HELP!! Beach Snorkeling in Georgetown

We booked a last minute cruise on the Mariner for May 6th. We are traveling with my kids 7 and 9. Neither one are great swimmers. Would love to take the kids snorkeling for the first time.

Is there a beach that has decent snorkeling from the beach? Would love a beach that rents snorkeling equipment.

Thought about doing an excursion but all of them go to stingray city. The kids are scared of the stingrays, loved the Crocodile Hunter and heard what happened to him. I would love to introduce them to some really good snorkeling but something they can ease into.

If anyone can recommend a beach:

- that we can take a taxi to.

- we can rent snorkel equipment.\

- has decent snorkeling with fish, coral, maybe a shipwreck.

- has facilities such as drinks, food, chairs, ect...

I would love you forever!! I am not a last minute cruiser and I am in a bit of a panic trying to plan last minute excursions!

7 mile beach is an easy cab ride from the pier. I don't know how good the snorkeling is, but the waters are fairly calm and incredibly clear! If your kids aren't swimmers, how are they going to snorkel? Swimming is part of the deal!

Check the port of call boards, or go to the Grand Cayman web site! There may be some private snorkel tours available for you.

Eden Rock is a good place to snorkel. And, it is within walking distance of the pier. When you get off the ship, just take a right and walk down the road until you come to Eden Rock/Paradise Restaurant. They have rental equipment there and there is a little strip of sand with chairs. The snorkeling here is great! You will see a bunch of fish as soon as you get in the water. However, the entrance is down some rocky steps, so make sure you have water shoes, and depending on your kids' ages, it might be a little tough for them. 7 mile beach is a very sandy, nice beach, but not good for snorkeling. The good snorkeling spots are not going to be the sandy beaches. Do a search on the Grand Cayman board for Eden Rock and you will get a lot more info.

My family did Eden Rock and it was amazing..... but if your kids are not good swimmers perhaps look for a different spot. You can rent life vests there, but even to get into the water is pretty tricky. You have to walk down steps and it is pretty rocky, need water shoes. Def. the best snorkeling we have seen so far...

Archived