation that it really doesn't get all gross. Hope this helps.

The only time I ever had foundation applied with a brush, I was getting my makeup done at the department store. The makeup "artist" must've used WAAAY too much foundation, because I walked out of there looking like I had two inches worth on my face. After that, I never bought into putting it on with a brush, and just stuck with my fingers after that.

I do put on my concealor with a brush, though. It doesn't pull on the skin around my eyes as much, and it makes it easy to blend.

I bought a brush specially made for foundation and tried it a few times. Even though I'm good with make-up, I never liked the look. The brush was $35. and I brought it back to the store. Now I use a sponge or my fingers. A friend of mine bought an airbrush gizmo and her foundation looks fantastic. Problem is, the gizmo is $400. - not in my budget!

I've never been a fan of concealer - it was either never the right color, or didn't go on well, usually cakey. I don't have bad circles under my eyes, so it was never a priority. I've now finally found the perfect concealer, it's by YSL (Yves St. Laurent) and it's called Touche Eclat. It looks like a gold pen with a small brush on one end. You click on the other end, and the concealer comes through the middle of the brush. It goes on really smoothy, isn't thick and nicely covers. It can be used under or over foundation.

My skin is dry so I don't have a problem with my foundation wearing off, but if I'm going out for the evening, I can't imagine not washing my face and putting on fresh foundation and blush after I've taken my shower. I don't bother removing my mascara - I just add a bit more to freshen it up. When most of you go on a cruise do you not apply fresh foundation for the evening as mirrajay wants to do?

Jane

Whenever I go out for a special evening (such as formal nights on this cruise), I most certainly will redo my foundation and all my make up b/c I will have another shower so that I can just start over.

I suppose the redoing of foundation is a given if you only cruise in hot/tropical climates - I sometimes showered 3 times a day when I was in Cancun just to get the salt and the stickiness from the heat off me (and re-applied foundation everytime), but for this cruise we will be going to a cool climate, and dont plan on swimming or anything so I wouldnt normally have a second shower before I go to one of the non-formal dinners or out for the evening. Is that unusual??

I'm 21, with combo skin and rosacea and used Clinique's Superfit foundation (19.50- lasts 6 months). It doesn't sweat off easily and isn't heavy (it's made for oily skin). However I stopped wearing it when I found MAC Studio Finish Powder/Pressed. It's $18.50 and provides wonderful coverage I didn't think could come from a powder. And it is easy to touch up your face if you need in the evening. Good luck!

Yes, I always start over with my makeup before going out in the evening. But I like it to still look fresh when I take it off. I prefer a sheer foundation but have to have one here in the south to protect my skin. I even wear it on the beach over sunscreen-and I always use a foundation with sunscreen in it as well.

Archived