Is it safe to post this information?

PTC

When viewing several roll calls to gather information on what people are doing for tours, etc we noticed that people are posting their names, ages, where they live and what cabin number they have.

Is this really safe to do on a message board that is open for all to read?

Are we being too concerned?

PTC

We do not post our actual cabin number on roll calls anymore. Found in the past that really isn't the best way to go about this. On one cruise, we had people knocking on our door from a roll call (non-CC roll call I might add) at all hours of the day and night.

We also do not use our last name but only our first real names on roll calls.

I make sure someone has our cabin number if we book private tours, just in case we need to be contacted, but we don't put it out otherwise.

I have also seen these lists on roll calls where everyones names and cabin numbers, where they are from, yadda yadda yadda are listed. It only took one bad experience for us to no longer offer too much info before the cruise.

It's nice to meet new people and share some time together, but I would only offer the info you feel comfortable sharing on the boards.

It is suppose to be a vacation, a time to relax away from every day responsibilities. As the previous poster mentioned, it can turn into "too much of a good thing". :eek:

...even the guidelines of this site recommend not doing that. Some people never learn, I would have won the South African lottery if I only would have provided them with my name, social security num, bank and routing number, address, phone number...:rolleyes:

I did post my cabin number on our roll call for our April 7th cruise, and we didn't have any negative repercussions. However, I agree with the poster who said that all it would take is one bad experience to convince me otherwise.

I don't have a problem posting my real first and last name, but I will say that I probably won't post my cabin number again. It's not that I'm concerned for safety reasons, but more that is just seems pointless. We got to be very good friends with a lot of people in our roll call and there was still no need for anybody to have our cabin number, because nobody ever used it for anything.

I do want to encourage you to participate in your roll call, though. Do it in a way that makes you feel safe, but definitely do it!!! We had a blast getting to know our cruisecritic friends. It made a great vacation into an outstanding vacation!

When I get information for roll calls on the ship I am on. I make badges with Screen name and first name only. I also ask for room numbers so we can contect in case we want to set up another meeting.

I have not been very sucessful in getting room numbers from fellow CruiseCriters. But I do post mine.

When viewing several roll calls to gather information on what people are doing for tours, etc we noticed that people are posting their names, ages, where they live and what cabin number they have.

Is this really safe to do on a message board that is open for all to read?

Are we being too concerned?

No, I don't believe that it's safe, and I don't think you're being too concerned. As AdmiralJohnson rightly says:-
...even the guidelines of this site recommend not doing that.
For reference, the relevant part of the guidelines is here:-
Private Addresses and Phone Numbers

It is best not to post your real name, address or phone number publicly on the boards. We will remove this posts automatically. Also, think carefully before posting too much other personal data on any public message board forum.

And there is a specific post from LauraS on the NCL forum which says:-
Important Info: Guarding Your Private Info

It is of the utmost importance that EACH AND EVERY ONE of you guard your personal information VERY carefully when posting on these, as well as other, message board forums.

I realize that a few recently-registered members have offered their assistance to you, claiming to be NCL Employees. Since you have NO WAY OF ACTUALLY VERIFYING their employment with any cruise line and anyone can lay claim to to being even the King of England if they want, PLEASE DO NOT POST your personal information on the boards.

We aren't trying to discredit anyone who actually does work at NCL. But they must understand the venue in which they are participating.....anonymous. I'm sure they are really only trying to help, but offers of "customer service" really don't belong on this forum, and would only encourage those who aren't sincere in posting in a copycat manner.

A couple of years ago a person on a roll call was collecting information, names,cabin numbers,pictures.This information was on a lead thread from the roll call and anyone could look at it.

Also a list was on the roll call of names that had not given out their personal details.

I mentioned that maybe some persons like to be private and don't wish to divulge their information.

This caused unpleasant remarks towards me at that time.

I am very pleased this subject has been brought up as a reminder to everyone who writes on a public website.:)

Well, I think a lot of people research their cabins on these boards, thus posting their cabin number...like me. I've never had a problem, not to say it's a good idea. Actually, this last cruise on the Dawn was the only time I...with pride...announced that I was in Cabin C747....stupid is as stupid does. Thank goodness it wasn't a problem.

Having coordinated a few Meet and Greets.. AKA Roll Calls..etc..

I have asked the people to FAX and/or eMail me so as the Master List was able to have them listed for cruise benefits etc...

Yes keeping all DATA is very important to be held confidential !:cool:

Having a rolling list with type of Cabin (State Rooms) and deck is nice so as to be able to have a C CRAWL..

Each person and/or group holding the MEET and GREET's etc should have basic facts so as to benefit all the group and people in it, children and adults

..since pets are only allowed on one Cruise Line still ..which is Carnival Cunard. Working animals are allowed on most others as well but do not have the facilities Cunard Ships :cool: do.

Throughout the cruises your able to establish different events and groups too for you... as well discussions with the Officers and Staff.:rolleyes:

Having coordinated a few Meet and Greets.. AKA Roll Calls..etc..

I have asked the people to FAX and/or eMail me so as the Master List was able to have them listed for cruise benefits etc...

Yes keeping all DATA is very important to be held confidential !:cool:

Having a rolling list with type of Cabin (State Rooms) and deck is nice so as to be able to have a C CRAWL..

Each person and/or group holding the MEET and GREET's etc should have basic facts so as to benefit all the group and people in it, children and adults

..since pets are only allowed on one Cruise Line still ..which is Carnival Cunard. Working animals are allowed on most others as well but do not have the facilities Cunard Ships :cool: do.

Throughout the cruises your able to establish different events and groups too for you... as well discussions with the Officers and Staff.:rolleyes:

Do participants in the Meet and Greet get any extra cruise beneflits that you know of?

I have been on a few CC group cruises. Several of us also meet at various places around the country for weekend getaways. We do not post our cabin numbers on the CC boards.

Our group leader starts a Yahoo group that only folks booked through the CC group can access. This is where we have a data base of arrival times, flights, hotels, cabin numbers etc.

With Cruise Critic, the Line which has the most benefits is RCL:NYSE the others are more self funded. Cruise Critic does supply many things with its Cruise line Partner (s).:rolleyes:

HAL does a wonderful job of giving things to the Meet and Greet groups. As with that line it has the most passengers returning of any other line. Mariners rule there...:cool: they give medallions etc...

Do participants in the Meet and Greet get any extra cruise beneflits that you know of?

I planned a CC for one of my Princess cruises. People could either post their info on the message boards or they could e-mail me directly with names, ages and cabin info. I ended up getting an equal amount of people posting and e-mailing. So it looks like it's a matter of personal preference rather than a security issue.

None unless someone in the roll call puts together something.

Maybe dry snacks nuts etc. :)

Our last couple of Princess cruises, Princess has actually supplied champagne for the CC groups onboard, usually at the second CC meeting. I think they are finally realizing that they have a great many CC members sailing on Princess and they are finally doing something for us.

We contact the CD after we board and have them place a meeting time and place in the Princess Patter for all to see. Usually either the CD or assistant CD comes to the meeting and greets us all with a champagne toast!

I have never really worried about giving out our first names and cabin numbers. Heck, Princess even has little signs on each door giving you the name and cabin number of each person on the ship :eek:

After seeing an ugly kerfluffle on this board that extended to a roll call thread, I would say that it's not a good idea.

If there were a problematic situation on the boards prior to a cruise or the group were developing a dynamic I didn't care for, I would want to be able to disengage from the group -- and that would not be quite so easy once cabin numbers have been exchanged.

I am trying to understand just what the danger is in posting one's cabin number.

Well, you could have a "stalker" on the message board who is on your cruise and may harass you onboard. Most won't take the time to look at every door until they find the one with your name on it - assuming they even know your last name.

I did post my cabin number on our roll call for our April 7th cruise, and we didn't have any negative repercussions. However, I agree with the poster who said that all it would take is one bad experience to convince me otherwise.

I don't have a problem posting my real first and last name, but I will say that I probably won't post my cabin number again. It's not that I'm concerned for safety reasons, but more that is just seems pointless. We got to be very good friends with a lot of people in our roll call and there was still no need for anybody to have our cabin number, because nobody ever used it for anything.

I do want to encourage you to participate in your roll call, though. Do it in a way that makes you feel safe, but definitely do it!!! We had a blast getting to know our cruisecritic friends. It made a great vacation into an outstanding vacation!

I would rethink posting your last name, anyone could look it up in the phone book or online and next thing you know your house could be robbed while your sipping on a foo foo drink..miles away

Yes there is a fine line between caution and paranoia, and thinking that it is likely that a burgler or a stalker would be picking victims from a cruise forum is well past the line. I suspect the average petty criminal has never heard of a cruise forum.

Archived