book shore excursions now or wait?

travelcrazy006

:confused: i still can't decide if i should book my shore excursions now for my early july princess southbound cruise. on one hand i am afraid to wait, what if they book up? but so may of you say to wait because of the weather. i checked on the website that tells what ships are in port on certain days. in skagway there a total of 4 ships that day, juneau- 2 ships, ketchikan just my ship.

help, i really don't know what to do!!

my suggestion is to book now for any of the "big ticket" excursions (whale watching, heli tours, floatplanes, etc.) and wait on the smaller stuff (Mt. Roberts tram, lumberjack show, etc)

Friends of ours who are on our cruise (46 days to go) finally got around to trying to book the floatplane trip DH and I are on and it is all booked up. We booked in January and they waited until the last minute.

For many of the "big ticket" excursions weather is not an issue, whale watching for example, happens rain or shine.

It's up to you but if there is something that you absolutely positively HAVE to do I'd say book now.

Happy cruising!

some of the independents, don't have offices to just walk up and buy a ticket. some do...if space available, orca enterprises has an office at the docks. some tours have limited space, just because you don't have many ships in port, doesn't mean the flightseeing or heli trips won't be booked up.

skagway train: the cruiselines have their own trains for the round-trip train...tickets usually available on the ship, possibly the morning of. my SIL got her family tickets that morning, we had tickets booked before we cruised. same price, same train. for the combo trips..trains 1-way, bus another...they can fill up early.

mt roberts tram is right at the docks, just walk up and buy a ticket...no reason to pre-book. mendenhall glacier has shuttle running during the day,

no reason to pre-book for this either.

in ketchikan, lumberjack show...you can buy tickets in the store. (in front of the arena).

so, yes, for the really important things that could sell out..you are going to want to pre-book.

I agree with what has already been said! I booked helo-glacier landing, whale watching, and Misty Fjords floatplane MONTHS ago to make sure I got what I want. If weather doesn't cooperate, I can get my money back on the helicopter or floatplane. As already mentioned, other tours can wait. Good luck! :)

We don't leave till the end of August, but booked most of our big, or main excursions in Dec/Jan. WE were able to get what we wanted, when we wanted, and still leave us free time, to decide whatever at a whim.

Well I tried but am having a hard time getting the day in for that site--someone will have a better site I am sure. sorry about that :(

Actually if you put the date place in & use all--then yes for other ships it WILL bring up the day & port & what ships will be in port with you---although I have one that shows all of our dates & ships--just not sure how I got it

actually it was a different website that i found the port info. i got it from someone on this site but now i can't remember which thread, hopefully that person will come in with it. i also had trouble getting info on the one just mentioned. thank you all for your advise, there is only one excursion that i definitely want to do, that's the zipline in juneau. i think i will try to book it now and hope for best.

actually it was a different website that i found the port info. i got it from someone on this site but now i can't remember which thread, hopefully that person will come in with it. i also had trouble getting info on the one just mentioned. thank you all for your advise, there is only one excursion that i definitely want to do, that's the zipline in juneau. i think i will try to book it now and hope for best.

Try this:

http://www.claalaska.com/schedules.html

I ALWAYS, recommend having all plans and reservations in place before you go. Time is way short in port to be wasting time trying to book something. - Unless that is your PLAN. :)

Tours at the dock will be VERY limited and maybe not convenient time slots left either.

Make the most of your time, by planning ahead.

does the train/bus trip have to be booked through the cruiseline or are there independent companies that also do this tour? the cruiseline trip is so long, more than 6 hours. someone on this site mentioned a 3 hour trip, i like the sounds of that better - does anyone know anything about it?

:confused: i still can't decide if i should book my shore excursions now for my early july princess southbound cruise. on one hand i am afraid to wait, what if they book up? but so may of you say to wait because of the weather. i checked on the website that tells what ships are in port on certain days. in skagway there a total of 4 ships that day, juneau- 2 ships, ketchikan just my ship.

help, i really don't know what to do!!

Our Neets Bay bear cruise is already wait list only and that is for the beginning of August! i am glad we already signed up. Cancellation deadlines are very close to the actual excursion date.

Archived