Where do Cruise Ships go when they are retired?

There is an old joke that cruise ships don't die, they go to Greece. Basically ships just get sold from one company to another down the line as they get older and older. Eventually they would be scrapped if they don't sink first but that is a LONG way down the line. I know there is a website out there somewhere that tells you where old cruise ships are now but I don't know where it is. Anyone else?

Usually to the breakers where they are disassembled and cut up for scrap becoming the next cruise ship!

India has one of the biggest operations and is currently in the process of trying to break up the S/S Norway nee S/S France in Port Alang.

If you are interested in where some ships have gone, you can try http://www.maritimematters.com/index.html

They have a lot of information about where ships are now.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi There,

As the new batch of cruise ships say from 1960,s are still newish most are still sailing on,

They just get passed down the line,

Some like the early Cunard or RCI ships have been bought and sold 4 or 5 times,

The Thomson Destiny was the Air Tours Sunbird was the RCI something was it Song of American can not recall but you get the idea.

But they all end up in the Greek Isles at some point.

yours Shogun

Cruise Ship Heaven - A Great Big Bath Tub in the Sky, with a rubber ducky for each one :D

just a crossed my mine. when cruise ships in general get to old or are un-cruiseable what is done with them?

Princess send them down under!! The Regal Princess is retiring to the P&O Australia fleet as the "New Pacific Dawn" P&O Australia's first superliner.

CruiseKidz

CruiseKidz is right. They go to Australia for a while - which is on the way to India (and Port Alang for break-up).

Old cruise ships don't die they just ..............

........sail off into the sunset.

I think the expected service life for most ships is around 30 years. It depends on how hard the ships have been pushed during their service life. With care and attention some last a longer time. Eventually, they all end up as scrap.

CruiseKidz is right. They go to Australia for a while - which is on the way to India (and Port Alang for break-up).

You beat me to it!!:D Why do we always get the second and third hand ships that always seem to run into trouble??

Though I must say Regal will certainly raise the cruise standard here in Oz:) .(that is if they don't change too much!!):rolleyes:

just a crossed my mine. when cruise ships in general get to old or are un-cruiseable what is done with them?

The other poster's are right, they all eventually end up in Alang, India. About a year ago the Discovery channel broadcast an hour long show on Alang. They drive the ships (cruise and cargo) right up on the beach, run 'em aground.

Then an army of workers descend on the ship and strip it of everything, the last step is a crew that cuts up the metal plates so they can be recycled. The working conditions are awful, many of the workers are injured and/or killed during the process. In addition all the chemicals on the ship are simply drained on to the beach, they're ruining the environment. Why is it allowed to continue? It's the cheapest way for the owners to dispose of the ships.

OK... taking a slight tangent and keeping this a Princess topic, where have the "old" Princess ships gone? I know that the old Royal is now the P&O "Artemis" but where are the old Pacific and Crown?

Shark Bait! .....Great White that is :p

You're right about the Regal, she is a beautiful Lady!

You beat me to it!!:D Why do we always get the second and third hand

OK... taking a slight tangent and keeping this a Princess topic, where have the "old" Princess ships gone? I know that the old Royal is now the P&O "Artemis" but where are the old Pacific and Crown?

In 1998 the Pacific Princess was impounded by police in Piraeus, Greece after 25kg of heroin was found on board, smuggled by two Filipino crew men.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_(ship)

Sea Venture was renamed Pacific Princess (1), and served with Princess until 2003 when she passed to Spanish Operator Pullmantur and renamed Pacific.

from

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/PandOPrincessPCs.html#anchor166437

Darn that brings back memories seeing the Big Red Boat over there. Hubby and I sailed her in 1987. I think the oldest ship we actually ever sailed was the Azure Seas that was the Oceanbreeze last I checked. She was built in the mid 50's as the Southern Cross.

6h70h3m.jpg

Archived