Salzburg

amd1234

We are cruising the Danube the end of May and there is an optional tour to Salzburg and people either love it or hate it. I need feedback from cruisers who have taken this excurison. If we stay on the ship do we spend the time in Passau. Also any problem using an American Express credit card in Europe? We will be in Prague three days what is the currency? Is the ATM the easiest way or should we pay cash at restaurants etc...??? Thanks........:p

amd1234,

As for me I love Salzburg which is really a beautiful town and easy to explore on your own. I can´t say anything about the offered shore tour (Sound of Music?? which is not very popular in Germany or Austria).

Currency in Prague is Czech Korona not Euro. American Express is accepted but not widely as Mastercard or Visa (if you have a Visa or Mastercard I´d take that one with me). Most tourist attractions and restaurants do accept credit cards and shops in tourity areas too.

ATMs are usually the best way to get local currency but talk to your bank and tell them that you´re in Europe (when and where) and make sure you have a 4 digits PIN.

steamboats

amd1234 - By all means do Salzburg and if you do make sure you to up to the Castle, the view if fantastic. As steamboats said, you can walk around and do the town on your own. Passau is also nice but don't miss Salzburg. Willard

amd1234 -- would love it if you would comment on your trip when you return. We are sailing the Amalegro June 24th from Budapest to Trier, Germany. Any all comments about the boat will be much appreciated -- everything from food to accommodations. Also, your likes and dislikes regarding the included tours. Thanks and happy holidays!

We thouroughly enjoyed Salzburg and think you will too, especially if you are interested in "The Sound of Music." The trip to the church (where Maria married VonTrapp) was worth it alone. If you do decide to pass and stay aboard ship it is a lovely and scenic cruise to Passau or Linz. We were on Amadeus Waterways.

You'll have a great time, I'm sure!

I have been on this cruise twice - once during Christmas time on the Amadagio from Budapest to Prague and once from Prague to Budapest on the "Legendary Danube" on the Symphony a year earlier. I did Salzburg once and I thought it was a must - this was on the Chrismas time cruise and it was not touristy at all and the bus ride was also not bad. We started in Linz and met the ship again in Passau. We were back in Passau at about the same time the ship arrived there and had the whole late afternoon and evening to explore the city. Salzburg is a lovely city and there is free time to walk around on your own and explore after the guided tour. If you need a relaxing day stay on the ship. the cruise from Passau to Linz (or Linz to Passau) is a quiet day to read and enjoy the scenery. However if you have never been to Salzburg you have to go there and May should not be a bad time since the tourist season there does not start before mid June and you are right then it might be quite crowded.

The preferred plastic in Europe are Dinners card, Master card and Visa - American Express is less common. I guess you are staying at the Renaissance Hotel in in Prague and there is an ATM machine just accross the street of it in a little shopping mall. I found ATM machines to be the most convenient way to get local currency and I never had a problem finding one. the Amalegro is the newer sister ship of the Amadagio and I found the Amadagio absolutely perfect - crew, meals, cabins, etc. I am sure you will enjoy your trip and don't miss Salzburg !

Thanks to all for the responses to my Salzburg question. People complained that the trip was very long on the bus and rather touristy.. I just don't want to miss a thing. I loved the Sound of Music...:p

an\md1234 - Salzburg is huge historically. Study or better yet, get a good guide who will discuss it's history. Don't take the first guy they offer. Ask questions.

WIT

• 2 weeks later...

Salzburg is universally recognized as a must for better or worse.

Several river cruise lines are now offering a superb trip to Cesky Krumlov and Budweiss (yup, that Budweiss) as an excellent alternative.

If you are WW II history buff, a quick trip to the Eagle's Nest in a private limo on that cruising day (Passau-Linz or v.v.) is your best choice.

EURiver Cruiser

A trip in a private limo sounds wonderful. Do you have any idea of the cost, and are there cars waiting near the dock (like the big cruise ships) or would we have to book in advance?

We had pretty much decided to stay on the boat, rather than take a long bus ride, but I know that my husband would love to see the Eagle's Nest, and if we could arrange something that would be great.

We leave on Saturday, though, so not much time.

Thanks

Pat

• 6 months later...
Salzburg is universally recognized as a must for better or worse.

Several river cruise lines are now offering a superb trip to Cesky Krumlov and Budweiss (yup, that Budweiss) as an excellent alternative.

If you are WW II history buff, a quick trip to the Eagle's Nest in a private limo on that cruising day (Passau-Linz or v.v.) is your best choice.

EURiver Cruiser

I happened upon this while researching for our Danube Christmas Markets Cruise next week. Can EURiver Cruiser, or anyone else familiar with this subject, tell me the particulars regarding a visit to the Eagle's Nest? Where does one book the private limo...Passau or Linz? How "quick" is a "quick trip"? Cost? If you take a limo from one location, and the ship continues to sail, will the limo take you to where the ship is sailing to? My DH would LOVE this excursion!

Debra (hello again),

There are NO private limos at Passau that will take you to the Eagles Nest (unless you take a taxi or find a firm via the Internet). The journey from Linz or Passau to Berchtesgaden (Eagles Nest) will take 3 to 3.5 hours, if the weather is good then you get grand views of the Alps, if it is bad then you don't. The Eagles Nest lives more from it name in the past than what is there yet to see, there is the Tea House which is the only remain build that Hitler used, the rest got flattened or destroyed during heavy air raids. There are some tunnels and bunkers that can be visited, but not a lot of military items on display for obivous reasons. I personally have never been there and have no intention of doing so. Stick with Passau or Salzburg.

Ron

Debra (hello again),

There are NO private limos at Passau that will take you to the Eagles Nest (unless you take a taxi or find a firm via the Internet). The journey from Linz or Passau to Berchtesgaden (Eagles Nest) will take 3 to 3.5 hours, if the weather is good then you get grand views of the Alps, if it is bad then you don't. The Eagles Nest lives more from it name in the past than what is there yet to see, there is the Tea House which is the only remain build that Hitler used, the rest got flattened or destroyed during heavy air raids. There are some tunnels and bunkers that can be visited, but not a lot of military items on display for obivous reasons. I personally have never been there and have no intention of doing so. Stick with Passau or Salzburg.

Ron

Ron aka Blu*Donau:

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us an answer re: Berchtesgaden/Eagle's Nest. While we would have loved to see this area for the obvious historical reasons (we did the 60th Anniversary of D-day in Normandy), we'll decide on either Passau or Salzburg depending on the weather conditons for the day. We've been checking the weather daily: looks like you had a "heat wave" in the 50's farenheit today. We were nearly 80 today...started packing our heavy jackets in our shorts and t-shirts, while watching the Malibu fires on CNN.

Debra aka gr'aunt

Debra,

Heatwave? The forecast for the next few days - Passau

TodayTomorrowTueWedThu6-10 Day

Extended Forecastif(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['RA.gQ0LEYrY-']='&U=1396pange%2fN%3dRA.gQ0LEYrY-%2fC%3d385205.7596990.8482020.1666089%2fD%3dWTHE%2fB%3d3802593'; Rain/ SnowRain/ SnowRain/ SnowAM Fog

PM SunLight RainHigh: 37°Low: 34°High: 35°Low: 32°High: 34°Low: 28°High: 38°Low: 28°High: 38°Low: 29°

Let us know what you decide and how you liked (or disliked) the cruise.

Have a good one.

Ron

Debra,

The Eagle´s Nest (Kehlsteinhaus) is closed during winter anyway. See here

http://www.kehlsteinhaus.de/en/index.php

The other thing worth visiting connected with WWII is the new permanent exhibition on the history of Obersalzberg and the NS-Dictatorship. See here

http://www.obersalzberg.de/cms_e/content/home/index.html

Ron is right that you´re missing one of the nicest parts of the Danube river between Passau and Linz (the Wachau region). But with not so nice weather during winter time it might not be as impressing anyway.

I love Salzburg and this town is worth visiting at any time of the year (and all kind of weather). The Christmas market is really very nice (o.k., overcrowded but mainly on weekends). You won´t believe it. But once DH and I made a daytrip to Salzburg, we walked over the Christmas market and then saw the perfect Christmas tree, bought it and brought it back to Munich :D .

Check

http://www2.salzburg.info/

for information about Salzburg and look at the pictures. Here´s more info about Advent season and the Christmas markets

http://www2.salzburg.info/veranstaltungen_advent.html

Here´s the website of the Salzburg Christmas market

http://www2.salzburg.info/veranstaltungen_advent.html

Click on "Bildergalerie" (gallery) for more photos.

I´m pretty sure the decision is 50:50. But you may check the websites and see first what you might miss.

steamboats

Thanks to Blu*Donau (Ron) and Steamboats for all of the timely information. Now my head is spinning...Salzburg or Wachau Valley??? I guess whatever one we DON'T do on this trip, we'll have to come back and do another time.

Ron- our local paper here in Southern California said the weather in your area was in the 50's F. a few days back; thus my comment regarding your supposed "heat wave"! (I guess not) The high 20's to low 40's isn't exactly tropical, but I can't wait for the cold weather. My husband said he'll remind me of this statement next week when I am shivering and complaining about how cold I am!!!

Steamboats- thank you for all of the web links. I'm sure other cruisers who are reading this will find this information useful as well.

Three days and counting...tick tock tick tock.

Debra aka gr'aunt

Debra,

It´s currently snowing here in Munich :) . And on this webcam

http://webcams.kmz.de/cam-rathaus/cam-rathaus-huge-aktuell.jpg

you can see there is some snow in Passau too. The boats you can see are local excursion boats. The cruise ship landing is to the left.

Chances for snow are better in Salzburg as it´s closer to the mountains. Usually along the river it´s a bit milder and snow is melting pretty quickly at this time of the year.

steamboats

We are 10 miles north of Passau, we had about 12 inches of snow over night (we are about 600 feet highewr than Passau). Passau tends to be a bit milder but still gets snow. It's about 34F at present.

We don't have snow blowers here, so it is now back to the hand craft / made in Germany - snow shovelling.

Have a good one.

Ron

We don't have snow blowers here, so it is now back to the hand craft / made in Germany - snow shovelling.

Ron,

Fortunately I can leave that part to our "Hausmeister" (caretaker) :D .

And I think I saw some snowblowers at Hornbach or Obi (our version of Home Depot).

steamboats

Thanks to Blu*Donau (Ron) and Steamboats for all of the timely information. Now my head is spinning...Salzburg or Wachau Valley??? I guess whatever one we DON'T do on this trip' date=' we'll have to come back and do another time.

Ron- our local paper here in Southern California said the weather in your area was in the 50's F. a few days back; thus my comment regarding your supposed "heat wave"! (I guess not) The high 20's to low 40's isn't exactly tropical, but I can't wait for the cold weather. My husband said he'll remind me of this statement next week when I am shivering and complaining about how cold I am!!!

Steamboats- thank you for all of the web links. I'm sure other cruisers who are reading this will find this information useful as well.

Three days and counting...tick tock tick tock.

Debra aka gr'aunt[/quote']

Debra,

Enjoy your trip, and I can not wait to read your details of the trip. We leave in 16 days to do the Holiday Market Cruise with Vantage. I am ready for the snow, just hope I stay warm enough.

Also, Steamboat, it is wonderful seeing the web links that you do. They are super and very informative. Have helped out a great deal. Thank you!!!

Sue

Archived