Advice for a poor swimmer?

hurley7

I didn't learn to swim until I was adult and still tend to get nervous in the water. We're going on a cruise for our 25th wedding anniversay and I really want to be able to snorkel with my husband. He loves it and I always ruin it for him by not wanting to go very far out, or getting a bit panicky in the water. He is very patient, but I'd really like to be more successful this time around.

Here are my issues/questions: (I would welcome ANY advice!) Please don't laugh at these questions - I'm really trying to overcome and become a successful snorkeler! :-)

Is it possible to snorkel without the flippers? When I'm trying to gain my confidence in shallow water, it makes me kind of nervous to not be able to get my feet back under me and stand up easily.

I always feel really nervous about getting water in the tube. Do you think it would be possible to just use a mask and just come up for air? I think it would feel more like I was just swimming rather than trying to keep my head in the perfect position for the snorkel tube?

Is it possible to snorkel with a lifejacket on? I know that you wouldn't be able to dive down, but I could swim along the surface.

Any other suggestions???

Is it possible to snorkel without the flippers? Yes, of course.

Do you think it would be possible to just use a mask and just come up for air? That is a lot more work then you might think. If you can, try to get use to the snorkel.

Is it possible to snorkel with a lifejacket on? Yes it is. In fact, RCI swim with dolphins requires exactly that.

I know that you wouldn't be able to dive down, but I could swim along the surface. That is the first step in learning to relax...the ability to swim alone the surface and see below. All you have to do is relax and think about your breathing. If you are rising you can inhale. If you are falling a little as you swin you may be going below the water with the top of your tube. That's when you hold your breath a few seconds and then blow out any water that you collect in the tube. It you think about your breathing and not worry about swimming you will become a top notch snorleler - not to mention how much pleasure you will give your DH by just being there with him.

More power to you! Great attitude! Just know that you can do it and you don't need to be a strong swimmer to enjoy the water. :)

Any other suggestions???

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm going to try and practice using the snorkel tube in a friend's pool and hopefully I'll get more comfortable with it before we go.

I see that you're a fellow Oklahoman - I'm in Edmond!

One of the best ways to learn to snorkel is wear the mask ,snorkel and fins and hang on to a mattress. Just extend your arms out and just keep your head in the water and just kick lighty with your feet. Everything will come quite fast to you

Did this with our daughter when she was 3 1/2 with in two days she was out on her own and at 5 was out scuba diving.

Of course living in Hawaii at the time helped a little:D

Good luck and get out there the view is outstanding DO NOT miss it

Paul

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm going to try and practice using the snorkel tube in a friend's pool and hopefully I'll get more comfortable with it before we go.

I see that you're a fellow Oklahoman - I'm in Edmond!

We actually live just outside of Quartz Mtn State Park so our address is Lone Wolf and phone number is Blair. :)

I didn't learn to swim until I was adult and still tend to get nervous in the water. We're going on a cruise for our 25th wedding anniversay and I really want to be able to snorkel with my husband. He loves it and I always ruin it for him by not wanting to go very far out, or getting a bit panicky in the water. He is very patient, but I'd really like to be more successful this time around.

Here are my issues/questions: (I would welcome ANY advice!) Please don't laugh at these questions - I'm really trying to overcome and become a successful snorkeler! :-)

Is it possible to snorkel without the flippers? When I'm trying to gain my confidence in shallow water, it makes me kind of nervous to not be able to get my feet back under me and stand up easily.

I always feel really nervous about getting water in the tube. Do you think it would be possible to just use a mask and just come up for air? I think it would feel more like I was just swimming rather than trying to keep my head in the perfect position for the snorkel tube?

Is it possible to snorkel with a lifejacket on? I know that you wouldn't be able to dive down, but I could swim along the surface.

Any other suggestions???

Your questions are actually very good - I'm also a poor swimmer.

I have what is called a dry tube (bought at Costco) When water goes above it - the valve locks up until I blow it a little. I also bought a "snorkeling vest" about 40.00, its great this way I don't worry when I get tired. I'm still trying to not get water in my mask but some days are better than others.

You are very lucky to have a good snorkeling buddy, my husband counts on me to save him - oh what a pair :rolleyes:

All these suggestions are great... Especially the ones about using a life vest while snorkeling since you are uncomfortable in the water.... But another suggestion too. I also was uncomfortable in the water in the ocean. Great in the pool but not a good swimmer. Had a friend work with me for snorkeling and did so in the ocean with an ex-boyfriend. He was a great swimmer/diver and I felt very comfortable.

But guess what the snorkeling did for me????

Made me want more.... Yes, you guessed it, I wanted to dive. So I went home, took some swimming lessons to feel more comfortable and pass the swim test. For the swim test you must float/tread water for 10 min and then swim 200 yards, any stroke. Doesn't matter how you look but they want to know you won't panic on the swim. I'm not saying you should become a diver but swim lessons are invalueable and you'll feel much more comfortable.... good luck.......

Some good suggestions listed .... purchase a dry snorkel (there are a variety of them out there) and use a snorkel vest. The fins can help greatly with the swimming, but if they make you uncomfortable, start without them .... comfort is the name of the game ... the more comfortable you get, the more you'll enjoy the experience!

I'm kind of like cruzegirl .... started out snorkeling, and found I enjoyed it so much I decided to give scuba diving a try .... survived the swim test (which had me a bit nervous!) and now have 216 dives under my belt!!

Second on the dry snorkel. The good ones are a bit pricey- more than $100! If money is no object go ahead and get one, Otherwise, the cheaper ones will get you by until you gain some confidence.

Try using shorter fins- like children's fins. You should be able to stand easier and still get some benefit.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice. I'm definitely going to purchase a good snorkel and vest. My cruise stops in Aruba, Curacao, St. Martin, and St. Thomas/St. John. We've never been to Aruba or Curacao. Do any of you know of good places to snorkel, particularly in Curacao, where the waters are usually calm, i.e. a protected cove, etc.?

Only a very strong swimmer should snorkel without fins. If you are not, then don't even think about doing shore snorkeling without fins. It's a safety issue.

Fins will give you extra power, therefore protection, and extra bouyancy. Trying to swim back to the beach without fins is a lot of work, and if you aren't a good swimmer, you'll probably panic. If you have fins to give you extra speed, being in deeper water isn't as scary.

I'm an avid snorkeler, like the sport enough to go all over the world in search of best snorkeling, and I wouldn't dream of snorkeling without my fins.

Practice using fins in a swimming pool. You don't need to kick hard. That's the mistake most beginners make. Just move your legs up and down very very gently. That's all you need to do to stay float. Kicking hard with fins is tiring and scare the fish away, too. When you want to go faster, just move your legs faster. By the way when you have fins on, don't try to walk forward like we normally do. You'll trip. Shuffle back into water.

I was thinking if you have a good scuba shop near you it might be worth taking a "Discover Scuba" type class (usually about $25) but have them work with you on your snorkeling skills instead of scuba. I bet a good scuba instructor could help you clear your snorkel and float well. I also agree with the suggestions to get a dry snorkel and a vest.

We've taught many people how to snorkel. My main advice is relax. Most people try to take quick shallow breaths. When you put your face in the water - you need to listen to yourself breathe. You should sound like Darth Vador! - slow, relaxed, deep breaths. Just allow yourself to float - you'll float-even without a life jacket. I'd recommend floating on a "noodle" if you feel you need something. I think a bulky life jacket riding up around your neck compounded with the snorkel and mask is too much-especially if you're claustophobic or have water anxiety. Definately wear fins - they allow you to relax and just barely kick and float along the surface with ease.

Wow - lots of good advice here. I would add a couple of things. One, I try to take my fins off and on when the water is about chest high. I agree about the standing up trouble and when the water is chest high you can just walk up the beach from there. Hopefully you will have the fins that go with the shoes. The shoes keep you from worrying that your feet will get hurt on sharp coral.

The other thing is to really search for an easy way into the water. My snorkeling has mostly been in Cozumel while staying at a hotel [DH is not a cruiser so we haven't done anything but Alaska in 2005]. When we took DD to snorkel in GC she had A LOT of trouble getting in the water. The waves were too much and the beach was not sandy and easy to get into. DH and DS were just fine as they scuba and we were next door to the dive dock for a week. SO, next trip we stayed at the El Presidente. It was pricey, but DD was able to walk into the water and enjoy a bit of snorkeling.

So, when you are looking for where to snorkel, I would suggest you pay attention to how you get in and out of the water. Pictures of the beach are helpful that way too. If you go on a boat, that can be easier if they let you climb down a ladder and then you can put on the fins. And I will admit to NEVER diving down - too freaky for me. So the life vest sounds great.

Janice

A lot of good advise already.

Yes, with fins, walk backward not forward.

I'm not a good swimmer either. When I tried the scuba lesson, the hardest thing to do was the swim test and I barely made it. Then I got my wife to try snorkeling. She is not a swimmer and very afraid of the water.

Well, in the cruise trip to Hawaii, I arranged snorkel trips. In one shop, they have 3mm full wetsuits for everybody. That really helped with buoyancy. Then a the next shop, in addition to 3mm full wetsuit, they had noodles. With that combination (wetsuit and noodles), my wife felt very comfortable in the ocean. She said holding onto a (half) noodle in front of the head, or tug under arms if tired from holding, just gives her the peace of mind that she won't sink. That "won't sink" feeling was so important and after that she would be able to either just float or swim a bit, easily.

Oh, a good dry snorkel won't cost $100. Good ones can be bought for $30-40, and often cheaper. Many on-line shops have them, and some people bought them on ebay for $20 or less. I've also bought a 3mm full wetsuit (in addition to vest and noodle) for my wife, in addition to the snorkel/mask/fins. She used them well in our last trip.

Of course with all the gears you have, a few pool practices before the trip will add to your comfort feeling.

I'm also a poor swimmer but really want to be able to snorkel. I tried at St. Johns a few months ago but got panicky at the thought of not being able to put my feet down.

I had a vest, it was fine, and I was okay with the breathing apparatus (I thought it was kind of neat for me to sound like Darth Vader!) ... but I didn't wear fins. I have very bad knees and the instructor said I'd be better off without them.

I had no problem swimming back & forth parallel to shore in about 4 feet of water - could keep on going for quite a while, but as soon as I tried going a little deeper I was so worried about not being able to put my feet down that I couldn't continue.

I've been practicing in my local pool and I know that I can stay on top of the water but I still get nervous! ... does anyone have any advice to help me with the mental part?? so that I don't think about putting my feet down? and what about the fins? Am I better off wearing them in spite of bad knees?? They didn't have noodles at the beach in St. John's - are there any that do?

Hi Lady Chew,

I sure understand what you're saying. There's definitely something that sets off a panicky feeling in me when I know that I can't just stop floating and stand up. I'm like you. I know that I will float, but sometimes I just can't convince myself that there is not a problem.

I'm really excited about the "noodle" idea that a few people have mentioned. I actually thinking of taking a couple with me. I'm hoping that they kind of bend over and fit in a suitcase. Then I may just deal with carrying them to wherever we are snorkeling. I really don't think that any of the beaches will have them.

I have snorkeled alot in my life. And in many places. I rarely use fins. I don't like them. I only use them if we are snorkeling from a boat. So I say if you don't want to don't.

Life vest I hate using them also but sometimes you are made to wear them. I prefer the inflatable ones or the banana clip thing thats goes around your waist.

My husband is a poor swimmer also. He has only snorkeled 5 times and those have been in the last two years. He freaks out if water gets in the mask, tube, or if a fish comes to close to him. So to keep the water out of the mask I help him to make sure that all the hair is out of his mask. One hair will let water in. Water in snorkel. He cant blow the water out(because he is scared) he turns over and floats on his back and clears the water out. And as the fish(incase any of you worry about that) He has found that they have never bothered him so now he doesn't worry as much.

Swim classes are the best way to go if you have time.

Good luck hope you don't become addicted to snorkeling like the rest of us. :)

hurley 7,

I really like the noodle idea too. They're really lightweight (styrofoam?) but really long. They're flexible but I don't know if a six=foot length would bend into a suitcase. Maybe if we cut it down a little ... I've never really looked at them so don't know if they sell shorter ones. They probably do, for little kids. (sometimes I feel like a little kid myself!)

in the meantime, I'm going to keep practicing. We're not snorkeling on our next cruise (eastern Med) but I want to be ready the next time we're in the Caribbean!!

Lady Chew - they make shorter noodles. You don't bend knees using fins. You keep your knees absolutely straight and just move your legs up and down ever so slightly, I suppose from your hip. Bending knees is a common mistake most people make. It's not only inefficient and use extra energy but adds strain to the knees. You can get smaller fins that swimmers use for training. They might do. You might ask your physical theapyst.

If you are on a snorkeling excursion booked through your ship its almost certain that you will be issued and have to wear an inflatable vest. If you plan to snorkel on your own you might want to consider buying your own inflatable vest. To good thing about these vests is that you can partially inflate them to help you float.

I know that people who are not comfortable in the water don't really believe it, but almost all human beings float and actually have to work at completely submersing themselves. Along with others, I'd advise that you work on relaxation when in the water. If you have a big enough bathtub or access to a pool, these are good places to work on this.

You may want to consider buying your own mask and snorkel. Most dive shops sell good quality mask & snorkel sets for snorkelers. Buying a mask insures that you always have one that fits you well which means that you won't have issues with water seepage because of a poor fit. Go to a dive shop, the staff at a good one will be more than happy to help you choose the right equipment, and it shouldn't be terribly expensive - I would expect to spend less than $100 US. Having your own also means that you will have to opportunity to try things out at a local pool, or even in your bathtub.

As other posters have pointed out, using fins is a much a safety issue as anything else.

PADI actually offers a snorkeling course and a good instructor should be able to help you a lot. They can also help you find reasonably priced equipment that is suitable for your needs and make sure it fits you properly. Nothing will spoil your enjoyment (or increase your nervousness) more than a leaking mask. If you can try to get used to them, fins will also greatly increase your comfort level in the water. You can learn - quite easily - to put yourself into an upright position very quickly while wearing them. Fins make it easier, not harder, to swim. Once you get used to them, you will never want to enter the water without them again. Like the other posters said, a high quality, "dry" snorkel is important as well. There are lots of different brands on the market. I'm partial to U.S. divers myself, but here's a website where you can see some other ones:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Snorkels.asp

Good luck and Happy Snorkeling!

I have been snorkelling for 40 years now but I certainly remember the panicky feeling I had when I first went snorkelling off a boat in the FL Keys and I realized you could not stand up.

A few tips:

1. Get some small, light-weight, simple fins. I tried to use expensive "Jet Fins" for years and because I am small and not terribly strong, they weighed me down & exhausted me. I went into a discount store & bought some cheapo fins and I love them - wouldn't use anything else. They make swimming almost effortless. I wouldn't go without fins unless you are snorkelling close to shore. As far as getting them on when I am entering from the beach, I always go out into about 2 feet of water before I put them on, it's easier. Or just walk backwards. Coming in, I always take them off in the water, especially if there's some wave action.

2. If you are uncomfortable & feel panicked, use an air mattress or kids' inner tube (as others have suggested) from a discount store -easy to carry with you on the cruise deflated - and just float on the surface. That's how I started when I was a kid, and it is very important to feel comfortable and safe. I have taken lots of newbies snorkelling and have found that having a raft or tube for them gets them to calm down & enjoy it. And floating at the top is best anyway if you are near a coral reef.

3. It's best to have your own gear. Then there's no messing with the mask straps, trying to get the right fit etc. Everything is ready to go. Get a tube that fits your mouth - again I had problems years ago when everything seemed to be made for mens' big mouths! I got kids' snorkels and they were fine for me.

4. If you can, use your gear in a pool until you get comfortable.

Enjoy!

Archived