hiring a driver for the day

tyson

I'm sure its here somewhere, but overlooking I guess.....

What is Gerry's fees? Is it based on pp and hour?

I know I have to contact and reserve but do I just wait until we are there to tell him where I want to go?

Thanks a bunch.....

Marsha

Gerry charges per hour not per person. I believe its $80 for a car and $160 for a van for your first 3 hours. $20 for each additional hour with the car and $25 for the van. When you contact him, you can give him an idea of what you want to do but you are certainly not locked into a specific schedule.

Tell him Darlene says HI.

We just returned from the Victory, and while the cruise itself was not what we had hoped, we did enjoy our ports - in Cozumel, we had e-mailed Gerry (Mike) to take us around. There was only going to be DW and I, but a couple we had dinner with came along as well.

Gerry was waiting for us in the turn-around across from the pier, and was on-time and ready. We also had expected the station wagon, but were met with a very nice suburban. We wanted to see the town, hit the ruins, tequila tour, lunch and back to town or beach. All-in-all, it was a great time. Gerry spoke English well, drove sane, and was very pleasant overall. Our 5 hour trip cost $120.00, so about $30.00 pp. That did not include our admission to the ruins ($8.00) and tequila tour ($10.00 + a $90.00 bottle I bought). He stopped along the way at some photo op's that we took advantage of and was very knowledgable about the entire island. We also so the part of Cozumel where the worker's lived, and it was very sobering.

The only thing about the trip that didn't sit well with us is the restaurant we went to that he recommended, and it's our own fault. They tried to charge us $80.00 for lunch (some prices were not on the menu, but we didn't ask - our fault), and when we complained the price magically dropped to $70 and we received a bottle of water each. We still thought this was very high, but paid it and left. Our dinner mates were more upset about this than we were, but again - we should have asked.

I would definitely recommend Gerry to anyone who wants a more private excursion, with a good tour guide who goes at your own pace. Our table-mates felt that the shopping recommendations he gave were great and they bought a half-dozen items at the silver shop located at the ruins.

Let me know if any specific questions.

garptsmqt ...

I am glad you had a great day with Gerry. Would you like to tell everyone which restaurant you ate at so others can be aware of the prices?

I remember our first day with him, he gave us a lesson on purchasing items in Cozumel and how to get the prices down and what is a fair price.

Hello,

I do not post much either, but I just want to say, that my goup of 6 had a tour with Gerry last October. The day was wonderful. Gerry met us right where he said he would be and we had a fantastic day of touring. Gerry was polite, a perfect gentleman, and very very nice. We were a goup of 6 ladies that work together and everyone had a great time. I do not know what happened to the "other" group, but it really could not have been the authentic Gerry.

We just returned from the Glory last week and had arranged through Tom to have Gerry take us around. What a nice man. Everything went exactly as we were told it would. He did exactly what we wanted to do and patiently waited whenever we asked him to stop. Even when we went to a beach for a time, we didn't know how long we wanted to stop. He said stay as long as you want, I'll be waiting for you whenever you want to return to the ship. I would recommend his tour and it's nice to see the "other" side of the island.

Have fun.

Hi,

Just got back from first cruise on Navigator of the Seas. Cozumel was wonderful. Gerry was awesome. While everyone had to fight the crowds to get a taxi... He was right there, on time, sign in hand, and whisked us away.

We told him about ourselves and what we were interested in (not drinkers, didn't want to swim, just wanted to see the island sights and some non-tourist stuff). Gerry immediately suggested an itinerary. My wife and I both felt totally comfortable with Gerry. He didn't try to push anything on us. He made suggestions and we either said "yes or no" and that was it.

We felt so comfortable with him that I brought up the negative comment that was posted. Gerry was such a gentleman that he didn't speak badly about that person. He just apologized and said that that person must have had a bad day. He went on to comment that his livelihood is tourism and he depends greatly on maintaining a good reputation.

I whole-heartedly recommend Gerry for anyone visiting Cozumel.

Our day: drove thru the city, saw sights, schools, etc. Went to some non touristy neighborhoods. Toured some nice old churches. Went to what Gerry called the Mexican Walmart. (very nice, well stocked, prices not that high at all). Visited a local food market, and bought vanilla, hot sauce, etc.

Bought some silver (very good prices) at the ruins. Did not tour ruins. Drove to the east side. Mezcalitos, Coconuts, Mirador, etc. Had lunch and Playa Bonita (I think that was the place) Good food, ocean side, great service, ok price.

Drove back to the port. Spent about 4.5 hours on this tour. Really enjoyed myself. Felt safe and protected with Gerry. It really was like having a friend/family member show us around.

Reading over this post, it sounds like I am exagerrating about Gerry. But I am not. The experience with him truly was perfect. Thanks to everyone on these boards who recommended him.

We arehgoing to be in Cozumel at the end of April.We will be a group of 6.Can Gerry's suburban hold 6 people comfortably?Does he require any deposit to reserve him?Would probably leave it up to him to show us the best of Cozumel.I guess I should email him and see if he is available.I read someplace that he would have to rent a van for more than 4 people but was wondering if his suv would hold 6.I guess I should email him and ask that question.

Honest125, for those of us who have spent time with Gerry we can certainly understand where you are coming from with your review. He is such a gentleman and knows his island. Your day sounds perfect and I will jot down what you did because I have not been to many of the more local places, only the touristy ones.

dianef, your first step is going to be to contact Gerry and see if he is available and when you do your questions will be answered. He will do what you want but would be glad to give you ideas. As for the mode of transportation, I had a car the first time and a van the second time.

Darlene

I emailed Gerry and got a reply,via Mike.Unfortunately Gerrys station wagon can only hold 4 people,and we are 6.He quoted me $180 for a van plus $35 an hour after that.That is more than we wanted to pay so I guess we will have to hire a driver at the pier that already has a van.This is our last port of our 2-week,b-t-b cruise on the Valor.I guess we will just see how we feel when we get off the ship.WHo knows,maybe we will be all toured or beached out by then.I will email him back so he can go ahead and book someone else.

I emailed Gerry and got a reply,via Mike.Unfortunately Gerrys station wagon can only hold 4 people,and we are 6.He quoted me $180 for a van plus $35 an hour after that.That is more than we wanted to pay so I guess we will have to hire a driver at the pier that already has a van.This is our last port of our 2-week,b-t-b cruise on the Valor.I guess we will just see how we feel when we get off the ship.WHo knows,maybe we will be all toured or beached out by then.I will email him back so he can go ahead and book someone else.

Not sure a driver at the pier is going to be all that much less. You might save $15-$20 or so, and chances of getting someone that speaks good english wont be easy.

Are you active on your ships rollcall? Maybe you could get another couple of people to join you and then share the cost on the van. It would be a shame to visit Cozumel and not get to see the island. The east side is worth the trip and hiring a driver at the port wont save you much money and some of them are wild drivers.:eek:

Darlene

Before you give up, I'd reply asking about the Suburban. Maybe offer him $20.00 more upfront or negotiate (that would help with the gas). There was definitely room for 6 in that vehicle.

I think the trouble with the van or suburban is the fact that Gerry has to borrow or rent the car from another taxi driver. He only has a car at his disposal. Thats why the rates are so much higher for another vehicle. Until he can afford his own van, he is at someone elses mercy.

Darlene

We have a small family group going to Cozumel in Aug 2008. My sis has tried to hire Gerry, but it appears he is booked that day (with someone else from our cruise - can you believe it! :( ) Two of us are plus size gals - and 2 or 3 normal sized companions. I am physically challenged, and will probably bring either a wheel chair or crutches to get around at the stops. What other drivers/guides can you recommend? :confused:

We have learned that Gerry is not available, but Mike sent me an email saying that Gerry's co..??? (I don't remember co-what) named Lazaro was. Mike said that he had heard great reviews about him as well, but a search on the board only listed an unanswered question of someone else asking about Lazaro. So, does anyone have the scoop on Lazaro? I would like to hear from some of you before I book my family with him. Thanks.

First I want to thank all of you who posted about Gerry. We had a terrific day with him last Wednesday. We had 2 families, 8 people total, and Gerry took us around in a Suburban.

Gerry took us to the market for ice, beer, water, snacks, etc, the north west side, San Gervasio, the east side including lunch at Playa Bonita, Paradise beach, then back to the ship. We had Gerry with us for the whole day. We had a terrific time.

Gerry is a gentleman, and his English is very good. He also is as much a guide as a driver. He gave us tips on where to buy things (when the guys wanted cigars, he took us to a shop further back in Coz), helped us order lunch and recommended food, and got us back to the port in plenty of time. Then when we arrived, he made sure we got into the correct line for our tender (thus saving us a long wait in line).

He is well worth the money. Good luck!

At the pier in Cozumel when you get off the ship you will find tours run by a Cozumel tour company. Usually I would be cautious of this but we gave it a try. It was inexpensive and they took us in an air conditioned large van and drive us around every part of the island. We stopped at a beach for photos, and he took us to a working Mayan village where we could do some shopping and see some ruins and had photo opportunities. They showed us the "rich" sections and the poor sections of the island as well as the airport. The tour lasted about 3 hours tops and gave us a great chance to see things we couldnt walk to on our own.

Has anyone done this lately? If so, who did you use? We've been to Cozumel many times but have never really seen the island, so this time (July 3) I'd like to hire someone to take us around. I know you can rent a car, but I'm not too keen on me or my husband doing the driving. I've read about Gaby, a driver you can hire for $95 for four hours, but it's been awhile since anyone has posted about using him. There will be three of us--myself, my husband, and 20-year-old son. We will be there from 8:00 to 5:00 with only one other ship in port. Any help would be appreciated!

I just received this reply not five minutes ago so here are the prices.

Because of the popularity and demand for this particular tour we suggest

that you book well in advance to secure your personal guide and van.

4 HOURS SERVICE 1 TO 4 PAX 6 HOURS SERVICE 1 TO 4 PAX

PRICE $ 220.ºº USD PRICE $ 290.ºº USD

Deposit $ 66.ºº USD Deposit $ 87.ºº USD

Balance $ 154.ºº USD Balance $ 203.ºº USD

4 HOURS SERVICE 5 TO 8 PAX 6 HOURS SERVICE 5 TO 8 PAX

PRICE $ 290.ºº USD PRICE $ 360.ºº USD

Deposit due $ 87.ºº USD Deposit due $ 108.ºº

USD

Balance $ 203.ºº USD Balance $ 252.ºº USD

4 HOURS SERVICE 9 TO 14 PAX 6 HOURS SERVICE 9 TO 14 PAX

PRICE $ 360.ºº USD PRICE $ 435.ºº USD

Deposit due $ 108.ºº USD Deposit due $130.50 USD

Balance $ 252.ºº USD Balance $ 304.50 USD

PRIVATE SERVICE ALL DAY LONG UNTILL 7:00 P.M.

1 TO 14 PAX

PRICE $ 500.ºº USD

Deposit Due $ 150.ºº USD

Balance $ 350.ºº USD

Here is the link to this company

cozumelcruiseexcursions.com

Hope that helps