Sea Life Discovery Tours

vfb2girls

I was looking at some of the excursions that are offered through our cruiseline for Sitka, one of those excursion was the sea life discovery tour, has anyone ever taken this tour or is it kind of lame? Do not want to book something that does not have favorable reviews. Thank you

I too greatly prefer the independents for these boat tours. Get a far more personal up close look. :) If you want to see puffins, going independent is a better way to do it, since the ship tours, may or may not see them. Especially necessary is a boat trip that goes to St. Lazaria Island. Sitka is the most accessable for puffins on the Inside Passage, for cruise visitors.

I must of misunderstood the sealife discovery tour, I thought it was like an underground viewing area...am I mistaken? We have already booked several small boat tours in various ports so I was looking for something different to do. We might just have to stick with doing the self guided walking tour of Sitka and of course visit the Rapture Center since there is a coupon in the tour saver book for it. Once again thanks for the help, our trip is approaching fast and both my husband and myself are just besides ourselves with anticipation and excitement.

I must of misunderstood the sealife discovery tour, I thought it was like an underground viewing area...am I mistaken? We have already booked several small boat tours in various ports so I was looking for something different to do. We might just have to stick with doing the self guided walking tour of Sitka and of course visit the Rapture Center since there is a coupon in the tour saver book for it. Once again thanks for the help, our trip is approaching fast and both my husband and myself are just besides ourselves with anticipation and excitement.

Are you thinking Seward's Sealife Center, with their under ground sea bird and sea mammal exhibits? There is nothing underground in Sitka.

However, if you are not going to Seward- this is a top boat tour choice for varied wildlife that isn't available elsewhere on the Inside Passage.

Thanks BQ, I must of read the tour excursion site wrong, anyway yes we are spending two nights in Seward and do plan on visiting the Sea Life Center and do have a boat tour plan as well so I am sure we will see plenty of wildlife and if not it is no big deal, just the fact that we will be in Alaska is enough for me.

• 1 month later...

In Sitka there is a tour offered that is called the "SeaLife Discovery Tour" with a partially submerged vessel. (resembling a submarine that doesn't completely go underwater.)

This is different than the SeaLife Center in Seward...

...and of course visit the Rapture Center since there is a coupon in the tour saver book for it.

I am in no way mocking you, because I completely understand the excitement of travel, but when I saw 'Rapture Center' I went :eek: . Then I thought, I'll have to call up my fundamentalist Christian friend; she can't wait for the Rapture, and it's right there in Sitka!

Seriously, though, the Raptor Center is a wonderful experience, and I recommend it to anyone going to Sitka. It's one thing to see an eagle up in the sky and quite another to see it from a few feet away to realize just how incredibly large and powerful they are. Also, if your bus gives you enough time, wander the trails around the center. It's a quick and easy way to see the forest, muskeg and a very pretty creek.

Archived