Aft or Hump Fos?

Hi there,

Do you recommend the aft cabins on Freedom specifically 8410? We had a hump cabin previously and loved the location and view but an aft was available so with all the rave reviews on here I took it.

Thoughts? What truly makesan aft great? Is it worth the treck to the stern?

Thank you!

I would go with the hump. I have never stayed in either, but we have had friends in an aft cabin and we went in a hump while all of the cabins were open on embarkation day and I really liked the hump and I didn't like the aft at all. It looked like a construction zone with all of the metal bars and everything.

I'm going to try and get a hump for Mariner next year, hope I can!

I would go with the hump. I have never stayed in either, but we have had friends in an aft cabin and we went in a hump while all of the cabins were open on embarkation day and I really liked the hump and I didn't like the aft at all. It looked like a construction zone with all of the metal bars and everything.

I'm going to try and get a hump for Mariner next year, hope I can!

We had a hump stateroom for the first time on our recent Navigator transatlantic. We experienced firsthand how important the location of those rooms are on such a large ship. It worked out perfect. We booked a middle hump for the Independence transatlantic in November 2008. Now on a Vision or Radiance class ship I would take an aft balcony in a heartbeat. :)

I just got back today from Freedom and was in aft cabin 9706. This was my first cruise so I don't have anything to compare to, but I thought our cabin was great! The balcony was large enough that we had 2 chairs, 2 loungers, and a table. We ate breakfast on our balcony every morning which was wonderful, and it was a great place to get away from the crowds and lay out. The back structure really didn't bother me. It's not like you totally can't see anything. The view is great getting to see everything that you pass by, not just one side. I actually enjoyed having to the walk back to the cabin because I seemed to over eat way too much and that helped us get that extra exercise. Another issue that I was worried about was soot, but we never had a problem. I always just checked the chair before sitting. There were a few drops on the ground here and there, but that's it. Personally, I would sit with the aft!

I personally would prefer a hump stateroom on the Freedom or Voyager class ships. Location is the key. Aft staterooms are far from everything.

This is a true statement however, peace and quiet prevail on the aft cabins and balconies.

I just got back today from Freedom and was in aft cabin 9706. This was my first cruise so I don't have anything to compare to, but I thought our cabin was great! The balcony was large enough that we had 2 chairs, 2 loungers, and a table. We ate breakfast on our balcony every morning which was wonderful, and it was a great place to get away from the crowds and lay out. The back structure really didn't bother me. It's not like you totally can't see anything. The view is great getting to see everything that you pass by, not just one side. I actually enjoyed having to the walk back to the cabin because I seemed to over eat way too much and that helped us get that extra exercise. Another issue that I was worried about was soot, but we never had a problem. I always just checked the chair before sitting. There were a few drops on the ground here and there, but that's it. Personally, I would sit with the aft!

hi kel3120,

Do you happen to have any stateroom and balcony photos that you wouldn't mind sharing? I'm booked in 9706 in August and have been curious about it. My email is wmurray219 at gmail dot com

Thanks!

Will

hi kel3120,

Do you happen to have any stateroom and balcony photos that you wouldn't mind sharing? I'm booked in 9706 in August and have been curious about it. My email is wmurray219 at gmail dot com

Thanks!

Will

I too would love to see photos of cabin 9706. I have it booked on Liberty of the Seas for 2009. It appears to be a connecting cabin on Freedom but on Liberty's deckplans it is not shown as a connecting cabin. I am very familiar with the aft cabins on deck 10 but have never moved down to deck 9. But we wanted to be next to our friends who will be in 9704. Did you feel like you had any privacy on your balcony? Also, is there some shade available most of the time?

Hi Bonnie: I have a question about Freedom Class AFT balconies.

Do you have any pictures of 1706 or 1406, JS - Deck 10? I'm looking for any info on those cabins. Thanks for all your info on CC. Can't tell you how many times I have referred to your photos!

Hi Bonnie: I have a question about Freedom Class AFT balconies.

Do you have any pictures of 1706 or 1406, JS - Deck 10? I'm looking for any info on those cabins. Thanks for all your info on CC. Can't tell you how many times I have referred to your photos!

I just got back last week from sailing on Freedom. I was in 1700 and our friends were in 1402. These two cabins/balconies were pretty much identical to their corresponding cabins on any Voyager-class ship. The only difference I noted was the Windjammer's overhang was longer than on Voyager-class ships thus making these deck 10 aft balconies shadier than on Voyager-class ships. We like shade though, so that was a plus in our books! We did still get sun though, just not as much. In our cabin (1700) we had an extra support beam on the balcony that was not on our balcony of cabin 1688 on Voyager-class ships. This support beam in no way diminished our wonderful cruise experience. We just sat the furniture in a configuration to best avoid the beam. I don't think 1706 or 1406 have any issues with support beams on their balconies though, only 1400 and 1700. Do you have any specific questions? I may not know the answer but I will try!

I too would love to see photos of cabin 9706. I have it booked on Liberty of the Seas for 2009. It appears to be a connecting cabin on Freedom but on Liberty's deckplans it is not shown as a connecting cabin. I am very familiar with the aft cabins on deck 10 but have never moved down to deck 9. But we wanted to be next to our friends who will be in 9704. Did you feel like you had any privacy on your balcony? Also, is there some shade available most of the time?

Here are my photos:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558875908kouHQo

This was a connecting cabin. We definately felt like we had privacy on the balcony. The only time I noticed anyone was from the suite down on deck 7. They liked to hang out and stand by the railing, so we could see a few of them quite a bit (they were never looking at us though). Otherwise it's only the people behind you, which we only heard-didn't see. They sat far enough back and weren't out too much anyway. The other 10th balconies were far enough away and blocked by the structure so I never thought they could even see us.

There was usually about half shade and sun. It was great having the option since I like the sun but would sometimes get too hot.

You gave me the peace of mind I needed! I have been spoiled by always having my deck 10 aft/corner cabin and I was very hesistant to move down to deck 9, but other than having a smaller cabin it all looks great! We don't spend much time in our cabin anyway....but we spend loads of time on the balcony and 9706 looks terrific. Thanks for the photos.

You gave me the peace of mind I needed! I have been spoiled by always having my deck 10 aft/corner cabin and I was very hesistant to move down to deck 9, but other than having a smaller cabin it all looks great! We don't spend much time in our cabin anyway....but we spend loads of time on the balcony and 9706 looks terrific. Thanks for the photos.

Bonnie,

How much larger would you say the cabins are on Deck 10? I've been checking every day on the off chance that something better comes available, but for now, I'm sticking with 9706. My parents were on Explorer in December and it looks to be nearly identical to their cabin.

Have a great one!

Will

Bonnie,

How much larger would you say the cabins are on Deck 10? I've been checking every day on the off chance that something better comes available, but for now, I'm sticking with 9706. My parents were on Explorer in December and it looks to be nearly identical to their cabin.

Have a great one!

Will

Well, the corner cabins on deck 10 are MUCH larger than 9706. They are about the same size as a Junior Suite. The other category D1's on Deck 10 aft are about 4 feet longer than 9706 but the same width. I could have had my favorite D1 cabin on Liberty (1700) and it is still available, but our friends are in cabin 9704 and their kids are in an inside right across the hall from them and they can't afford to move up to deck 10 and I would rather be near them than have the larger cabin, so I moved down to 9706 and put my kids across the hall in an inside as well. Now that I've seen the photos of 9706 I'm very excited about the move. Our friends were delighted that we moved next to them too. This is their first balcony. We all just sailed on Freedom and we were in 1700 and our friends were across the hall in an inside. We all shared our balcony in 1700. Next time they will have their own balcony (which is smaller than ours as they are in the corner, pie-shaped balcony) but we can still all get together on our big balcony when we want to! If you are not terribly concerned about cabin size, I wouldn't worry about moving up to deck 10 unless you were able to get 1400 or 1700 corner cabins.

On Voyager class you cannot compare the balconies on deck 7, corner aft...they are so, so private as compared to those above them...still plenty of sunshine too..

I have a JS on the aft deck 7 in September and can't wait to compare it!

The balcony that is...I already know the cabin will be heavenly!

We had cabin 1700 deck 10 corner aft on Freedom of the Seas loved it so much we got that cabin for our next cruise on liberty of the seas. Its a D1 balcony that is extra wide... there are support beams on in the cabin close to the edge of the end of the bed. never bumped into it in the middle of the night. :) the support beams on the balcony seemed fine to us.. very quiet cabin...

Archived