Wine Packages

Lane40

On one of our cruises and I am thinking it was a RCCL cruise we had the opportunity to purchase a wine package on the first day of the cruise. I believe it was a seven day cruise and for $140 you could have a new bottle of wine every evening from a selected list. Or, for $200 you could select from a more expensive wine list for a new bottle every evening.

Hopefully, my posting makes some sense. Anyway, is some type of “wine package” offered on an Oceania cruise?

I think they may have!

I seem to recall a sheet of wines and if you bought 3 or more it was a special price. It was with the Currents one night but you could alway check once on board.

Thanks for the information. The wine package would not have done me any good at home this evening though. It has been a long long week and I am currently working now on my second bottle. LOL

Roy Carib, does indeed have a wine package that scales from Bronze to Platinum or some sort of grading scale. bascially you choose a package say Bronze and it offers you a list of wines that you can choose from. but if you say choose a gold type package, you'd have everything that gold offered (different than the bronze pkg) but then you'd have all the lower levels of wine offered to you as well.

the unfortunate thing about this is most of the wine packages were lower end to mid range (certainly very few that were great) and a huge majority were from California. we were on a med cruise hoping for some really nice wines being available since we were there in Europe and also knowing we weren't going to smuggle any wine's on board. unfortunately the wine list was horrid. there was a i tink 3 nights where we ordered a wine.

X on the other hand has a standard wine list and then if you ask for the sommellier and tell them what you want...they'll bring you the 'good' wine list, which has wines upwards of 300, 600 dollars and some really good wines in that too.

Roy Carib, does indeed have a wine package that scales from Bronze to Platinum or some sort of grading scale.

But we are talking about Oceania!! :rolleyes:

No need to smuggle wine or liquor onboard.

very good point...someone just mentioned rccl above and their packages...out of curiosity...how is the wine list on Ocenia? we're getting really tired of the same old same old on RCCL, but we go because there is people our age (i'm 31 and my wife is younger) but quite frankly, although i like the size of the ships, the food is moderate at best, but you might find people your age. with X i found people were older, though the food and service were better.

so we started looking at Oceania and the new line by X -- Azahmaria?

very good point...someone just mentioned rccl above and their packages...out of curiosity...how is the wine list on Ocenia?

so we started looking at Oceania and the new line by X -- Azahmaria?

they have their wine list on the website

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/T_MainContentPage.aspx?PageUID=735d0886-26d1-410f-86cc-17bad77c6bc9

The age on O is older ..they tend to have longer cruises so they get more "mature" cruisers but they do have younger people onboard as well.

As for Azamara I guess we will have to wait and see who goes on their cruises.;)

LHT28,

Thanks for the link to the wine list. Have you any idea of the prices that are charged for the wines. I was looking at the Savignon Blanc from Delatite here in Victoria and also Nobilo from Marlborough in New Zealand.

Jennie

I think they may have!

I seem to recall a sheet of wines and if you bought 3 or more it was a special price. It was with the Currents one night but you could alway check once on board.

On Regatta recently there was a sheet of wines that were offered at a significant discount (in the order of 40% off of wine list price) if you bought at least three bottles. I imagine it was also wine they were trying to get rid of but we found some great wines on the list at a fairly decent price. We found all of the sommeliers to be exceptionally knowlegable about the wines on the list complete with a shake of the head if they were not recommending it themselves.

On Regatta recently there was a sheet of wines that were offered at a significant discount (in the order of 40% off of wine list price) if you bought at least three bottles.

Yes that was the same sheet. I wish I had the room to bring home my copies of the Currents...they do come in handy for answering questions here. :)

LHT28,

Thanks for the link to the wine list. Have you any idea of the prices that are charged for the wines. I was looking at the Savignon Blanc from Delatite here in Victoria and also Nobilo from Marlborough in New Zealand.

Jennie

I cannot remember the prices but I think the cheapest bottle of wine started at $30. +

I am sure others here that are wine drinkers will chime in.

Hi: We were on Oceania on 4/18 (a party of 6 - all avid wine drinkers). The wine list was just so-so and we found some of the sommeliers very, very inexperienced. There were bottles in all price ranges beginning around $25. We solved the problem of getting some greater variety by purchasing wine ashore when we could find something really interesting, and paying the $20 corkage fee. Everyone was happy with that arrangement!

:) My husband and I will be going on our first cruise in less than a month with RCI. We are quite spoiled when it comes to wine, but I was not overly impressed with their wine list, - even though they claim it is on par with most restaurants - there are some good cellar names, but not many. However, if you purchase a pre-pay package you don't have to pay corkage in the restaurants/ dining rooms and the wines are supposed to be 25% less - I figured 5 bottles of Cline Zinfandel would cost me about the same to purchase so IMO the package is worth it. Additionally, if you purchase a diamond package you can choose wines from the other two list as well.

imogene,

That applies to most of the bigger cruise lines such as HAL and Princess but we are speficially talking about Oceania and if they have a special package.

I cannot see what RCI has to do with Oceania.

Jennie

imogene,

That applies to most of the bigger cruise lines such as HAL and Princess but we are speficially talking about Oceania and if they have a special package.

I cannot see what RCI has to do with Oceania.

Jennie

I was not the only one the mentioned RCI . . . but after looking at the wine list for Oceania I am convinced we booked the wrong crusie line :D

Oh well I will just have to make due with the Cline and wait till I get home to open my Veuve

Archived