May 2008 or September 2008 - which is prefered for first Alaska trip?

sppunk

We're decided on Alaska in 2008, and pretty much 100 percent sold on Princess following our cruise last week on the Caribbean Princess. Add in that Princess visits Glacier Bay, we're set on them most likely.

The only decision left is which month to travel. We are unfortunately on a tight budget (hey, we just got out of college two years ago!) and these months will be far cheaper when prices are released next week. Which is preferable to you Alaska veterans?

The itinerary will likely feature Vancouver > Whitier and include Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, College Fjord and Glacier Bay. I think we'd prefer this over the Seattle or Vancouver round trips because Glacier Bay is included and, from what we hear and have read on this board, the best option for first-timres.

Any opinion is appreciated!

we did a round-trip out of seattle, sept of last year. we didn't have the time to do a land tour and didn't want to do a 1-way without that extra land/tour time. we did the NCL star, last year it did glacier bay..this year the NCL pearl will do glacier bay.

we knew the weather could be iffy no matter when you do. we had rain/sleet in juneau, rain in ketchikan..but beautiful for glacier bay and all sea days. who knows? daytime temps ranged from 40s to 60s.

we had changing of the leaves, less crowds...since we were the last week of cruises of the season..some of the stores were getting empty. good prices, lots of markdowns. some things may not be available that late in the season (sept 17-24)..you need to check dates for car rentals, some excursions. we were too late for any of the salmon runs, since the bears like the salmon..we were too late for them, also. whale watching was great, views were outstanding and we loved our ship...great cruise all around.

We ourselves will be doing the late August/early September Alaska in 2008 (and 2007) because our schedule does not work at any other time. But if we could, we would like to go in May for something new. I understand that May is a relatively dry period in Alaska and is also pretty quiet. And of course, the cruise pricing tends to be rather good for May travels. I wish we could do May....

Some people get lucky and get good weather in September, but your odds are far better if you go in late May or early June, and there are still great deals available - http://www.youralaskacruise.com/cruise-weather.html for current weather and historic averages (note - not early May, which can still be very cold and nasty - like this year :( ).

Murray

Thank you all for your help - we'll likely eye a trip over the Memorial Day holiday to get a free day of vacation. ;)

Thanks - a few more questions will surface as I continue our research, I'm certain! I would love Princess to do a r/t Glacier Bay cruise, but alas they do not. I am not a fan of NCL unfortunately, so the Pearl run out of Seattle isn't an option.

Oh well! Perhaps we can spend an extra two days or so on the end and visit the area around Anchorage a bit. Woo!

HAL does round-trips that include Glacier Bay, so why not take a look? I have never taken HAL, but would like to try them sometime. Years ago Princess did run r/t into Glacier Bay, and I did one on an old Star Princess. I wish Princess brought the itinerary back.

we did princess sun in 2004 and loved it! We went first week of August and the weather was perfect. I can't help you with the other months.

We are looking to go back in august of 2008 for my mom's 70th! The dates/itineraries/prices are listed on some online travel sites now!

I haven't seen prices and dates for Princess yet - they don't open booking until May 14.

jacksan1, HAL is an option but the prices are usually several hundred dollars (per person) over Princess. I will definitely price out HAL, though. Do you per chance know when they will be releasing their 2008 full itinerary?

I met my husband 20 years ago on a round trip from Seattle cruise to Alaska on the Pacific Princess. We cruised the last week of Sep that year. Only went as far North as Ketchikan because the primary port was Vancouver for the Canadian Expo (World's Fair).

Last year we cruised on the Dawn Princess roundtrip from Seattle stopping at Ketchikan, Skagway, & Juneau and Tracy Arm. Had a wonderful time. Cruised mid-Sep on this cruise.

We have had good weather both times we sailed to Alaska. Only rain one evening. Light weight jackets except for cruising Tracy Arm or Misty Fjord where we had to bundle up.

Next year we are headed back and Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier is a MUST see this time. Holland America goes roundtrip out of Seattle and cruises Glacier Bay OR Hubbard depending on the ship. RCCL does a 14 night ultimate Alaska cruise with many, many ports and Hubbard Glacier. It leaves from Vancouver and after cruising Alaska comes down the coast to San Diego. So you have many choices plus more.

One thing we factor into our decision is the cost of air fare. It is pretty expensive to fly roundtrip to Vancouver. Seattle is affordable. Flying to Vancouver and home from San Diego is affordable too. Another factor is the cost of the cruise. Cruising in Sep or May definitely will give you more affordable rates. We are going back next year in Sept also. (wish we could go this year ... we love Alaska cruising).

So many choices. Have fun deciding.

Thank you all for your help - we'll likely eye a trip over the Memorial Day holiday to get a free day of vacation. ;)

Thanks - a few more questions will surface as I continue our research, I'm certain! I would love Princess to do a r/t Glacier Bay cruise, but alas they do not. I am not a fan of NCL unfortunately, so the Pearl run out of Seattle isn't an option.

Oh well! Perhaps we can spend an extra two days or so on the end and visit the area around Anchorage a bit. Woo!

Princess does a May round trip from SF and two September (8 & 18) this year to Glacier Bay and Sitka. These are the only round trips that Princess does that include Glacier Bay. We are booked on the 11 day 9/18/07 out of SF.

Don

There are a lot of options, and I too think end of May superior to Sept.

Although you say you are not a fan of NCL in Alaska, sometimes more important is OFF the ship. :) Their Glacier Bay itinerary is convenient, freestyle is wonderful in Alaska.

Look also at HAL as already mentioned.

As a another cost saving option- block out your flight and book as long as you can. THEN pick up a last minute cruise- EVERY year May dumps rock bottom cruises, mostly on HAL and Princess. There were availablities EVERY week recently.

Thanks - a few more questions will surface as I continue our research, I'm certain! I would love Princess to do a r/t Glacier Bay cruise, but alas they do not.

You're in luck in 2008! The Tahitian Princess will do 14-day roundtrips from Vancouver - going to Glacier Bay: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=543689&page=4

Budget Queen, that (to wait on the cruise) is an interesting idea I've never thought about. I'm such a planner, I think it might drive me absolutely nuts to not have everything pinned down at one time though! :)

I'd be so fearful of booking airfare (say for instance open jaw for Vancouver and Anchorage) only to get to early 2008 and have prices be incredibly high or the ships booked for the dates I have airfare for!

Archived