Need contact information for complaint letter

Who should one write a complaint letter to for the best chance of response from RCCL? I have a co-worker that missed her ship (via RCCL air) and is hoping that they can get a future cruise credit for compensation. She doesn't want to send it just to customer service and be lost in the maze. They were flown to Jamaica 3 days later and maybe that is all RC HAS to do but she would really like more than that since they did miss almost half of their cruise.

Does anyone have an idea what is usually done in this case? Do you think she will get something else?

I'm so sorry your friend missed part of her cruise. You might point out to her to read her contract thoroghly before writing any letter. If she does write snail mail, make sure to send it return receipt requested.

I hope she gets something more than an apology, perhaps an onboard credit on a future cruise. When you read through the material, it does state they will assist you to catch up to the ship, which is what they did :rolleyes: .

This is a great lesson why not to book cruise air, unfortunately. Many people believe the myth that the ship will wait for you (not always) and get you to the next port (they only assist in making arrangements). All this after overcharging you for air and having probably the worst possible air arrangement.

Next time, tell her to book her own air and fly in at least one day ahead. Don't buy their over-priced insurance or transfers, either!

I was expecting to see a 1 next to posts on your name. But since you have posted on here before I guess we'll help you out. I love when people's first post on these boards is for info. to register a complaint.

If you have names please be sure to include them into your report. And I know it's hard but here are a few things to avoid

Bashing the company

Comparing to ____________ cruise line

Having a negative tone

Making the whole letter negative (somethings had to be positive for you be sure you tell these as well)

Threatening to come onto these boards and post

The one time I wrote a letter and received compensation I was sure to be overly kind and stroke their ego.

Example. I know you normally have great service and this was probally just a one time occurance but I feel you needed to be aware.

Hope this helps.

clarksfan1, jealdaka has about as many post as you do! if they only have one or two posts you won't help? jealdaka sorry to hear about your friends cruise!

Unfortunately, there are many people here who think this way. Of course, it's hard to read negative thread starters from people who have never come here before. But, in my opinion, we were all "newbies" at one point and we need to have patience and tolerance with even the nastiest of new posters. If they truly don't want to be here and have only come to rage, they will be gone after they have written their complaints. I see it all the time here, the one post wonders. Ignore them and the nasty thread will be gone in a few hours, react and it can stay for days or weeks.

A lot of regular posters here just get their britches too wadded up at the slightest criticism of their beloved ship or cruise line :rolleyes: . And yes, many won't help, but only sneer at people with a very small post count. I wonder what they are like in "real" life, perhaps the know-it-alls that aren't real happy with themselves so they have to criticize others.

A couple of weeks ago I wrote an email to Crown and anchor because first I wanted to recognize the wonderful service we received from our waitstaff and a member of the pursers staff. In it I also mentioned several problems we had with the shore excursions desk. Tuesday in the mail I received a great personalized letter and two very generous saving certificates to be used in the next year. We already have two more cruises booked and I faxed the certificates yesterday and the credit was applied last night.

I truly believe if you state the positives and don't rant and rave over the negatives that you might get somewhere. I never asked for anything, nor did I expect anything and it was a fantastic surprise! I know your friends problem was a lot more serious than mine but I would definitely suggest you advise your friends to rein in their disappointment and temper and calmly explain the circumstances but also include praise for the part of the cruise that they enjoyed. Tell them I said good luck!!!

Wow clarksfan, anyone deserves help whether their post count is 1 or 10,000. Some of us were lurkers before actually joining so we can post. Though I only "joined" in March, I was reading here long before then. I have seen newbies flamed for asking what they thought was an innocent question and I have seen someone with a high post count get flamed because someone thought "someone with that high a post count should know better". Help is what the OP is looking for:rolleyes:

To the OP, just make sure your friend keeps the letter as positive and nonconfrontational as possible. I hope they get the response they are looking for.:)

If you booked with a TA they should be able to help. I know that the cruise lines have agreements with my agency to respond to compaints within a specific amount of time.

When writing the letter I suggest asking for what you want. If you write a letter of complaint to the cruise lines without asking for anything a lot of times they will just thank you for bringing the information to their attention and that's it. Actually I would probably ask for a little more than you expect so that when they give less you are not to disappointed. :o

Did your friend have a TA? We missed our ship and had used RCI air. I left a message for our TA on Christmas day telling her our situation. SHe TA called RCI while we were on the ship and they told her that we would have an OBC. When we returned, I called the TA and asked her what she found out. She asked if we got an OBC, which we didn't. She then worked with RCI and got us a nice refund (per person/per day and there were 5 of us) that they credited to our credit card that we used for the Sea Pass acccount. Wiped it out.

I do appreciate all of the input but still wonder who she should direct the letter to. I will mention Crown and Anchor as an option. Thought maybe a specific person. I've told her most of the same things mentioned here. She knows that they have met their obligation - just hopes they will do something more. They felt cruiseline air was the best option as they had a wedding to attend the evening before and could not fly in early.I believe they did get a small onboard credit. What would you consider a good amount for missing 3 nights and days?

I do appreciate all of the input but still wonder who she should direct the letter to. I will mention Crown and Anchor as an option. Thought maybe a specific person. I've told her most of the same things mentioned here. She knows that they have met their obligation - just hopes they will do something more. They felt cruiseline air was the best option as they had a wedding to attend the evening before and could not fly in early.I believe they did get a small onboard credit. What would you consider a good amount for missing 3 nights and days?

I would take their cruisefare, plus fees and divide it by the number of nights, so if it was say 700$ for the whole cruise/ number of nights (7) = 100$ per day x 3 missing days = 300$. Use the real figures and take the number of days that they missed and anything around that I would say is reasonable. Whether or not they will see that figure is anyone's guess. Did they book themselves or go through a TA? This is a case where the TA should be going to bat for them.

Did they have insurance? Not sure if this case would be covered but it would be worth looking into.

We received $175 per person per day. We were also on the Christmas cruise, which is at least double what "normal" cruises are.

Read back, I am not the only one that thought your so called "joke" was uncalled for. Way to go:rolleyes:

Let's all try to stay on task (as my son's teacher says), and help the the OP with the situation.

I hope that your friend filled out the comment card at the end of the cruise, because they really do read them :) I also agree with the previous poster about writing to the C&A, they always seem to get things done when RCCL won't or can't. This is to say that your friend is a member of the C&A. Also, as this poster said, it doesn't hurt to mention the good things about the cruise as well, instead of just bashing.

I was expecting to see a 1 next to posts on your name. But since you have posted on here before I guess we'll help you out. I love when people's first post on these boards is for info. to register a complaint.

HMMM -- so what is the rule about helping people out? Do they need to have 100 posts? Or 20? Or only 10?

Since I have several hundred more posts than you do, does that mean that I shouldn't help you out?

And that guy up the board who tried to help out and has over 8000 posts, does that mean he won't help me or you either??

I need to know what the rules are here. I am a math major and like nice solid numbers! Please clarify for me ...

>:-)

Although I have a hunch you were just joking and being sarcastic, it's comments like this that keep so many people from asking questions and returning to the message boards. I realize there is more to Cruise Critic than the message boards, but as a group leader, the first place I send my members is here - yet when asked later, very few of them bother to return! They feel a little intimidated and find some of the chatter on the message boards and roll call forums a little over the top! They also comment on how mean some people can be. Not everyone is message board savy!

I think a lot has to do with how comfortable people feel participating in a message board - many people can't read between the lines. Like I said, I kind feel this comment was all in jest - but like many here, it wasn't taken that way!

Just my two cents worth here!

Suzi

Hope your friend makes out ok.

I have written several times to Carnival and once to Celebrity.

Carnival was very generous.

Celebrity had credited me for what happened before the cruise (document were not received till the day before the cruise, we had been given the flight assignment by our TA and called for seats, when the document finally arrived we did not have the same flight times or airline,out TA was furious and she went to bat for us and got us a $300. credit. We had 4 people in our party.

While on the ship we were called before leaving St. Lucia to us that our kids were missing (22 and 24 at the time) and that the ship was sailing with out them. THe ship was sailing 15 minutes early and actually they did make the ship at 5:17 the ship was to sail at 5:30 and Celebrity wants you back on board 15 minutes before (which they did not do) However to call someone on the phone and tell them their kids are missing!

I wrote a letter and they called me back. THey said that I was compensated for my inconvenience and that she had to go -- had no time to speak to me because she was leaving on a cruise. She would call me back when she returned -- you know the rest -- she never called.

We are sailing with RCCL in Feb 08 on the Radience. Excited to try RCCL but nervous since we don't know what to expect and they are connected to Celebrity. We will never go with Celebrity again.

I feel sympathy for the OPs friend but I am at a loss to see why RCL should owe them anything.

Cruise lines arrange are as a courtesy for their passengers. Sometimes they have much better fares than can be obtained by the traveler (not often). The cruise line is really acting like a TA in this case. Why not ask the TA who did the booking to make up the difference? Even better, why not ask the airline who could not get you there on their published schedule.

This is one of those sad situations that sometimes happens to good people, but to ask for and expect compensation from the cruise line because your flight was late (which is just bad luck) is not the right way to go. (This type claims eventually cause fares to rise for all of us.) I would look to my travel insurance for compensation, that is why you buy the policy.

I would write. All they can say is no! However, if it were me, contract or not, I would have handled it as best as I could while I were on the ship, and not waited till I got home. Even though they say they are not responsible, I would ask especially since the air was booked through them.

As other's have said, as long as your nice about it you may get somewhere. :)

Archived