Lost luggage

On our last cruise on disembarkation 1 of our bags was not available for pickup. We waited until most of the passengers had picked up their bags and we checked all the bags again looking for our lost bag but we no luck. We filled out the forms with the Carnival rep. After we returned home the bag finally arrived with everything intact. However today I received in the mail a bill for $38.00 for a courier charge for the bag. Has anyone else had a bag returned and had to pay this charge. I have had my bags lost by the airlines many times and I had never had to pay to have them returned to me. I know it would have cost me many times the $38.00 to replace the items in my bag had it not been returned.

It is common practice for Carnival to ship bags left at the pier to the passengers home and then have them billed for the service.

Yes if the passenger left it. But the OP had to fill out a report with Carnival stating it was not there to be picked up......

Yes we waited for almost 90 minutes to see if our bag showed up and we did have Carnival employees trying to look for it and they were very heplful. I did give them my cell phone and home phone numbers as well. I also told them that I was remaining in Florida for few days after our cruise and we still never heard anything from anyone.

We forgot one of our bags. We were on the Glory about 2 years ago, and just forgot to claim it. When we reached the airport we found a CCL rep and explained what we did. I filled out a form, they told me that we would have to pay the courier DHL. It arrived two days later. I offered to pay the guy, he said there was no charge. I guess it was our lucky day.

Angie

We forgot one of our bags. We were on the Glory about 2 years ago, and just forgot to claim it. When we reached the airport we found a CCL rep and explained what we did. I filled out a form, they told me that we would have to pay the courier DHL. It arrived two days later. I offered to pay the guy, he said there was no charge. I guess it was our lucky day.

Angie

That is because they sent the bill to the OP.

When we had 5 bags lost prior to a cruise (they made it to the pier just didn't get loaded onto the ship even though they were handed to the pier workers) they were located 8 months later. The dock workers left them on the curb and they were taken back to the hotel we'd stayed at and then stored in a closet. All the bags had current id and ship info attached/on/in them.

After the bags were finally shipped to us they tried to bill us over $800 for shipping. We said no thank you. The hotel and the cruiseline could have done a much better job notifying us especially after we filled out countless forms/police reports/numerous phone calls before DH "found" the bags.

When we had 5 bags lost prior to a cruise (they made it to the pier just didn't get loaded onto the ship even though they were handed to the pier workers) they were located 8 months later. The dock workers left them on the curb and they were taken back to the hotel we'd stayed at and then stored in a closet. All the bags had current id and ship info attached/on/in them.

After the bags were finally shipped to us they tried to bill us over $800 for shipping. We said no thank you. The hotel and the cruiseline could have done a much better job notifying us especially after we filled out countless forms/police reports/numerous phone calls before DH "found" the bags.

Holy cow!!!!! I can't believe they expected you to pay $800 dollars when it was their fault!!!!

I was unable to find one of my bags at the Galveston pier last November. They called me when I was on my way to the airport to tell me they found it. I told them to ship it to my home. There was no charge, it was delivered by DHL the following Thursday.

On our last cruise on disembarkation 1 of our bags was not available for pickup. We waited until most of the passengers had picked up their bags and we checked all the bags again looking for our lost bag but we no luck. We filled out the forms with the Carnival rep. After we returned home the bag finally arrived with everything intact. However today I received in the mail a bill for $38.00 for a courier charge for the bag. Has anyone else had a bag returned and had to pay this charge. I have had my bags lost by the airlines many times and I had never had to pay to have them returned to me. I know it would have cost me many times the $38.00 to replace the items in my bag had it not been returned.

File a claim with your travel insurance.They will pay it in a flash.

Steve

I'm sure it's a mistake......just call and explain that your bag was "Lost" and you filed a "Claim" it will help if you still have the claim number.

That charge is for people that leave a bag behind on their own...(like I did once :o)

...........However today I received in the mail a bill for $38.00 for a courier charge for the bag. Has anyone else had a bag returned and had to pay this charge. I have had my bags lost by the airlines many times and I had never had to pay to have them returned to me...........

They must have some balls to bill ya for that! I'd be as :mad: as hell and very vocal about it!

Happy cruising everyone :)

I phoned Carnival this morning and told them that I was not happy about this at all. They told me that these charges are for duty on imported goods only and Carnival did cover the courier charge. My reply to them was that How can I be charged for goods that were bought here at home and that were being returned to me. She said that Carnival has no control over Canada Customs at all(she is right about that) I sent them all the information to see if they can do anything at all lets hope. But I may be on the hook for the duty:mad: :mad: Like I don't pay enough TAXES

We had something similar happen. After getting off our ship in Fort Lauderdale four years ago, our garment bag was nowhere to be found. Me, my mom, another passenger and a porter helped look, but it could not be found - we even looked in all the other tag colors. We had to leave or miss our flight.

A few days later the bag arrived at our house via DHL saying that we owed Carnival about $30. We promptly called and explained the situation - they just had it marked in their system as a forgotten bag, not that it never made it to the terminal. They apologized and all was well. Of course ours was all within the US. But it seems to me if it was CCL's mistake, they should refund you for the duty from Canada.

About 3 yrs ago, i accidently picked up a bag that didn't belong to me, but it was identicle to mine and it was with the rest of my luggage and the stateroom # was almost the same. my stateroom was 6233 and the one on the wrong bag was 6333. I didn't realize it until I got home @ 5 hrs. later. I saw the name tag & phone # on the bag for the owner. I gave them a call and apologized over and over. They understood, and I mailed it to them ( of course paid for shipping @ $30, my fault), they also said they saw my bag at the terminal in NO, but left it there. I then called the port of N.O. to check on it, and maybe I contacted Carnival, but they couldn't tell me anything at first, but i gave them the description of it and they did indeed have it after a few phone calls to ck on it. They still sent it to me at no cost and it was my fault. It seems like it took a couple of weeks, but I finally got it back. I was worried, because it had my jewelry in it. I learned a lesson for sure.

I phoned Carnival this morning and told them that I was not happy about this at all. They told me that these charges are for duty on imported goods only and Carnival did cover the courier charge. My reply to them was that How can I be charged for goods that were bought here at home and that were being returned to me. She said that Carnival has no control over Canada Customs at all(she is right about that) I sent them all the information to see if they can do anything at all lets hope. But I may be on the hook for the duty:mad: :mad: Like I don't pay enough TAXES

I thought your original problem was bad enough, but this is even worse. Now you have to deal with the government. :eek: Good luck, you will need it.

I'd be so happy to see my bag, that I would just pay it! :rolleyes: You hear about so many lost bags these days that are never found. I'd say you are very lucky to get it back! Now, I would not pay $600 after 8 months! :mad:

I thought your original problem was bad enough, but this is even worse. Now you have to deal with the government. :eek: Good luck, you will need it.

Yep! Seams silly to pay taxes on goods you paid taxes on when you bought them the first time.:confused:

Archived