Tipping at Cats Meow and others

smileeys

Dstber: What did they do about your a/c being broken? They couldnt put you in another room? I guess not b/c of the catagory you were in right? Suite? Did they do anything special for you or are they going to give you a credit for you having to be uncomfortable? We are going on the Fantasy Cat 11 in April. Hubby likes it cold so I certainly cant have him complaining the whole time if the a/c isnt working that would be bad, lol...

Thanks for the update on cats meow. Did you tell barbara about this forum and all what is being said here? Maybe there will be better reports to follow now since he is gone.

Danielle

Boy I gotta have one of those massages, lol.. Cheap drinks?? I have read here they are like 5,6 & 7.00 per drink? Is that so in your case? I am wanting to take a tour of the ruins but either before or after we will have time to go there and have a drink and a massage for sure, and maybe some cocanut shrimp that I have heard so much about :D

Danielle

I just returned from Costa Maya on 6/21. I was there on 6/18. We went to Cat's Meow. OH MY GOD----the coconut shrimp and the side of cole slaw was un-freakin-believable. Jorge is NO LONGER THERE. Barbara said that she cannot post any reply's here for some reason or another. So, I am here to tell you that Hugo was our waiter, and was very eager to serve. He was tipped very well as he was there every time I needed something. I still cannot get over how good the food was. I wish I could have it frozen in dry ice and ship it home. I live in New Orleans. You know that I know about good food!!!!

Hey that's great news... as i had taken the Cat's Meow off my list to go to when we're there on July 13th...We were going to go to Perez Quadro..but after hearing that Jorge is gone...it's back on my list ...I can't wait to have those tasty coconut shrimp...yumm...:D

Yes, we were out of New Orleans on the Fantasy. DO NOT GET CABIN U103. It's a Cat 12, but the A/C was broken for our entire trip.

Thanks for that information. We are booked into cabin U-115. My wife and I are bringing my sister-in-law and a friend of the family. Looking forward to it as we are thinking it will become a 5 day drunk...laughing.

I just returned from Costa Maya on 6/21. I was there on 6/18. We went to Cat's Meow. OH MY GOD----the coconut shrimp and the side of cole slaw was un-freakin-believable. Jorge is NO LONGER THERE. Barbara said that she cannot post any reply's here for some reason or another. So, I am here to tell you that Hugo was our waiter, and was very eager to serve. He was tipped very well as he was there every time I needed something. I still cannot get over how good the food was. I wish I could have it frozen in dry ice and ship it home. I live in New Orleans. You know that I know about good food!!!!

That will be a BIG relief to everyone !

Cant wait for my trip back .

:D

quote=mommabean;10686805]You can say that again. :) We had our share of fun, didn't we, in spite of Jorge. At least he gave us a tipping story to tell.

I did love their Coconut Shrimp :D

and I loved the Mango Daquiri's at the place next door to the Cats Meow !:cool:

The water is so clear & beautiful there ...

I only have 109 days before I am heading back !

I am so excited !

Wish you & your sister were going with me Mommabean !

Maybe we can set something up after Tax season...

I did love their Coconut Shrimp :D

and I loved the Mango Daquiri's at the place next door to the Cats Meow !:cool:

The water is so clear & beautiful there ...

I only have 109 days before I am heading back !

I am so excited !

Wish you & your sister were going with me Mommabean !

Maybe we can set something up after Tax season...

Me, too!

And I sure hope so. That would be big fun to do it all over again - with the addition of Nancy, too. :)

• 2 weeks later...
We are heading to the ruins via Dave/Ivan on July 29...any idea if we can do the ruins and make it back to enjoy some coconut shrimp at the Cats Meow? Perhaps a swim too?

We did the Chacchoben ruins tour with Ivan in Sept. 2006, and after the tour had plenty of time to eat. After the tour Ivan dropped those who wanted to return to the port off, and then drove the rest of us back to the Cats Meow. We had a relaxed lunch and the food was quite good. My wife, who hates coconut, even liked the coconut shrimp. We didn't feel like in the beach, but would have had time if we had wanted to. I would guess we had about 2-3 hours there before we needed to head back to port.

We did the Chacchoben ruins tour with Ivan in Sept. 2006, and after the tour had plenty of time to eat. After the tour Ivan dropped those who wanted to return to the port off, and then drove the rest of us back to the Cats Meow. We had a relaxed lunch and the food was quite good. My wife, who hates coconut, even liked the coconut shrimp. We didn't feel like in the beach, but would have had time if we had wanted to. I would guess we had about 2-3 hours there before we needed to head back to port.

Thats good to hear...thanks for sharing that. We really wanted to do enjoy the water for maybe an hour + shrimp after Chacchoben. Thanks!

I was at Cat's Meow in March and George [Jorge] was our waiter. He did a wonderful job, was very helpful and accomodating and did not complain about the tip we left. I'm not sure what percentage we gave him, but I kept in mind that we only ordered a few drinks and one meal and stayed there all day. We paid 10 dollars for 2 chairs on the beach and when it began to rain we moved under the cabana. We left our stuff there while we shopped with George keeping an eye on our seats. The fact that we spent the whole time there a 15 percent tip for the small amount we ordered would have been too little, so we gave extra and I worried that maybe we didn't tip enough, but I kept in mind that we had paid for use of the chairs. Our experience there was wonderful and i would definitely go back. No complaints from us!

We've been to Cat's Meow twice and were never asked to pay for use of the chairs. Both times we ordered drinks and some appetizers, but we didn't spend a ton of money by any means.

I'm not paying $10 to sit on a pair of $5 resin chairs - I can understand asking people who use the chairs to purchase food and/or drink, but I'm not going to pay just to use the chairs.

I was at Cat's Meow in March and George [Jorge] was our waiter. He did a wonderful job, was very helpful and accomodating and did not complain about the tip we left. I'm not sure what percentage we gave him, but I kept in mind that we only ordered a few drinks and one meal and stayed there all day. We paid 10 dollars for 2 chairs on the beach and when it began to rain we moved under the cabana. We left our stuff there while we shopped with George keeping an eye on our seats. The fact that we spent the whole time there a 15 percent tip for the small amount we ordered would have been too little, so we gave extra and I worried that maybe we didn't tip enough, but I kept in mind that we had paid for use of the chairs. Our experience there was wonderful and i would definitely go back. No complaints from us!

What is up with that, do they make everyone pay for chairs and umbrellas or just select few?? I see some pay and some dont. I could see if you just wanted to sit there and not order anything then yes but not for paying customers. I have never been but I plan on going but if they tell me I have to pay for chairs I will be leaving and going where chairs are free for paying customers :rolleyes:

That is kinda weird dont you think??

Danielle

What is up with that, do they make everyone pay for chairs and umbrellas or just select few?? I see some pay and some dont. I could see if you just wanted to sit there and not order anything then yes but not for paying customers. I have never been but I plan on going but if they tell me I have to pay for chairs I will be leaving and going where chairs are free for paying customers :rolleyes:

That is kinda weird dont you think??

Danielle

Hi Danielle,

we were there at that beach at end of April , I did stop at Cat's Meow but they were pretty busy so we just continued 'down the street' ..... as we were walking. there were all kinds of offers: 5 dol chairs, 2 dol chairs, free chairs ....... I guess it all depends how many people they already 'got' ..... if they got many people already they might want to charge for a chair, if they got nobody - a free chair with hopes that you will buy something is better than an empty chair.

We did stop by one of the bars (do not remember the name) - chairs and the umbrella were free to use, we did order some water and cokes and that was all that we got charged for. Wife and DIL got the 20dol. massage right at the same place.

So my guess would be they will charge whatever they can charge as long as 'we' are willing to pay.

I do not know for sure, but I believe all the beach is free to use for anyone ....... and the chairs ( at least the ones that we used) were such poor quality that they can not cost much at all.

Wes

There seems to be lots of talk about the chairs and tables. We were here last week and it was THE BOMB......The food was great Chips salsa all day long, Conut. shrimp is as good if not better than all the boards say. Wife had Nachos (meat/cheese)...they were excellant. Several mixed drinks, frozen or on the rocks your choice. Met the owner Barbra, she was very sweet. George is no-longer employed here. He has been replaced by

Hulio (julio) I'm not a English professor. We stayed all day, there were 8 of us 4 adult and 4 kids...Total Bill $106.00......Tipped $25.00 extra He was GREAT !!!!

Right on the water KIDS LOVED IT

Gary

jambyfire@yahoo.com

Holiday 2001

Fantasy 2007

My wife & i spent the morning and part of the afternoon here on 7/19. Hugo took care of us and the day was great! My wife got a massage right there, the beef nachos, pico/salsa and chips were fantastic, and my wif says that the civechia (sp?) was the best she has ever had. Hugo also made sure that my diet coke addiction was covered!

We did speak with Barbara the owner for quite a while, and the subject of a certain "problem" past-employee came up. She knows that a lot of people wondered why it took so long for him to be gone, but she said that in Mexico there are certian labor laws and procedures that must be followed. She is a very kind woman and expressed that she hopes he will seek help with his problems.

Anyway, Barbara, Hugo, and the rest of the staff at the Cat's Meow made this the best day of our trip!

How much are the drinks there? I am confused. Some are saying it is cheap others are saying they are between $5-$7. To me that does not classify cheap. That is the cost of a drink where I live.

As for the chairs, I am confused there as well.

I will be on the Fantasy for NYE.

Prices I've seen recently on this thread for Cat's Meow seem a bit high to me in comparison to what DH & I have experienced on down the strip of other restaurants.

Been to the port twice in the past year and had a great time on both cruises but never felt the urge to pay the highter prices at Cat's Meow.

Dianne

Frozen drinks and mixed drinks.....both were very good, Wife and I had Pina-col and Margart's and kids had cokes.....The frozen drinks came in a large glass, and the cokes were in 20 oz bottles

Drinks were 4.25

Cokes were 2.00

If you dont like strong drinks ask Hugo to dial it down for you

Gary

Holiday 2001

Fantasy 2007

We went to the Cat's Meow in July. Hugo was our server. We had coconut shrimp and margaritas. Both were fantastic! Met Barbara and the cat. Bought a t-shirt and got a tour of the kitchen. This place is awesome! :D

We went to the Cat's Meow in July. Hugo was our server. We had coconut shrimp and margaritas. Both were fantastic! Met Barbara and the cat. Bought a t-shirt and got a tour of the kitchen. This place is awesome! :D

Thanks for the picture..I was wondering what the beach looked like from the restaurant. I pictured it more rocky..I can't wait now! We have a huge group going in September and can't wait to taste the cocunut shrimp!

Thanks for the picture..I was wondering what the beach looked like from the restaurant. I pictured it more rocky..I can't wait now! We have a huge group going in September and can't wait to taste the cocunut shrimp!

You're in for a real treat with the beach. There's a sand bar located many yards out that allows the water to be crystal clear and give off shades of turquoise, light blue and aqua. The beach is beautiful most of the way up the path along other restaurants as well.

The beach up by Costa Maya where the ships dock isn't nearly as pristine and beautiful as it is in Majahual. But then the water isn't deep enough to dock a ship in Majahual.

Guess that's why they built a swimming pool at the Costa Maya pier and have cheap taxi service to Majahual for tourists.

Costa Maya pier is interesting and has a lot of shops that are over priced (IMHO) from other Mexican ports we've visited. But the waters of Majauhal are worth the visit.

Dianne

Archived