Legend only Questions! Post 'em Here!

Cleavis

Yes I sure do remember County TV! Too funny!

Sounds like you're gonna have fun watching DS and friends swelter tonite. I will venture out on our sweltering deck to hear the concert, but at least can come in and cool off. It's in the 90's up here, too, and humid to beat the band...YUCK!

OK, at the risk of being one of those people who gets on an informational thread and starts hijacking it for her own purposes, we better let this thread get back to Legend info;) Enjoy your nite and keep cool!!!:rolleyes:

OK, any questions on the Legend? Anyone???;) :)

Well I will be cruisin in Sept... Cannot wait to go on that beautiful ship THE LEGEND..

I do have a question about the types of Wine they serve at Dinner.. I would like a sweet dark wine..I do not like a dry wine. But I do not know what to order either, so I was hoping that there might be a wine connesieur here on this thread that could guide me to what to order...I usually order Lambrusco when I go to Olive Garden, so I know I do like that type... Any suggestions would be appreciated..As for a white I would order White Zinfindel..

Thanks alot...

Linda

• 2 weeks later...
If you are scheduled for early dining, how do you see the sailing under the bridge and be in the dining room at the same time? Is there an alternative besides the buffet? Thank you

I love your username, hahaha!

From what I understand, the only dining areas are the buffet on Lido, the Truffles dining room, and the Golden Fleece Supper Club (which costs extra and I'm not even sure it's open at sailaway). I've heard people say they just kept an eye on the bridge in the distance and ran out to watch the sail under and then went right back to their dining table. There are glass doors directly outside of the dining room that lead to a deck (not an upper deck) - you can go out, watch the sail under, and go right back into the dining room. Also, they do make an announcement a few minutes before sail under alerting everyone to it so they can all be on deck to watch.

Can I be brutally honest here? I found nothing amazing or unforgettable about it. Seriously. My kids thought it was neat but we could have gone without ever seeing it and lived happily ever after. The bridge was much more beautiful and photogenic from a distance. I would take a nice picture of it from a distance and then go have dinner! Whatever you decide, you can work it out.

Thanks CFitz. Couldn't we catch it on the return to Tampa too?

You can catch it then if you're up REALLY early in the morning....I'm thinking in the neighborhood of 5-6 am. You would need to ask what time they thought they would be passing under. The thing that makes it pretty cool at sailaway is that it is evening (unless in the summer) and the bridge is all lit up (and it's a very pretty bridge when lit...I have seen it at other times). Unfortunately the night we went under, there was some kind of construction so all the lites weren't lit. Rather disappointing.

Like CFitz said, I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be. Very nice and all, but if you're really wanting to eat in the dining room that nite, go ahead. You can jump outside when it's announced if you like. And it loses some of the awesome quality unless you are on the top deck and seeing how close the bridge appears to the top of the ship. JMO.....

Have a great cruise! The Legend rules!!!:D

can someone tell me the open seating is going?

do you have to call for a table or just or there and be seated?

tell me everything....

michele

From what I understand open seating is great - IF you are a small party, say, 2-4. Anything above 4, it is more difficult to walk up and be immediately seated, especially during busy times. AND if you are a party of more than 6 (which we were), they only have TWO tables large enough to accommodate you, so if they're both occupied (which they were many times) you're screwed. The good thing is, you can call for a reservation by 4pm and they will have your table ready at the time you ask for. The only problem with that is, if you call later rather than earlier, your time will be taken. Not to mention the fact that it sort of nullifies the whole "open" part of "open seating", haha. Oh, and all open seating is on the upper level dining room, which was fine with us.

I would probably take open seating again if given the choice because of our large party (with 5 kids, most of whom are teenagers) but I would be more prepared to wait than I was. They give you a pager like they do at restaurants and call you when your table opens up, which bugged me at the time, but now I'd just be more prepared. You know, have a game plan. If we get a pager, we'll take it and go play a game of cards in the lounge right outside the upper level of Truffles while we wait - that sort of thing.

Let me clarify that the reason I'd probably choose open seating again is because, with such a big group and many teenagers, it's tough to get everyone on the same page and into the dining room at a specific time. That's the real value of open seating.

We did Open Seating on our July 13th cruise. There were five adults. I chose Open Seating because my "perfect" dinner time is 7:00 - 7:15 PM and I thought this would be perfect. The first night we went at 7:10 and were seated immediately at a great table. The second night we got there at 7 and did not get seated until after 8. We had the pager and sat in the chairs near the piano until it was time for us to eat. We were seated at a very small table for 4 with the 5th chair stuck at the end. Very crowded. The third day I tried to make reservations and called at 8:02 AM and got the recording that they were not taking any more reservations for that night. I called again two more times (thinking that the message may not have been changed from the day before) but kept getting the same message. By that time we had to leave for our excursion. That evening the wait would have been over an hour so we ended up sitting at two different tables. You can only make reservations for 6, 6:30, 8, or 8:30 PM. You cannot make reservations for any times other than these four times. I finally gave up and ended up making reservations at 8:00 PM (and got them by calling at 8:00 AM each morning). I did request the table we had the first night for the rest of the week (a great table for 6 by the window), table 303 with Clive. We were able to sit there except for one night they called back and said we needed to change our time to 8:30 PM, so we did. I like the concept of "Open Dining" but because we could not really go anytime we wanted to, I think I will go back to regular dining.

Sorry if this is posted somewhere, it says search is down.

We just got assigned room 8H - 8125. Looks like it is on the Panorama Deck, up front on the right. Anyone know if this is a good room? Looks like it is right under the spa area, wondered if it was noisy?

I hope I don't get sea sick being up so high!!!:D

Sorry if this is posted somewhere, it says search is down.

We just got assigned room 8H - 8125. Looks like it is on the Panorama Deck, up front on the right. Anyone know if this is a good room? Looks like it is right under the spa area, wondered if it was noisy?

I hope I don't get sea sick being up so high!!!:D

We were in 8123, right next door. It was a fantastic room. The only noise we ever had was on just one night they must have been vacuuming the spa and were moving furniture around. Didn't last too long and was only the one night.

We loved being up high and never had any issues with the motion. I felt it was more noticable aft in the dining room.

Have a great cruise.

OH my gosh! I finally got thru all 67 pages and now have a wealth of info for the Legend. Great thread and thanks to all you knowledgable people. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as my cruise gets closer.

WOW!!! Good for you!!!! Yup, ask away...that's what us Legend-Lovers are here for!:D

We did Open Seating on our July 13th cruise. There were five adults. I chose Open Seating because my "perfect" dinner time is 7:00 - 7:15 PM and I thought this would be perfect. The first night we went at 7:10 and were seated immediately at a great table. The second night we got there at 7 and did not get seated until after 8. We had the pager and sat in the chairs near the piano until it was time for us to eat. We were seated at a very small table for 4 with the 5th chair stuck at the end. Very crowded. The third day I tried to make reservations and called at 8:02 AM and got the recording that they were not taking any more reservations for that night. I called again two more times (thinking that the message may not have been changed from the day before) but kept getting the same message. By that time we had to leave for our excursion. That evening the wait would have been over an hour so we ended up sitting at two different tables. You can only make reservations for 6, 6:30, 8, or 8:30 PM. You cannot make reservations for any times other than these four times. I finally gave up and ended up making reservations at 8:00 PM (and got them by calling at 8:00 AM each morning). I did request the table we had the first night for the rest of the week (a great table for 6 by the window), table 303 with Clive. We were able to sit there except for one night they called back and said we needed to change our time to 8:30 PM, so we did. I like the concept of "Open Dining" but because we could not really go anytime we wanted to, I think I will go back to regular dining.

I wondered if this would end up being the result. With one kitchen, I just don't see how you can do a split traditional/open plan. If you can only get a reservation at 6, 6:30, 8, or 8:30, and if you go at 7:00 you end up waiting an hour, is this really "open?"

When I told my DH that Carnival was doing this, he laughed and said it was silly. He said that people are such creatures of habit that they will end up going at the same time every night, and sitting at the same table (or asking for the same table/servers). I think Gra14gra2 just proved his point.

OK this is too myopic to post on the main board but....

LOOK AT MY COUNTDOWN CLOCK!!! woo hoo! I am so excited! i got my pedi last night and was sitting next to a woman who got off the Legend two weeks ago. After having been on over 20 cruises on 4 lines, she said that the Legend was far and away her fav!

I cannot wait!

BTW, thanks to you all for all of your invaluable info. I know that it is mentioned a lot, but CC really is a great community. I have not found anything like it!

LOOK AT MY COUNTDOWN CLOCK!!! woo hoo! I am so excited! i got my pedi last night and was sitting next to a woman who got off the Legend two weeks ago. After having been on over 20 cruises on 4 lines, she said that the Legend was far and away her fav!

I cannot wait!

BTW, thanks to you all for all of your invaluable info. I know that it is mentioned a lot, but CC really is a great community. I have not found anything like it!

Awwwwww...have a GREAT time!!!!! It is our favorite, too! Can't say anything bad about anything on our entire cruise! Wish I didn't have to wait over a year to sail her again!:rolleyes:

I cannot wait!

I'm Jealous! I'll be standing by for a review...

I wondered if this would end up being the result. With one kitchen, I just don't see how you can do a split traditional/open plan. If you can only get a reservation at 6, 6:30, 8, or 8:30, and if you go at 7:00 you end up waiting an hour, is this really "open?"

When I told my DH that Carnival was doing this, he laughed and said it was silly. He said that people are such creatures of habit that they will end up going at the same time every night, and sitting at the same table (or asking for the same table/servers). I think Gra14gra2 just proved his point.

We weren't so much "creatures of habit" by eating at the same time, getting same table, etc. as we didn't want to wait an hour each time we did go to the dining room at whatever time we chose or have five people sit at a table designed for four. I thought if we chose Open Dining that we could make reservations for whatever time we wanted to eat or go at 7:18 PM and get a table within a reasonable amount of time and be seated at a decent table. This was not the way it was however. So the only other option was to go ahead and make reservations at one of the four designated times and if I had to do this I felt I might as well request a decent table also. Hopefully Carnival will get the "bugs" worked out because I still think Open Dining would be the way to go if it worked properly.

Sorry 4kids but you are incorrect. Being a 100T offshore captain myself and having an understanding of physics there is DEFINITELY a difference between the movement of upper decks versus the lower decks. Lower decks do feel less "ROLL" than the upper decks.

Just envision a metronome rocking back and forth. The bottom of the metronome moves an inch while the top rocks five or six inches. This is the same as in a ship... The lower and more centered the cabin the less movement you will feel.

While the lower decks may have a lower magnitude in the amount of movement felt, shouldn't the overall effect feel pretty similar because both the upper and lower decks will undergo the exact same angular velocity/frequency? I am really not sure one way or the other and I could be convinced either way but I am a math nerd and would love to see someone break out the calculations.

While the lower decks may have a lower magnitude in the amount of movement felt, shouldn't the overall effect feel pretty similar because both the upper and lower decks will undergo the exact same angular velocity/frequency? I am really not sure one way or the other and I could be convinced either way but I am a math nerd and would love to see someone break out the calculations.

I'm FAR from a math nerd, but as a 10 year US Navy vet (Destroyers) I can confirm from actual experience, and lots of it, that the effects of heavy seas, particularly roll, are definitely less pronounced the lower in the ship you are.

When a ship is moving in heavy seas, she moves in all 3 axises. Roll, Pitch and Yaw.

For some reason, Roll seems to have the greatest effect on our inner ear and is usually the greatest contributor to motion sickness. Thankfully, I've never experienced motion sickness, I appear to be immune, but I've seen LOTS of others struggle with it.

Roll effects are definitely less pronounced on the lower decks. Pitch and Yaw effects depend on how far forward (toward the pointy end for you 'lubbers) or how far aft you are. In both cases, the effects are reduced the closer to the center of the ship you are.

Trust me on this. I've sailed in some of the nastiest seas you are likely to find. The North Atlantic in January, Hurricane Andrew......you get the idea. 60'+ waves.......fun fun fun.

Modern cruise ships, particularly the larger ones, are remarkably stable. Part of that is just sheer size, part is the design of the underwater hull, part is the stabilizer systems that they have.

That said, if you are a person who easily becomes motion sick.......book low in the ship and as close to the center as you can.

Me.......if the seas get rough, you will find me as far forward and as high up as I can get.......enjoying the "motion of the ocean" and the sheer power and majesty that is the sea. :)

We weren't so much "creatures of habit" by eating at the same time, getting same table, etc. as we didn't want to wait an hour each time we did go to the dining room at whatever time we chose or have five people sit at a table designed for four. I thought if we chose Open Dining that we could make reservations for whatever time we wanted to eat or go at 7:18 PM and get a table within a reasonable amount of time and be seated at a decent table. This was not the way it was however. So the only other option was to go ahead and make reservations at one of the four designated times and if I had to do this I felt I might as well request a decent table also. Hopefully Carnival will get the "bugs" worked out because I still think Open Dining would be the way to go if it worked properly.

Less than 2 weeks to sail for us. Can't wait. We chose open seating also. I hope they get the kinks worked out. We did open seating on Princess and the longest we had to wait was about 15 minutes one time. And this was a larger ship.

Less than 2 weeks to sail for us. Can't wait. We chose open seating also. I hope they get the kinks worked out. We did open seating on Princess and the longest we had to wait was about 15 minutes one time. And this was a larger ship.

To hearing about your open seating experience. We're on the Legend on September 14th, and I still go back and forth between open seating, and standard dining.

Silc