What time do you need to wake up on Glacier Bay Day?

LaBayouBabe

dawn, for my trip, was 6am...but i was late in the season. i set our alarm clock (already in our room) for 5am. i got to see the park rangers and their boats..coming along side the ship and climbing up the ladder to board. not a job i would want..the climbing up the ladder!!

didn't get to see any whales, but if they had been there..i would have seen them. did get wonderful views of the sun's early reflections on the clouds, water, mountains...it's was beautiful. that says a lot from me..i am NOT a early bird.

you are doing the same path...we were entering glacer bay between 7am to 8am. the tv had a channel with information on the national park. i had the map (left with the chocolates the night before) spread out on the bed. park rangers started pointing out the views between 9am-10am. you could hear them over the tv or the ship's speakers.

I am outside on deck 30 min. before dawn. I have always seen whales. Port side is the side to be on in a cabin, if you don't want to be outside. But a front viewing is the best of all. :)

We're going to be on the Pearl cruising Glacier Bay on August 23rd. We have a balcony cabin, but I don't want to miss anything that's going by right outside the door. What time do I need to be awake?

Sherri,

I was up and on our balcony by 5 am.....sunrise in Alaska is just beyond believable. The sun set that night around 11:30 pm (late May) and we were on the balcony or up on the deck virtually the entire time. Our day in Glacier Bay was one of the best ever! Saw whales very early..maybe 6 and also very late. Got pictures of one right around midnight while it was still twilight.

Happy Cruising!

Sheri (Great name, by the way!) :D

The NOAA site says that sunrise in Gustavus, a town close to Glacier Bay, is 5:43am, ADT, on August 23, 2007. Sunset is 8:31pm.

Happy Cruising

However, there is probably at least an hour of extended twilight with excellent visability on both ends of this timeframe. My most traveled time to Alaska is mid August into Sept, and I am frequently out at, still viewing stuff, close to 10 pm.

Are the sunrise/sunset times listed in the cruise dailies? I have copied the info on the amount of daylight hours each day, but not when sunrise and sunset will occur. BTW, thanks Budget Queen for explaining about the "twilight" hours. Here I thought it was bright sunlight for 17 or 18 hours! Oy Vey! :eek: How would I ever be able to take a nap??

Very excited about my first trip to Alaska (notice I said my first, which means I plan on going again!) Can't wait until I can come back to these boards and share what I have learned so that I can help someone else, just like these boards have helped me.

Are the sunrise/sunset times listed in the cruise dailies? I have copied the info on the amount of daylight hours each day, but not when sunrise and sunset will occur. BTW, thanks Budget Queen for explaining about the "twilight" hours. Here I thought it was bright sunlight for 17 or 18 hours! Oy Vey! :eek: How would I ever be able to take a nap??

Very excited about my first trip to Alaska (notice I said my first, which means I plan on going again!) Can't wait until I can come back to these boards and share what I have learned so that I can help someone else, just like these boards have helped me.

NCL does post the sunrise/sunset times in their Daily but I'm not sure what the others do. Also the TV has a "ship's station" that shows the current time, sunrise/set times, location of the ship, speed of the ship, outside weather conditions and lots of other interesting info.

I'm glad you plan on returning to Alaska! It's impossible to see and do everything in just one trip! And, we've found Alaska with all her beauty to be very addictive, hence our 5th cruise to Alaska!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Princess also lists sunrise/sunset times in the daily "Princess Patter" I've been to Alaska numerous times and sail again next Friday. Even now I spend lots of time outside watching the scenery and never get tired of it. Best time to be out on deck IMHO is either at dawn or the long evening twlight. There are so many places with spectacular scenery its hard to go to bed and miss something :)

DaisyGirl, you do realize that the Mercury cruises Hubbard Glacier and not Glacier Bay?

Archived