Paris public transportation/subway?

My parents just gave me another assignment to look up how to get around Paris. I'm a little worried because they don't know a word of French (and limited English).

They have booked on a Paris to Paris River cruise on Uniworld's Baroness next week. The embarkation location (stated in their travel document) for my parents' Paris-Paris cruise is Port de Javel Bas by Pont du Garigliano. To make this matter more complicated, Uniworld's France Companion Guide said that cruisers without airport transfers need to call Uniworld to find out the embarkation location on the day of travel because embarkation locations change all the time. I'm assuming the embarkation location will be somewhere on the Seine, so I'm just going to assume they will embark at Port de Javel Bas.

They'll fly into Amsterdam (because they have a ticket there already) and take the train to Paris. I believe Amsterdam to Paris train arrives at Paris' Gare du Nord. I googled Pont du Garigliano and found out that Pont du Garigliano is a bridge in the 15th district (Javel). I wonder how far is the Baroness' docking port to the Javel subway station (or the Boulevard Victor subway station)? Does anyone know?

I also checked googled Paris Subway map, but the map that I found showed that my parents can take Line 4 from Gare du Nord, then switch to Line 10 in either St. Michel or Odeon which will take them to Javel. Then I see RER C5 and C7 goes to Boulevard Victor. But that may not even be the subway stop that is closest to Port de Javel Bas.

What is the difference between RER C and Line 4 and 10? Is that a different subway system?

Is there a better website that I can find out about subway travel within Paris?

TIA.

Line 4 and Line 10 are metro lines; the RER is a regional (surface) railway system. Different systems, therefore. The stations may be close together, even on the same spot, but I believe that passengers have to go through ticket barriers at least once, possibly twice, to change between them.

The public transport systems would be cheaper, but is harder to negotiate, especially for non-french speakers - it would be foolish to rely on encountering any english speakers on the Paris transport system. Better for your parents to write their destination on a piece of paper and take a taxi from Gare du Nord.

(Word of warning #1: tell them to ignore the helpful-looking young men shouting "you want a taxi?" outside the Gare du Nord - they'll get taken to an unlicensed vehicle. Tell them to walk firmly out of the station and look for the real taxis - they all have signs. I have always found Paris taxis to be honest.)

(Word of reassurance #1: everyone but everyone working in public transport in Amsterdam speaks excellent english. The staff at Schiphol airport station can switch between languages instantly.)

Line 4 and Line 10 are metro lines; the RER is a regional (surface) railway system. Different systems, therefore. The stations may be close together, even on the same spot, but I believe that passengers have to go through ticket barriers at least once, possibly twice, to change between them.

The beginning is correct:

All NUMBERED services are operated by RATP the Paris Transport Authorities as Subway.

All LETTERED services are operated by SNCF the French Railways - while A and B is a joint service of SNCF and RATP where two services are connected together to offer through-services. C is a pure SNCF-service which replaces a former commuter train service which is now part of the RER-system. It's more regional: Réseau Express Regional = Regional Express Network.

It's for passenger one system as you get one ticket and transfers can be made from one to the next without having a new ticket.

The best is to check with

http://www.ratp.fr

Regards,

HeinBloed

I lived in Versailles for a year so I am very familiar with the RER C!

I wouldn't worry about getting around the Métro without English, as long as you know what line you will be on and which direction. In the Métro, each line has 2 destinations, make sure they board going in the right direction.

At Gare de Nord, they would want line 4 towards Port d'Orléans. Then I would switch to the RER C at St. Michel. If you do this, it's only one transfer for them. Also a little more direct than the 10 line. They should be able to take any train that starts with a V (Vick I know was one of them) which will be going to the west towards Versailles. Then just hop off at Javel.

I'm not sure how far the Javel station is from the bridge (pont) but I do know that the Javel stop is right on the river, so as they leave the station they should be able to look up and down the river for the dock. Just as a reference is used to take me maybe 10 minutes to walk from RER stop to RER stop on the RER C line, so they are not extremely far apart, and hopefully won't have to do very much walking.

Also, make sure they save their Métro ticket, as they may need to re-insert it once they switch from Métro system to the RER system at St. Michel. No cost to transfer if you are still within Paris. They will also need it to LEAVE the RER station at Javel. So keep them handy! Just slide it into the machine and it will pop up on the top.

I found that Paris has one of the easiest public transit systems to get around. There are maps in each station if they happen to get confused, and no shame looking at them!

One last thing - at St. Michel have them follow the signs for the RER once they get off the Métro train. As long as they are looking out for the signs and follow them, there shouldn't be any problems. If I remember correctly, it is the "same" station for both Métro and RER, but there is one long hallway that they will walk down which has people movers. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I can only assume your folks have spent thousands of dollars on this trip so I am at a loss to understand why they would even consider taking a metro and/or RER from train station to quay. If they are going to arrive in Paris the day the cruise begins, they should get in a taxi and go to where the ship will be docked. If not, their hotel should be able to make the calls and get them headed in the right direction. Advise them that there is no one to assist with baggage at the train stations and that they should avoid helpful little men who make it seem they need assistance to go a few hundred yards (a problem in Paris). As a final note, you can walk for miles in the Paris metros while changing lines and encounter stairs/escalators at any stage - exhausting with just a purse, nevermind a suitcase!!

I can only assume your folks have spent thousands of dollars on this trip so I am at a loss to understand why they would even consider taking a metro and/or RER from train station to quay. If they are going to arrive in Paris the day the cruise begins, they should get in a taxi and go to where the ship will be docked. If not, their hotel should be able to make the calls and get them headed in the right direction. Advise them that there is no one to assist with baggage at the train stations and that they should avoid helpful little men who make it seem they need assistance to go a few hundred yards (a problem in Paris). As a final note, you can walk for miles in the Paris metros while changing lines and encounter stairs/escalators at any stage - exhausting with just a purse, nevermind a suitcase!!

The Métro is quick and easy to get around on. If you don't make yourself an easy target for those annoy little men, chances are you won't be. A firm "non" and a glare work wonders. (I never had a problem on the Métro the entire time I was there - 9 months.)

However, now that I'm out of college and have a "real job", I might consider taking a taxi too. Most likely though, I would still take public transit while in a foreign city. Just a personal preference. I like relying on myself, it's not really a matter of money. Maybe the OP is this way, too (I wonder what they ended up doing?)

We made the mistake of taking the train and metro from CDG into Paris (Left Bank). We had a lot of luggage and there was a lot of walking and stairs when we changed trains.

Have your parents take a taxi from the train station. Unless they are very light packers dragging luggage is not recommended.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived