Just off the Mariner...WOW!

Hi everyone! We just came back today from our 7 night cruise aboard the Mariner, to the Western Caribbean.

I am in total awe of the whole experience!

DH and I brought our three boys (ages 12, 9, and almost-4), and we only booked the cruise about 5 weeks before departure, so we expected to get a "not so great" cabin. Boy, were we wrong!! We got a Family Ocean View, stateroom #8200, which is way forward (our view from our three huge windows was directly over the bow), and is HUGE!! Probably bigger than most suites! We had a huge living area with sofabed and two chairs w/ottomans, tv, frigde, etc. Another smaller bedroom with bunks (and it's own door!), a big closet, and plenty of room for the kids to play games on the floor, and another bedroom for us, with the huge bed, vanity area, huge closet, etc. This was the BEST room for 5 people!

Anyway, we loved everything. I was amazed at the customer service. It was over the top. The food was fantastic, the kids clubs were awesome (the kids begged to go every day, and begged for us to stay out later so they could "party" until the wee hours! Sadly, we were too tired to stay up after 11!).

The ports were fun. We had great weather, except for Ocho Rios, where we had some rain, but the kids were climbing Dunns river falls with my DH anyway, so they didnt' care (I walked up the steps with my littlest one and took pictures).

I can't say a single bad thing about this cruise!! Everyone we met, staff, crew, and fellow cruisers were the nicest people ever.

I am not a big "night owl" (those days are over for me!), and I was amazed at how much night life people on board enjoyed! These people know how to have a good time!!

The funniest thing I heard all week was when I was in the elevator with three elderly women, one was maybe late 60's, and the other two were definitely early 70's. They were obviously part of a sewing group, based on their matching shirts and sewing bags. One of the older ladies said to the other two "do you think we should climb the rock wall one more time before sewing?" The others replied that they had already done it twice, and thought maybe they should wait until after lunch. I just about fell over laughing! I am 38 and didn't even ATTEMPT the rock wall!!! There are some spry older people out there, and many were on our cruise!

I have over 300 pictures taken, so I hope to post some in the coming days.

Thanks for all the tips I got here before we went- everything came in so handy! My DH kept saying "how did you know about THAT?", and I said, from my message board!!!

Off to bed now, I am exhausted (and still feel like I am rocking with the ship!).

Karen

Any comments about dry dock? Our cruise is the second one after coming out of dry dock.

Also just back from MOS, as for dry dock, mainly will be doing the bedding changes (rumors about the tv's being changed) plus a lot of deep cleaning. Our server said that some work is being done in the theater (possibly new shows???) as the cruise staff and entertainers are staying on land during the dry dock.

I am glad you had a good time. I will be on her May 20th

What did they say they are doing in dry dock?

Did they confiscate soda/alcohol from bags?

Did the group age groups in AO together after 10pm?

Thanks,

Michelle

Glad you enjoyed the ship!

My parents, brother, husband, and daughter just booked the Mariner for Dec. 16th to the western Caribbean. DH, DD, and I have been on the Mariner (Jan. '04 to Eastern Carib) and to the Western Carib twice (Explorer and Voyager). Still wanted to do this cruise in December since I love the ship and the itinerary, and wanted the rest of my family to cruise with RCI again. Last time the three of them went was in '79 on the Song of Norway!

This board is definitely the way to get some wonderful tips. I booked all of my Alaska excursions in '04 and the '05 W. Carib based on recommendations from people on this site. I plan to do the same for our Mariner cruise!

Welcome back! Guess it's time for you to book another one!

Hi! We will be on the Mariner on 6-3 with our son that just turned 10! I was wondering if your boys tried the inline skating, mini golf, ice skating or the rock climbing wall? And if so did they enjoy them? Would love any tips on things my son might enjoy? Thanks!

Here's a link to my webshots page for photos of the Family Oceanview cabin, 8200. Be warned, there are LOTS of pictures there, but the cabin ones are the first 8 or 9 pictures, so you don't have to go through all of them to see the cabin!

You are lucky to have this wonderful cabin!!! I LOVED it.

Karen

http://travel.webshots.com/album/558881774wwnxPB

Boyz3mon - it seems that there are two posts w/ the same title about your Mariner cruise. I had asked a question regarding your almost 4yr old and AO on the other thread. If you have a couple minutes could you take a look and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks so much....

Tim and Jen- Sorry, I can't find another thread! Could it have gotten burried already? I know this board moves quickly! Please either PM me or repost you question here in this thread, and I will be happy to answer! I am sorry!!

Karen

Tim and Jen- Sorry, I can't find another thread! Could it have gotten burried already? I know this board moves quickly! Please either PM me or repost you question here in this thread, and I will be happy to answer! I am sorry!!

Karen

Karen - here's the link to the other thread -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=546110

And here was the original post -

4yr old

I was on the Mariner last year and loved it. We are going again on June 24. Last time we did not take our children, but this time we are. We have a little boy who will have just turned 4 the day before the cruise. Can you give me any of your thoughts on the Adventure Ocean club for that age range? I plan to use the club, as long as he enjoys it and wants to go. Did you son go for hours at a time? Did he enjoy it? Was it well organized and were they kept active/engaged?

Any of your thoughts would be appreciated.

Jen

Thanks so much for any info you might have. By the way, I took a look at your pics...that room was nice! We were considering the Family Oceanview Stateroom when we booked. Now I know if we ever do again, go for 8200.

Thanks again,

Jen

Isn't the Mariner great? I wish I would have found this board before I booked our Mariner cruise. I had my choice of the family oceanview rooms and didn't realize that the ones on 8 were much larger. We stayed in one on the 7th floor. Great pictures of #8200. We are booked on #8200 on the Freedom and from what I've read on here, it is also one of the largest family oceanview rooms so I can't wait to see it in person.

I know what you mean about being so tired at night. I had planned on having late nights with DH while the kids were at AO; however, by 10 p.m. I was exhausted so we ended our night with a snack at Cafe Promenade each night.

Glad to hear you had such a great time. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Any comments about dry dock? Our cruise is the second one after coming out of dry dock.

Sometimes there are a few bugs to workout when you are the first cruise out of drydock. But we've sailed the 2nd cruise out of drydock on the Disney Magic and have sailed several times before one, its fun seeing what changes were made. Fresh carpets, changes in bars, service areas, new bedding and cabin accessories, even menu changes.

If you never sailed the ship before, you won't notice anything. But if you have, go explore and check out your TV for a drydock 'show' too.;)

Archived