Passport??? If not, why not?

sail7seas

Couldn`t imagine not having one! I have carried a passport for about 50 years, first a UK one then an American one. It is the safest and best form of ID and I personally can`t understand why some people resist obtaining one......jean

Got my first passport when I was in high school for a trip to Italy and Spain. That was more years ago than I care to think about.

Then I got another one about 5 years ago when I went to England. GF has had one almost all her life, (spoiled little rich girl *LOL*)

Though I am certainly not a world traveler by any means, they do make travelling a lot easier, regardless of the destination.

Sail, in one word "cost". If it were just me, or me and dw, I'd probably have one now. But the cost of four is just something I'm not willing to spend if I don't have to. We're not at a point in our lives that it crimps our style. It's not like we can go on last minute trips to Europe.

With that said, we still may get them soon as I'm well aware of the possible problems if we have to disembard unexpectedly.

Having a passport is the only way to go. Carrying a passport is easier than bringing Birth Certificate, Naturalization Papers, Marriage Certificate.....and it is a bargain - since it is good for 10 years - We don't leave for a cruise without them.

I think you will find in the next few coming years they will be mandatory in order to cruise.. Many Countries and Island governments are getting more and more fussy about who's coming ashore on their land. With all the termoil in the world, who'd blame them.. If you have a family, just get a couple a year to avoid any financial impact on yourself.. You won't be sorry... Bombero

Absolutely, we all have them.

Even going to Canada, while not required, it sure is easier with a passport than a BC.

It is especially great for the children who do occasionally need photo identification. They are not old enough to drive, so this works for SAT's and such.

We all have them. Our kids first cruise was from Costa Rica through the canal, they were required. DH & I have had them since our early 20's. Our kids are just about ready to expire and they will be renewed.

The ease of having passports while traveling is worth the expense. Our family breezes through most lines while others are struggling with various documents.

I wish I could keep using my old picture though! :D

Orcrone, I understand fully where you are coming from, being the mother of 4 children. When they were small, thank goodness the Air Force paid for them. Why not just buy one at a time, sure would make it easier on your wallet! But do get them.....jean :cool:

May I ask how much a U.S. passport costs?

Here in Canada, they are only good for 5 years and the cost is

Adult 16 and up $85.00Cdn = $64.00 US

Children 3-15 $35 = $27US

3 and under $20 = 16 US

Spender - Wow - that's cheap compared to ours.

The first thing I did after getting my citizenship was to get a passport. Finally got my first foreign country stamp in it about 18 years later. Doesn't matter -- I've always considered it my most prized possession and a symbol of limitless opportunities.

Good for you Cactuslady... Enjoy your freedom....

The first thing I did after getting my citizenship was to get a passport. Finally got my first foreign country stamp in it about 18 years later. Doesn't matter -- I've always considered it my most prized possession and a symbol of limitless opportunities.

We have had passports for many years, and our children have also had them. Their first overseas trip was in 1981 when we moved to Izmir, Turkey. Hopefully, they will keep them renewed. We just renewed our youngest daughter's this past March, and it is good for ten years now.

We take them on every trip outside the US that we go on.

Mary Ellen

Esme....

For U.S. adults, passports are good for ten years.

I think they may only be good for 5-7 years for children.....I suppose that is because their photo needs redoing as they grow up???

Esme....

For U.S. adults, passports are good for ten years.

I think they may only be good for 5-7 years for children.....I suppose that is because their photo needs redoing as they grow up???

Our children's were issued for five years. I think it is due to the photo - my kids do not look at all like their photos, and their passports will expire in 3/2005.

Be serious. With the political situation around the world today I can't imagine traveling without a passport, no matter where I was going. If anything happened or if I needed embassy help to get home, I don't think I'd want to depend on a birth certificate and a drivers license for ID.

I hate to say it, but if the cost of a passport is a problem I think maybe you should rethink an expensive vacation like a cruise and get the passport first. ;)

I just heard on the news this morning that the photo scanners for the passport photos have trouble with a smile! So pretty soon we will all be required to have no smile in our passport photo! This was not a joke, I heard it on Good Morning America. Might as well call them mug shots! And how will they decide who is smiling and who is just pleasant looking? :rolleyes: Perhaps they could run them past the CC Board. Poll each photo to see if it passes for no smile then let the dress code police at them!

Archived