Please tell me if my TA stinks

Lovely_Star

I randomly check Princesses website for price drops for our upcoming cruise. I checked recently and not only had the price dropped in our CAT, but the price for the CAT above us has dropped also. On Princesses website you can sign in to your account to see if you are eligible for "specialized pricing" when I signed in it gave me an even lower rate. I call princess to try to upgrade our CAT and get the specialized pricing of course they tell me I need to have my TA call :rolleyes: So I call my TA and she says that she called Princess and that we are not eligible for that rate :rolleyes: Is she full of it? I don't understand why we are ineligible . . . can someone please explain this to me like I am a two year old :confused: This is our first cruise so I am pretty clueless and just learning the ropes.

It really depends on the "reason" you are not eligible. Is it for "New Bookings only", which is often the case. My augument then would be, "I thought by booking early, I would get the 'best price'." See what she says. If all else fails and the price difference is worth it to you, you could cancel if you are not in a penalty phase and rebook directly with Princess or another agency. keep in mind, you could also loose your cabin to someone else.

I have had a credit given to our cabin of $700+ when this happened to a group cruise that we were on.

Good luck,

Nanatravel

If the price drop is due to one of those fireside sales, then it would usually have a "new booking only" restriction. The cruiseline is tryinig to fill up the remaining cabins, so permitting a currently-booked customer to get the lower price by sliding over will not help them accomplish that goal. As another person says, you can cancel and rebook, but if you have already made a final payment, your saving would probably evaporate by doing it this way, if not paying more than before.

The point is that there are some fares that are not open to people currently holding reservations, and if this situation is one of those, it would not be your TA's fault. You need to ask your TA whether this is the case.

If you have not yet made a final payment and/or are still outside of the deposit forfeiture period, then you can go ahead and cancel, and then rebook at a lower fare.

Yes it seems your T/A does, as you ask, suck!

Ask to speak to the mgr there and/or owner.

Once you get on your first ship /trip..cruise time well spent will seem heaven sent !

:cool:

As well ask 1-800 PRINCESS more as you are booked ..:cool: and your not a snook..

Congratulation on choosing the relaxing (once abaord) way of water travel/vacations..

It is life changing!

I randomly check Princesses website for price drops for our upcoming cruise. I checked recently and not only had the price dropped in our CAT, but the price for the CAT above us has dropped also. On Princesses website you can sign in to your account to see if you are eligible for "specialized pricing" when I signed in it gave me an even lower rate. I call princess to try to upgrade our CAT and get the specialized pricing of course they tell me I need to have my TA call :rolleyes: So I call my TA and she says that she called Princess and that we are not eligible for that rate :rolleyes: Is she full of it? I don't understand why we are ineligible . . . can someone please explain this to me like I am a two year old :confused: This is our first cruise so I am pretty clueless and just learning the ropes.

Up to 75 days prior to sailing (assuming a normal period, longer for holiday periods), you get the whole deposit back even if you cancel. Princess would not assess any penalty (your TA may have its own penalty fee, or may not).

Penalties depend upon the Contract youall signed and/or agreed upon.

Like CD's the penalty on those is usually the Interest..

Ask your T/A and Princess.

Does the benefit exceed the penalty?:eek:

Then the choice can be made easily...

Final Payment is not due until July 3rd, so all we have placed down thus far is our deposit . . . but wouldn't there be penalties for canceling?

Outside of final payment there is no penalty, however, if this is for new bookings, and you cancel and rebook, you would still not be eligible for the savings since you are not technically a "new booking". I would ask your TA or supervisor the reasoning behind why you cannot get the price drop. REquest a 3 way with Princess, since it doesn't sound like you would believe your TA anyways. There really is no reason why your TA would not give it to you if you were eligible...think about it...would you rather do 15 minutes of work to change a res, or have a customer calling you and complaining? Keep us updated...by the way, the title of your post seems a bit harsh until all the facts are known..just my opinion.

Maybe you should comunicate this with your TA first before you come and ask if she "sucks" . . . I'm sorry, but if you don't ask "why" first, you can't complain that she is "full of it" and infer that she is not doing her job.

I think the reason your travel agent said you are not eligible is because she will get less comission.

If Princess' website shows lower pricing then what you paid BEFORE you even signed in for "specialized pricing" you definitely are eligible for the lower price.

If your heart is not set on the specific cabin you have, just cancel and book with someone else.

Bill

There are many reasons why you might not be eligible, some have been posted already.

Most common is new bookings only. In this case you could have your agent cancel and re-book although this may cause you more of a problem. Financial penalty, cannot get same cabin, and I have seen where cruise line has recognised what was happening (same names) and would not accept booking at the lower price.

May be offered to passengers of special status such as past cruisers, live in a particular state, etc. or some other criteria which is not readily apparent.

You should definitely have your TA find out why you are not eligible.

I find it very hard to believe that any travel agent would refuse to fight for a price adjustment if the customer is eligible for it. Travel agents rely on repeat business and referrals. If they did not keep the customer`s best interest in mind at all times, they would soon be out of business.

If is possible to have an inexperiened TA who may not always know how to get price reductions. If you are certain that you are eligible, stay after your TA or transfer the reservation to a more experienced agent. But ask your agent why you cannot get the reduced price. There may be a valid reason.

No your TA doesn't stink. I "review" price changes all the time and tell my TA.....who is also my big sister to check out the reduction for me with Princess. 100% of the time the reduction cannot be applied to my booking for various reasons. But I always make her call and check for me:D One of this days.......:eek:

We have to remember that OP just asked us whether her TA might be pulling something, and it sounds as if we presented some good cases to show that her TA may not be.

However, a good TA should also be able to explain why the fare adjustment is not possible, and if this TA at issue did not do so, then I have to say that the TA must share at least some blame in the OP not being happy.

In my experience, what I call a fireside sale or super-duper-dumping sale is typically open to new bookings only. These are usually last-minute or at least after-the-final-payment-was-due sale, and it makes sense that it is not open to previously-booked customers. It is for people who took the gamble by waiting, so it is a high-risk, high-return case.

But if it's a simple price drop, meaning that the particular category or categories of staterooms shows a lower price without being marked as a sale, the price can in just about all cases be adjusted by simply asking the TA to take care of it (assuming you have not made the final payment). My TA has done this three times already for my upcoming Alaska cruise, and they did so without any hesitation.

Did you ask why? Did you ask how Princess defines "specialized" pricing?

If I were you I would cancel, Sept is Hurricane Season in the Carribbean and you can always fing a good deal if you are unable to rebook.

I just went to Princess.com and started a reservation for your sailing.

Prices are Inside-$599 OV- $648 Balcony-$799 Minisuite-$999 Suite-2049. Check that your letter is also the same as the ones shown and if these prices are less than you paid Princess will reduce it for you. There is no disclaimer on this reservation that says it is for new reservations only. Whether your TA is just giving you incorrect information or is reluctant to reduce the price and therefore reduce her commission I don't know,but if you feel less than confident in her I would cancel and re-book. It looks like there are plenty of rooms available.

I don't believe that your TA is doing what she needs to be doing. I had the same thing happen a few years ago on our Alaska cruise and we were given the new price. Like you, I'm always checking. Now I have a TA that is always looking out for her clients and will notify me if there is a change in price. I have total confidence in her. I think you need to speak to your TA's manager or the office manager to see if you can get this taken care of. If not, you can find another TA that will work for you and have the reservation taken over by the new TA.

yes I think your TA does stink. As I am also somewhat of a new comer to cruiseing, This december will be my second on the Grand Princess to the Western Carribean. I would try to move your booking to their another TA or to princess directly. Just my suggestion. One caveat would be if your within the amount of time to get your money back.

Good luck!!!!

You know, I'm not a TA here, but I really think everyone needs to be a bit more objective when "feeding" the OP. None of us were on the line when the OP talked to her TA . . . we have no idea exactly what transpired during that conversation, yet everyone is ready to say that her TA is terrible and not doing her job and she should be dumped, blah blah blah.

Think about it. What you are doing is unfair not only to the TA, but to the OP as well. I'm not calling the OP a liar at all, but I learned a long time ago that there are 3 sides to every situation -- your side, their side and the bottom-line truth somewhere in the middle.

When we are upset about a situation, we all do this, we leave out parts. We are all human. But don't go bashing the TA without knowing 200% of the facts! The OP asked a question, maybe it was a bit harsh, but the OP needs to communicate with her TA and if the TA "blows her off" then it's up to the OP to do what is important.

Everything is subjective. This is a good place to come to for information, but the bashing has to stop all the time - it gets old.

To the OP, communicate fully with your TA. Tell her what your expectations are, find out why exactly Princess won't give you what you want. It may not be your TA's fault. But don't jump to conclusions until you have all the facts.

I'm not a TA, however I work with them everyday. And just like all other service oriented professions you have some that are good and some that are not so good. I have offered a suggestion based on my experience hopefully giving the OP an option during this very trying time with her family. With everything that is going on, I hope this will help. I don't feel as though I was bashing.

Stink is such a strong word. You used it, not me. But, to answer your question (IMHO)....Yes!

To me, service is the most important item in the travel business. To me, service does not end once the transaction has been agreed upon.

Archived