Travel with kids (not your own)

Ok, I have heard alot of different things? And have read the policy on RC. We are going to Bermuda in June and our 2 kids are bringing friends. Both kids friends are 17 years old. One of the kids parents are together and I will get a notarized letter. But the other on the parents are divorced? Do I need a notarized letter from both of the parents? It reads on RC that I need a notarized letter giving me permission to take them out of the country from one parent. But I have been hearing that both parents need to give permission. Please help if you have recently gone through this! :)

Good question as I will be doing the same in November.

When in doubt, get a notorized letter stating permission from both parents.

That way you're covered and won't have to second guess yourself or take any chances. That's what we're doing just in case, as rules are always changing.

Go to legaldocsdotcom and click on free docs. There you can print out an authorization/permission form for both parents to fill out. Then simply get it notorize.

Have fun!

Don't worry about the dad who's not a part of the kid's life. All you need is permission to treat the kid in case of medical emergency. As long as the custodial parent is fine with you taking the child on vacation, there is no one to say, "Hey--they're stealing my kid!"

It's always a good idea to have a copy of insurance card when you are traveling with someone else's family member. (Don't worry about the dead-beat dad!)

I use the form from Cruise Diva website. Just enter 'Permission letter' in the search box- includes permission for medical treatment in an emergency.

I have carried this form with me on each cruise as required.

I have been asked twice if I have it with me. I have only been asked once to get it out and show it to the clerk at check-in.

They won't go into all the custody side of this - as long as a parent has signed it. Your friends are old enough to speak for themselves. It is my understanding that this is required so that RCCL doesn't get dragged into non custodial abductions,but I don't think that would apply with the ages of your friends. More important would be the consent for medical treatment.

I am divorced and have sole legal custody. If I had had joint legal custody, I would have had to bring a letter from my ex stating it is ok that I take my kids out of the country. The same is true when my parents take the kids. As I have sole legal custody, they bring a notarized letter stating that I have sole legal custody and that I approve of them taking the kids.

Hi I brought my daughter's friend with us in January on Enchantment of the Seas. I only needed one signature on the consent form. I never used the form. It's really only for medical emergency etc.

Actually, we were asked for our consent letter for DDs friend when re-entering The States after the end of our cruise (June, 2005, Navigator). It is NOT strictly for medical purposes. Glad you had it and weren't asked for it though ;)

A~

Actually, we were asked for our consent letter for DDs friend when re-entering The States after the end of our cruise (June, 2005, Navigator). It is NOT strictly for medical purposes. Glad you had it and weren't asked for it though ;)

A~

We were also asked for the letter by US Customs after the cruise with our nieces. You really need to have two letters or at least two distinct parts to the letter. One is authorizing medical treatment and one authorizes you to take the child out of the country. It also really helps if the kids have passports.

Viv

It will also depend on the countries you are visiting. Different countries may have different entry requirments. You best bet is to check The US Department of States website for the entry requirements for minors for the countries you are traveling to.

Ok, she does have a passport. Now Mom's name is different then hers, so that throws a red flad in the air that they are divorced???????? I really don't think there is any chance of getting a notarized letter or anything from the father......Maybe I will just get a copy of the divorce stating she has joint custody. With that I hope we don't run into problems.....I will call RC again and maybe speak to someone at the check in desk.....or a manager. We will be driving a couple of hours so it won't be easy sending her home..... :(

Do the other children by chance have passports?

You only need one parents' signature, even if it is joint custody.

I travelled with my nephew (whose parents had joint custody) and only needed a notarized statement from one parent.

If they have passports, to get the passport, they will have needed both parents' signatures or papers stating sole custody.

You shouldn't have any problems, just be sure that the letter includes caring for and medical tratment for the exact dates of cruise, and the ports you will be stopping at.

If you go to the RCCL website and click on 'Before you board ' then on travel documentation it states quite clearly that if you are traveling with minors and you are not the legal guardian then at least ONE of their parents is equired to sign.

All you need is the Cruise Diva permission letter. You don't need to track down errant fathers.

A~

Wow interesting because I offered it to the gentleman checking us in and he told me he didn't need it. To just keep it with me in case of an emergency. I did however have to show her legal residency card when disembarked at the end of the cruise.

Ok, she does have a passport. Now Mom's name is different then hers, so that throws a red flad in the air that they are divorced???????? I really don't think there is any chance of getting a notarized letter or anything from the father......Maybe I will just get a copy of the divorce stating she has joint custody. With that I hope we don't run into problems.....I will call RC again and maybe speak to someone at the check in desk.....or a manager. We will be driving a couple of hours so it won't be easy sending her home..... :(

When I took my kids to Canada, they insisted on seeing the divorce decree. Coming out of Mexico they couldn't care less. They didn't even look at our passports. I think it does really matter where you travel, and who is checking your documents. To be safe, I always bring copies of everything.

I called RC again and asked if I could speak to someone in Bayonne terminal and he said he was just in a RC call center and he doesn't have a number for them? He gave me the website for bayonne and I looked that up, it has nothing for customs.So I went to the Immagration website and then sent an email to customs, because they do not offer a phone #?

I just want to be covered if I need both parents notarized letters? You never know who you are going to get thru customs? And thanks, I will ask her Mom for copies of everything.....

If they have joint custody and dad has dropped out of sight then I would think that mom could contact the courts stating the problem. She would grant permission and maybe the court could over rule the dead beat dad isssue.

What about the mom contacting her attorney to get advise about this situation?

Not sure as I have never had to deal with this situation but it is worth a shot.

The dad probably would never know that he's floating out at sea but I know that I would sleep better knowing that everything is above board and on the table.

Hope that this helps!

I sailed from San Diego to Vancouver last spring with my son. His Dad stayed home. I has a consent letter signed and notarized. The pier agent took it from me in San Diego. I figured she knew what she was doing. Wrong! We got to the customs agent in Vancouver and he asked for the letter. I didn't have it. We almost had to stay in Canada and wade through a big mess. The customs agent (who is still included in my prayers) finally waved us by. We were really lucky. Bring two copies and guard them with your life!

• 2 weeks later...

there is a thread titled "Help with Temporary Guardianship" by "ceb 1160" on the first page in which I outlined in detail the form I have used for 5 years. Check it out. I too have been asked for the Permission and Authority to Travel form on at least 2 occassions by US Customs.

On the Disney Cruise website, they have forms specifically for this situation for Disney Cruise obviously, but I'm sure you could adjust the text of the form for your own use. They have one for guardianship and one for medical issues. We have taken a babysitter on three cruises on different lines (HAL, MSC) and have only once been asked for the paperwork, oddly enough, on Disney.

Archived