Anyone Thinking of Machu Picchu in Nov 07?

Brahmama

We are doing this without much planning and have a lot to read and research now. I have been going through all the threads I could find pertaining to MP.

We will dock in Valp toward the last of November and are hoping to find a way to make a 5 or 6 day tour of the MP area.

If you are also doing this, I would appreciate information on traveling to Lima/Cusco/Sacred Valley, etc. and also any *budget* lodging that you might have found and/or recommend.

Thanks.:)

We did a similar trip after our cruise at the end of January last year (2006). We flew on Lan Chile from Santiago (our ship docked at Valpariso so we had to get to Santiago for one night). The plane left around 8am and we arrived in Lima sometime around 10.30am if I can remember correctly. We then had to wait for our flight to Cusco which left around 2pm, again on Lan Chile.

We arrived into Cusco around 3.30pm. We stayed two nights there and on the first day we did the Sacred Valley tour which was most interesting.

The next day we took the 6.00am train to Machu Picchu where we stayed one night. We were so lucky as we had a glorious sunny day whilst there, the first without rain for 3 months!

The next afternoon we caught the 3pm train back to Cusco and spent one more night there before flying out at 8.30am or so in the morning.

Beware that because of the thin air often planes cannot land and also a mist can come down early in the morning and often the planes cannot take off.

I cannot help you with Budget accommodation as went for the exact opposite and stayed at the Monasterio Hotel in Cusco and the The Sanctuary Hotel which is right up amongst the ruins in M.P.

It was an amazing time in that part of the world and we often look back and think about what we saw. The people of Peru have very little in the way of material possesions and we seem to have so much. It does open up your eyes.

Jennie

We just returned from a trip to Peru. We used the Libertador Hotel in Cusco, and Macch Picchu Pueblo. They were both excellent, and a little less expensive. The Pueblo has gorgeous grounds with tours to see orchids and other tropicla plants.

we also did MP last November staying at the Pueblo in MP (very nice w/special amenities and spa) and less $$ than Santuary, Liberator in Cusco, Swisotel in Lima and spurlged and took the Hiram Bingham train to/from MP from Cusco (very xpensive but well worth it w food, drinks entertainment and guide). It's a great trip and enjoy. You may want to do some research on tripadvisor.com for additional info and lower cost choices.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. I will check out the places that you suggested (Pueblo and Liberator)

I was particularly interested in what the weather was like in November? (Toward the last of NOV) I know it's the rainy season - but was wanting a personal experience. I mean, there is rain and there is RAIN!

And thanks for the suggestion about Trip Advisor and I am checking that out also.

we were there in early November and had no rain. We did a day trip to the sacred valley and if you can go to Pisac on a Sunday am there is a local market that is pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Machu Pichu last October. The weather was great, although we did get caught in a thunder storm the first hour we were at the ruins (now that was a bit exciting!). Make sure you spend at least one night at Machu Pichu. A lot of the tourists take the 6:00 AM train from Cusco to MP and return on the 3:00 PM train. As a result, during the afternoon you have the ruins almost all to yourself.

We flew for fairly reasonable prices from Chile to Lima, and to Cusco on LAN. Nice planes. We stayed at the Sheraton in Lima, for about $100 a night and at the Liberatador in Cusco for less than $200 a night (nice hotel), and we took the vistadome train to MP. We did this all on our own. The hardest part was booking the train, you have to pick up the tickets and pay for them at the station in Cusco the day before your trip, and they were closed for a national holiday. Fortunately we were able to wire the money and one of the train company agents delivered our tickets, personally, to our hotel before we arrived. A lot of faith required, and it all worked out perfectly. Peru is a must do, and since you are so close, it is a no-brainer.

jc

Archived