Tipping at Cats Meow and others

smileeys

I've worked for tips and although cheapskates can frustrate even the most patient of people, you CAN NOT harass people that don't tip you or even worse, don't tip you what you feel is 'enough'.

I don't care where you're from or what you make, this is wrong.

Halos, I totally agree. I was being sarcastic in my remark. Maybe I used the wrong smily, should have used:rolleyes:

Maybe Jorge has not caught up with the Internet which tells all about his harrassment (altho we were not). In days gone by, he probably figured he would never see "you" again. Remember we are from the USA and if we harassed our cleints, how long do you think we would have our jobs?

Hope all is well in God's country:)

We were in Costa MAya 2 times in 2005. We went to Cats Meow both times and had a wonderful experience both times! We were with my parents both times...I do not remember who or waiter was but Barbara is a very nice lady and seems to have some common sence. She was there both times we went. Now my parents went back on 06 and thier bill was way over what it should have been, they had a rude waiter(they never remember names) and Barbara wasnt there that day, her husbad was a real A** though and my parents were disapointed, they went there to see barbara and take her a gift! They left her a note and didnt hear from her for months. She wrote to them though and said she found the note on a shelf and was so sorry she didnt get it sooner. So sad to hear the comments about Cats Meow..........I wish Barbara well but she needs to do something about the rude waiter and her hubbys people skills!

We were there last week, Hugo waited on us. Did a real good job.

Barbara did come out and bring the cat at our request. I think I saw hubbby but no interaction. Hugo fixed us up with great snorkel trip and wonderful massages. Ask for him if you go.

Just curious, why does anyone keep going back?

If this guy George keeps ranting about tips and giving the same ole sob story, this is obviously his way to swindle someone out of some extra money.

I know, if a waitor/waitress came up and complained about the tip here in the states, I would explain to the manager what they did and exactly why I didnt tip them. Better yet, laugh in their face and leave.

Of course, this is if the service was bad, Im a good tipper otherwise.

I've read a lot about the Cat's Meow. Where is it located? We were in Costa Maya a couple of years ago, but I don't remember anything about it, maybe it didn't exist then. Tell me all about it.

thanks,

leeleent

It is the village, Majahaul. A cab ride form the peir. they let you off at the begining of the village, the Cats Meow is there on the right as you enter the village. We had a good experience there both times we visited. Barbara, the owner, is a very nice lady. He husband is not such a people peson and should remain behind the scenes. We met our tour guide Iven there........he runs Native Way aong with a man called David..........great guys by the way and one of the best tours we have done!

The food was pretty good as I remember. Its a small place with outdoor seating.

I don't know why people are giving Barbara the benefit of the doubt. It sounds like the old good cop/bad cop scenario to me, with Barbara shmoozing the customers while George hits them up for more cash. If Barbara is really in charge and is such a great business woman like everyone says then I am sure she knows what is going on.

I WILL NOT be visiting Cat's Meow on my upcoming trip.

Maybe somebody is who going to this place in the next couple of months should print this out and hand deliver it to the female owner so she can see first hand the direct impact that this bad reputation has on her business.

I have read so many comments with specific details that I am convinced that this George guy is doing what he is accused of. I cannot believe that there is some kind of sinister conspiracy by competing businesses.

I will be in port in October and unless I read multiple responses saying that the owner is aware of this problem and has handled it, I will NOT give my business to this establishment no matter how good the food is.

Guess I just don't understand what all the hoopla is about regarding Cat's Meow. Been to Majahual twice over the past few months and will be there again the end of this year. Have seen Cat's Meow and walked by it on our way down the beach but was never enticed to stop there.

Cat's Meow may have an ``in'' with some since it is so close to a taxi drop off point and seems to be favored by some who feel a connection to the owner, for whatever that is worth.

Frankly, we have found some great places on down the beach to stop for a drink or meal that charged less and offered great service with no hastle about anything.

Looking forward to our next walk along the beach in late November to find another good place to just hang out for a drink, a bit of good food and a hastle free day in Costa Maya.

I'll try to remember to print this thread out and leave it with Barbara or whoever is at Cat's Meow that day.

Dianne

I don't know why people are giving Barbara the benefit of the doubt. It sounds like the old good cop/bad cop scenario to me, with Barbara shmoozing the customers while George hits them up for more cash. If Barbara is really in charge and is such a great business woman like everyone says then I am sure she knows what is going on.

I WILL NOT be visiting Cat's Meow on my upcoming trip.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I think you have hit on the answer.

And their scam seems to be working like a charm.

I admit that is not our favorite stop. been there twice and not impressed.

As our dollar keeps getting weaker, expect more ports to be less than thrilled at what we consider a good tip.

I was there in April and had no problems. I did tip Jorge up front (I think it was $10 but don't really remember) and he took good care of us. In fact, when it came time to settle the bill, he specifically stated I didn't need to tip as I had already taken care of him. I added some additional tip anyway as we had good service all day.

My opinion is that when you purchase food at the Cats Meow, you are paying extra for quality. We talked at length with Barbara and where she gets her supplies and the things she will and will not accept. She is a certified food inspector in Canada and as such, looks for higher quality supplies than perhaps others in Mahahual do. A very large number of the people that eat at the various establishments will never have any issues with food quality and safety but some will. We wne tinside and saw the kitchen and it was clean as a whistle! I personally prefer to pay a little more than the surrounding rates for the extra quality. Even at that, the prices are below what you can expect at most resorts and so I figure I got a pretty good deal. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Again, just my $.02 and experience - YMMV! Besides, the cats were cute. :D

My July 8th cruise is stopping in Costa Maya. I'm thankful on the tips with CM and George! I work hard all year, and the last thing I want when I'm on vacation is a snappy waiter who demands my money. I'm fair with my tips, but if a waiter asked for more, I'm afraid of what I might say after a few margaritas :eek:

But I do want a massage. I will probably go to one of the bars down the road. Do the other bars offer massages? Do any of them rent boats or jet skis or anything like that?

Thanks again, don't ever think your posts don't help those of us that are future cruisers! :)

Cruising Bob

Actually we were at the Cat's Meow and when we indicated that we wanted a massage, Jorge went and got her and another young lady. Teresa gave me a massage and she was absolutely womderful to the point where my wife was jealous! :)

To me George is wrong and is the Cat's Meow for allowing him to continue this practice

I agree with you.

And if George doesn't feel like he's making enough money there, he's free to find another job elsewhere!!!

Thanks for the massage tip! I will try to find Teresa although I'm not too picky.

Are you really serious about printing this thread off and taking it to CM and giving it to the owner? I don't mind doing that, but I have to imagine a lot of people complained about Jorge. The problem with touristy places is they know you will not be a repeat customer, so they don't care as much what you think after the fact. But... if they knew that people will avoid their place because of these threads, maybe they would do something about it. I am thankful for this thread because I have read other reviews on CM that raved about it, but of course, they didn't have Jorge as a waiter. If the owner doesn't care enough to do something about Jorge (I have to imagine she does know), then I would not give them my business, period. I'm going up the road, thanks ! :)

Lynn

I am sure George (Jorge) does just fine earning money. While I do not know the rate waiters are paid, I can tell you the labor rate for day labor is about $15 - $20 per day for Costa Maya. To put that in perspective the minimum salary in the state of Quintan Roo (where Costa Maya is located) is about $5.50 per day - that is day. Also, to put this in perspective a family can live on $500 per month ( why do you think so many from US and Canada have retired to Mexico).

Depending on his employment, his pay should also include medical care (Social Security - not the same as the states). The problem is some of the business do not pay the Social Security for their employees. Most of these are foreign owned business.

I do not agree with his actions. If I were his employer, we would have some serious discussion. Of course that is only valid if I, as his employer was being fair with him. Two sides to every story.

For what it is worth - just wanted to share about pay in Costa Maya.

Hello gaviota,

it seems to me, that you are very familiar with that area' of Costa Maya and what people do and what wages / ernings they have in that area. Perhaps you are from that area.

So it is difficult for me to understand why someone like George / Jorge would be so aggressive to ask or perhaps even demand higher tips from the people that 'seem to me' are already paying a lot higher prices than more than likely 'local' people would pay. Some of the drinks at 4, 5 or 6 dol per drink might not seem high to 'us' tourists from the US ( because 'we' compare the price with what it costs 'us' back home).....but it almost equals to what you posted as "the daily minimum wage of 5.50......so it seems to me not only "George" is taking advantage of his naive customers but the owner /owners of the bars do the same thing.....and they all do it beacause they can.

Where do the local 'people' eat and drink ? and do they pay the same prices ? would you know ? I am just curious .

Wes

I just returned from Costa Maya on 6/21. I was there on 6/18. We went to Cat's Meow. OH MY GOD----the coconut shrimp and the side of cole slaw was un-freakin-believable. Jorge is NO LONGER THERE. Barbara said that she cannot post any reply's here for some reason or another. So, I am here to tell you that Hugo was our waiter, and was very eager to serve. He was tipped very well as he was there every time I needed something. I still cannot get over how good the food was. I wish I could have it frozen in dry ice and ship it home. I live in New Orleans. You know that I know about good food!!!!

dsteber.....thanks for that information. We are going on the Fantasy in February 2008 and had scratched the Cat's Meow off of places to visit because of the bad reviews regarding Jorge. My wife said that she could not take the chance of having me stuck in a Mexican jail because some jerk would mouth off at me regarding the amount of his desired tip. I guess now the Coconut Shrimp is back on our "to try" list.

BTW dsteber, were you on the Fantasy out of New Orleans?

Was at Cat's Meow 6/11 with a group of 6. Had a great time. We spent the entire day in their tent area on the beach. We ate and drank cheaply and occupied our table and chairs for the day. We use the beach right there to.

The beach area is very small, but it isn't really crowded and it was good enough for a day lounging by the water.

Cat's Meow is one of the first places you'll see when you arrive in the "downtown" area.

Barbara and the staff were very nice. Our waiter was available for questions about vendors and anything we wanted that they didn't provide. We got massages right next door for $20/hour.

We tipped our waiter more then 15%. I will say now that after reading other posts we may have gotten taken a little. We asked to pay our bill 1/2 through the day because we didn't want it to get out of hand. We paid and tipped and we continued to order items. After a while our waiter came back and just mentioned that he had undercharged us by $7, but it was ok. Naturually we paid the $7 and tipped him again too. I wonder now if that was the truth or if he was padding his pocket a little more. Regardless -- the drinks were excellent, the food we had was good, the staff was nice, Barbara was around several times and was nice and we had a great time. Even if we overpaid it was still pretty cheap! We'd go back.

Just watch the drinks - they are strong and they will sneak up on you!!!

Yes, we were out of New Orleans on the Fantasy. DO NOT GET CABIN U103. It's a Cat 12, but the A/C was broken for our entire trip. My wife said the same thing about me ending up in a Mexican jail!!! But yes, Jorge is not there and Hugo did great. I made him show me his ID just to be certain!!! I am not a cole slaw type, but holy crap was it good!!! The wife said the quesadilla's were great, too. The slaw was a side that came with the coconut shrimp.

Archived