dinner in honolulu

oswaldjacoby

I've always been partial to Duke's. It's in the Outrigger on the Beach across from the International Market Place. The ambience is outstanding and the

pupus(appetizers) can be a meal by themselves although they do have excellent entrees. It does tend to get crowded around supper time so if you can make reservations, that's a plus. Here's a link http://www.dukeswaikiki.com/

bug dan - thanks for the link to Duke's. I am eagerly awaiting our trip to Hawaii (just 40 days away) and DH has been reading about Duke's and wondering what they had to offer. We will be making our reservations in the next few days. Thanks again!

If you want a fun meal - go to the Shorebird at the Outrigger. make reservations before hand so that you can have a table right on the beach. it is an open-air restaurant. (reservations are not required, you can always wait for a beachfront table). You order your meat (steak, chicken, or seafood), and you cook it yourself on an open-air grill. It is served with the salad bar that includes hot and cold dishes. It is really fun, and if you get a table by the beach, it is about 10 or so feet from the water. Really fun and different. We go there every time we go to Oahu!

Anyplace a little LESS $$$ than dukes???

Or should I expect to pay $125 for a dinner for 4 ?

I am personally going to Red Lobster, yum. There are always the usual places like Outback Steakhouse or Cheeseburger in Paradise. I'm not going to HI for the food anyway. You might want to be more specific about what you are looking for. What type of food, atmosphere/beach setting, what area etc. Outback & Red Lobster are on Ala Moana blvd near Waikiki according to their websites.

If you're looking for something inexpensive, there's always Smorgy's at Kuhio and Kaiulani. I think the supper buffet is around $10. I've mentioned this before on posts that my wife and I are members of the Elk's. We usually eat at Lodge 616 on Kalakaua Ave up by the fountain, drinks and food are very reasonable. I definitely recommend membership in the Elks as you not only can get involved in some worthwhile activities in your own Lodge, you can also visit other Lodges throughout the USA.

If you want a fun meal - go to the Shorebird at the Outrigger. make reservations before hand so that you can have a table right on the beach. it is an open-air restaurant. (reservations are not required, you can always wait for a beachfront table). You order your meat (steak, chicken, or seafood), and you cook it yourself on an open-air grill. It is served with the salad bar that includes hot and cold dishes. It is really fun, and if you get a table by the beach, it is about 10 or so feet from the water. Really fun and different. We go there every time we go to Oahu!

This sounds great EXCEPT for the cook it yourself part! I hate cooking and I sure dont want to do it on vacation! But,the rest sounds good!

This sounds great EXCEPT for the cook it yourself part! I hate cooking and I sure dont want to do it on vacation! But,the rest sounds good!

Don't worry. It's not like cooking at home. It's more like a "game" that everyone at the table plays together.

beachchick

Don't worry. It's not like cooking at home. It's more like a "game" that everyone at the table plays together.

beachchick

Now that sounds even more interesting! Im trying to imagine..I think I might see if they have anything about this on their website. Dot

You pay for the view when your on the Beach.

There are a number of restaurants in the Waikiki area that are less expensive a block or two off of Kalakaua Avenue (Main Drag on Waikiki)

Chili's Restaurant, Ray's Pizza, Pizza Hut, Dennys, on Kuhio Ave and the side streets. A lot of Chinese, Mexican eateries, pubs, all you can eat, etc.

Explore when you arrive you'll find a place you'll be happy with.:)

Click to Enlarge

<a href=2519856000079335670S425x425Q85.jpg' alt=

• 2 months later...

Dinner by the beach doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg, but it's not going to be cheap either. You might look into House without a Key at the Halekulani. It's their more casual restaurant. I don't know about dinner, but lunch (with drinks and including tip) cost DH and me only about $40. Figure dinner would be more (and depend on what you ordered and how many courses, of course). Maybe $100 for four? Not totally cheap, but really good view in an outstanding location. The Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian has casual bar food and again, isn't cheap because it's right by the beach. Outdoors, perfect location, and good drinks. Maybe $90 for four (again depending on how many drinks and what you order)? I'm calculating one drink each and an entree with fries or salad (plus a couple of appetizers at House without a Key). If you're there on a Friday night, the cheapest "on the beach" dinner is going to be getting takeout or picnic food and heading down to the Hilton (HHV) because they do a fireworks display on Friday evenings. You could absolutely picnic on the beach. It's a very nice time, IMO. You aren't allowed to have alcohol on the beach though, if that's a consideration. For us, it's no biggie. We always have a drink at the Mai Tai Bar or Duke's. Oh, you could also eat downstairs at the bar seating at Duke's. There's a balcony right over the beach. We had an excellent casual dinner there one evening. The crab and mac nut wontons are killer!!! Appetizer, two entrees, and one drink for each of us was about $45 (inclusive).

beachchick

If you are in Waikiki on a Saturday or Sunday night, here's another option for a fairly inexpensive meal http://www.sunsetonthebeach.net/ Also don't forget the Entertainment Book has discounts for many restaurants in the area.. In 1993 they even had a $30 off for the Royal Hawaiian. Our bill was still $90 after the discount. Haven't seen any discount for the Royal Hawaiian lately, but they still have a discount for Nick's Fish Market.

GWoodman,

Here's the link for the Elks, check under lodge locator for one near you, you could still probably get in by Oct;)

http://www.elks.org

Many moons ago my husband flew Air Force trips with layovers in Hawaii. A few times he took me to see his haunts, and one place is the Shore Bird restaurant in the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. We plan on returning. I looked it up and it looks like it's still good, with "grill your own steaks and fresh fish". It might be worth checking. :)

We are planning our 7th trip to Honolulu and we have 2 places that we always go. The first is the Beach Bar under the Banyon Tree at the Moana Surfrider. They have live music and the Mai Tais and appetizers are wonderful. More than enough for dinner. You can watch the sunset and the ocean in a relaxed Hawaiian setting. The other is Cheeseburgers in Paradise. It is right across from Waikiki Beach and it is just a fun place to go for any meal.

We are planning our 7th trip to Honolulu and we have 2 places that we always go. The first is the Beach Bar under the Banyon Tree at the Moana Surfrider. They have live music and the Mai Tais and appetizers are wonderful. More than enough for dinner. You can watch the sunset and the ocean in a relaxed Hawaiian setting. The other is Cheeseburgers in Paradise. It is right across from Waikiki Beach and it is just a fun place to go for any meal.

Sunset from the Banyon Tree Bar. We had drinks there waiting for our table at Duke's. :)

<a href=2615496530079335670S500x500Q85.jpg' alt=

Archived