who's worked on a cruise ship

lovetovak

I'm looking for information from anyone that has recently worked on a cruise ship. My daughter's friend has the opportunity to work on a cruise ship as a singer but would be missing this semester at college. She is weighing the pros and cons and trying to decide if the experience is worth puttiing college on hold.

Margaret

I'm looking for information from anyone that has recently worked on a cruise ship. My daughter's friend has the opportunity to work on a cruise ship as a singer but would be missing this semester at college. She is weighing the pros and cons and trying to decide if the experience is worth puttiing college on hold.

Margaret

I haven't worked on a cruise ship, but I would say that it depends what she is studying in college. If she is really trying to make singing her career, then I would say experience, especially a steady paying gig, is probably more important than a degree and probably worth delaying college by a semester. But if it's just a hobby and not something she's looking to make a career of, then I'd stick with the education and find other avenues for singing.

If she's in that undecided gray area or unsure whether her talent is sufficient to sustain a career, then the cruise ship opportunity may be a good venue to test that. She could later regret not having taken the chance, and in the worst case scenario it's only a few months lost/delayed.

Again, I know I didn't answer your question from the perspective you asked, but it's my 2 cents.

A friend of mine was on a Disney cruise where the featured singer was Jennifer Hudson--one of the top 10 on American Idol. I'm sure her performing on the cruise ship helped her feel comfortable in front of any audience.

My wife worked on an RCI ship as a dancer many years ago. She had a blast seeing different parts of the world and was able to save quite a bit of money. Essentially living on the ship they had few opportunities to spend it and no rent to pay. They do work their rear off. When not dancing they would working in the library or some other part of the ship.

I personally feel that it is a great opportunity for a young person. Hopefully, she will go back to her studies after the experience. One of my very few regrets is that I did not leave my "comfort zone" when I was young. I probably would have ended up right back here where I am now, but I did miss some adventures in life because I had a fear of leaving the familiar.

I actually left college 12 credits shy of graduation to work on a cruise ship. I worked on the SS Monterey of Aloha Pacific Cruise line back in 1989. It was an absolute blast and I would recommend it to anyone. From somone who attended college and worked on a ship I say go for it. They may discover (as I did) that their studies in college weren't really what their passion was.......I am not a travel agent! I studied exercise/fitness in college and I know I wouldn't be doing that now. Expanding my horizons outside of my home state has made me a better, more worldly and dynamic person. They should definitely go for it. You just never know what's around the bend! Take eevery opportunity that is put in front of you.

Mrsfuzzmo

mtd716 gave a good answer. A friend of ours was a dancer on the Century for 6 months in 1997. He enjoyed it and made some friends that he is still in touch with. It was his first professional job. If she is not sure about what she wants to do this is a great way to "test the waters". I hope this helps!

My neighbor worked for years on a cruise ship as a singer. She did finally get tired of the tiny accomodations (especially knowing she had a beautiful home in Virginia). It would be a great experience that she may never get a chance to do again.

Archived